Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:30 AM

9 posts, read 24,602 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your responces - they are all different but all valid - at least it is helping me to narrow my search from your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:50 PM

11 posts, read 71,991 times
English Rob,

If you're moving from the UK, I strongly feel that you will not like the central valley. It is hot, dry, dusty, treeless, featureless, dull, boring, hot, and dry. Look at a map and anything along Interstate 5 is a place to avoid.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM

110 posts, read 753,409 times
The central coast is about equidistant from both SF & LA & not far from Bakersfield. Santa Ynez Valley is a great place to raise kids.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 PM

22 posts, read 117,675 times
Hi English Rob,

I am a real estate agent in the Visalia area and am currently working with another couple relocating here from the UK. They were looking for something in the central valley and absolutely love Visalia. There are some fabulous schools here, it is very family oriented, you are just an hour away from some nice lakes, you are close to the mountains, Yosemite, and its only a two hour drive to the coast, about an hour from Bakersfield, and about 3 hours to Los Angeles. Housing has become more affordable and it is amazing what you can buy in Visalia for $750,000. It seems to be a great central point for most people who work in the Los Angeles area and the bay area. We also have our own airport, which would be convenient for you as well. It may be a place to at least consider. Let me know if you would like me to send you some pictures and info on some of the homes here. There are also some great rentals because the market has been so slooooowwww!!! Good Luck!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 PM

43 posts, read 189,879 times
Santa Clarita might be a good choice for you. It's a suburb north of LA with good schools, and it is very safe with a lot of new homes. It is also accessible to Bakersfield via a pretty easy drive (probably 60-70 miles to Bakersfield), and it is close to LA.

Just a thought.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:57 AM

Thank you all for your replies; since I wrote my question things have progressed - it looks like the LA area will be the place for me to move to. I will be needing to rent for 6-12 months. Does anyone know the best district, within a 40 mile radius of LA, that will be safe and have good schools please?
Rob

Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 PM

Thank you all for your replies; since I wrote my question things have progressed - it looks like the LA area will be the place for me to move to. I will be needing to rent for 6-12 months. Does anyone know the best district, within a 40 mile radius of LA, that will be safe and have good schools please?
Rob

Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 AM

4,545 posts, read 12,420,913 times
If you are focusing on LA, are you particularly interested in being within 40 miles of the refineries in Long Beach? If so that could put Orange County into play as a place to live. When considering LA you have to understand that 40 miles away can mean a 40 minute commute or a 90 minute commute depending on the way the traffic flows. Therefore you may want to give us some idea as to where your work in LA will most likely be concentrated.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:16 AM

16 posts, read 73,810 times
If you are interested in the Valley Village area, (within 5-10 minutes of everything), I know a house for rent, 3 br, 1&1/2 bath, nice back yard opening to field. End of a quiet cul de sac. I think the rent is appx 2500 per month. I'll get a number for you if you are interested.
WJ

Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,091,642 times
Might recommend saying hi on this messageboard as well:

USA : British Expat Discussion Forum

Will give you some of the peculiarities about coming from the UK to the US. Point out that you already have your visa sorted(?) as that will be the first question you are asked, but folks there can give you a lot more on what to expect on a lot of things you might not have thought of just yet. There are also quite a few folks from California on there as well. Also some advice on how to transition school systems between the US and UK

GreatSchools.net is a good site for comparing schools.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California