Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 12,774 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I am starting some research on possible areas to move to California. I am planning to take a visit out there, but not sure where yet! I currently live in New Jersey and looking for warmer climate and NO Humidity. I would ideally like to be near the coast where the beach isn't far away. I'm in my mid 20's so I'm looking for a young crowd, but not necessarily a bunch of college kids running around. I understand cali is expensive, however I'd hope to find rentals that are practical and affordable for a recent college graduate. Also, a safe area is a must and of course somewhere aesthetically pleasing. I was looking into southern california; for example San Diego. Any town/city suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM

171 posts, read 670,535 times
I'm not all too familiar with the San Diego area so maybe some other posters can chime in but my understanding is El Cajon and Lemon Grove are pretty cheap (compared to surrounding areas) but are kind of rough can anyone else vouch for that?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM

58 posts, read 205,456 times
not familiar with SD either, but what I know about SD is that it's expensive and if there is such a thing as a cheap area in SD I probably would avoid to live there...

Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Well, I know it won't be cheap and I'm not necessarily looking for cheap, but reasonable as I am not RICH haha. Most likely I will have a roomate so there will be two salaries coming in. I'm just more concerned with location for the moment! Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarie022 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am starting some research on possible areas to move to California. I am planning to take a visit out there, but not sure where yet! I currently live in New Jersey and looking for warmer climate and NO Humidity. I would ideally like to be near the coast where the beach isn't far away. I'm in my mid 20's so I'm looking for a young crowd, but not necessarily a bunch of college kids running around. I understand cali is expensive, however I'd hope to find rentals that are practical and affordable for a recent college graduate. Also, a safe area is a must and of course somewhere aesthetically pleasing. I was looking into southern california; for example San Diego. Any town/city suggestions? Thanks!
first of all; the beach areas are very humid, water normally causes humidity. The good news, the temps are low enough that it isn't anything like the east coast.

If you are looking at San Diego, yes, move to the east part, there is much less humidity..

Now the 64,000 question, what about finding a job? You idea of visiting is a good one, you may want to consider other areas as much as San Diego, but the job market is so bad and so conpetitive you might be in for a surprise and not a good one.

Another area to consider is Pasadena. Lots of young professionals and there is very little humidity, though the summers can be on the warm side. If I were young, professional and single Pasadena would be high on my list.

Nita

Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Well I majored in Chemistry in college, so thats a pretty broad field considering I could work in pharmaceutical or the cosmetic industry (which I am interested in) or even a teacher.
I don't specifically want to be in San Diego, but I just heard nice things about the city. I also looked at Santa Barbara and loved it based on aesthetics alone. I'm not too familiar with the cities close to the coast and how they are based on crime and money, etc. I need opinions from people who actually live there and experience it! haha

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
I am.... FLOORED!!! The VERY SAME day I decide to look up moving to California, I come across someone 'named' CMarie doing the same thing! My name is CrisMarie... and I am from NJ, looking to move to San Diego or Sacremento, California.... So you see my astonishment... LOL!! It's a little wierd.. but it's cool. ) Good Luck with your travel plans!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisMarie619 View Post
I am.... FLOORED!!! The VERY SAME day I decide to look up moving to California, I come across someone 'named' CMarie doing the same thing! My name is CrisMarie... and I am from NJ, looking to move to San Diego or Sacremento, California.... So you see my astonishment... LOL!! It's a little wierd.. but it's cool. ) Good Luck with your travel plans!
Well this saves everyone the trouble of responding to two threads

Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Perhaps you two should plan a trip together, LOL! Rent a car in San Diego and take some time to drive up the coast to the Bay Area or beyond and check out a bunch of places along the way. There is a lot of ground to cover, especially if you want to do any trekking inland.

I personally love Santa Cruz and Monterey, but they are not inexpensive places to live, but nothing close to the California coast is really cheap. Santa Maria area may be less expensive, but you may not find as many young single people there.

Costa Mesa may be nice for you, and Pasadena is a good suggestion. As you mentioned, Santa Barbara and San Diego areas too. However, you really need to take some time to visit and collect data then target you job search at the areas you like the best.

Most places to live along the California coast are not necessarily practical and affordable places to live but that doesn't stop them from being highly desireable!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
you sound young. dont come unless you have a trade.
the old days of "winging it" are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California