Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM

50,325 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Even worse than the mag capacity nonsense is the over the top asinine DOJ's list of "appoved" handguns that can be legally purchased in California. Unless a gun has all the cute bell and whistle safety features that the Nanny State bureaucrats insist that shooters must have in order to not shoot themselves in the foot , it may not be legally sold. Some very fine handguns are excluded from sale in California because of this nonsense. On a recent personal note, not long ago while considering obtaining another pistol, came across several very good reviews about an ugly little compact 9 mm pistol, the Walther PPS, that aroused my interest enough to find one and check it out in person. Need not to have bothered, the weapon is not legal in California. Seems that it lacks the silly magazine disconnect feature, so that makes it "unsafe" according to the Bolsheviks running the state.
Semi-automatic weapons that have a removable magazine are illegal if they have a pistol grip. Remove the pistol grip and it's now legal. Just how dumb of a law is that? This implies that the pistol grip is the part that is too dangerous for us Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Even worse than the mag capacity nonsense is the over the top asinine DOJ's list of "appoved" handguns that can be legally purchased in California. Unless a gun has all the cute bell and whistle safety features that the Nanny State bureaucrats insist that shooters must have in order to not shoot themselves in the foot , it may not be legally sold. Some very fine handguns are excluded from sale in California because of this nonsense. On a recent personal note, not long ago while considering obtaining another pistol, came across several very good reviews about an ugly little compact 9 mm pistol, the Walther PPS, that aroused my interest enough to find one and check it out in person. Need not to have bothered, the weapon is not legal in California. Seems that it lacks the silly magazine disconnect feature, so that makes it "unsafe" according to the Bolsheviks running the state.
What I find amusing are the drop-testing requirements. I've been shooting S&W revolvers since I was a kid, carried one in combat and for my first several years in law enforcement and currently own several of them. Many of them can't be purchased in California because S&W told CA where they could put the test.

Amazingly enough, I have never dropped a firearm, pistol or revolver, long gun, shotgun or "assault" weapon. Have to wonder which idiot member of the legislature did and literally shot himself in the foot.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
This is the kind of insanity that comes from the likes of Leland Yee and his ilk.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I've been shooting S&W revolvers since I was a kid, carried one in combat and for my first several years in law enforcement and currently own several of them.
Recall a couple of years ago pics that you posted on another forum of a new J frame you had just obtained. How did that work out, do you like it and carry it?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Recall a couple of years ago pics that you posted on another forum of a new J frame you had just obtained. How did that work out, do you like it and carry it?
Good memory. Love it. Had the trigger re-worked from 11-14 pounds down to about 6.5. At 13 oz. empty it makes for a great pocket pistol or inside the waist band. Also put on Pachmeyer grips to cover the backstrap so it's quite comfortable to shoot. For dependability I still love revolvers. But admittedly, it ain't for long shots. Yes, I often carry it.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM

197 posts, read 299,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Did we mention hell will freeze over before you can get a CC permit?

Fallacy. In SD county , the Bay Area and the Greater LA area you won't but many counties up here in the North State are **shall issue** , and the permit is good statewide.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Fallacy. In SD county , the Bay Area and the Greater LA area you won't but many counties up here in the North State are **shall issue** , and the permit is good statewide.
And with very little reciprocity from other states since CA doesn't honor anyone elses.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM

50,325 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Move down the line and try it. Just hope the Feds come up with one and do away with this State carp.

I'm not moving to a latitude equivalent to Wyoming to get a CCW.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Evil gun features like the pistol grip are fine in semi auto rifles. As long as the the magazine release can not be depressed without the aid of a tool. Hence the invention of the bullet button.

10 plus round magazines in California are not illegal to own. Just illegal to purchase, manufacture or give away. Before you ask the obvious question think about it for awhile.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Yes we do have draconian firearm laws. It's a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California