Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK - You're planning a vacation, and thinking about taking some time during your trip to see a client. Maybe you can get a big tax deduction?

Tax deduction for working during a vacation? - Tax Tactics- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
I always use the deduction. I am always looking for equipment.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
You can't deduct the cost of a vacation if the primary purpose of the trip is a vacation. If you "look for equipment" or do other business while you're on a vacation, you can deduct some of the cost, but only the expenses directly related to the business part of your trip.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
You can't deduct the cost of a vacation if the primary purpose of the trip is a vacation. If you "look for equipment" or do other business while you're on a vacation, you can deduct some of the cost, but only the expenses directly related to the business part of your trip.
Never had a problem taking it all. I even write off the kennel cost for my dogs when I go. But, I write all their costs off because I use them in my advertising.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Like everything there never is a problem until you get audited.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Like everything there never is a problem until you get audited.
I was audited for 05/06.

They didn't like the way I claimed my dog's vet bills.

In the end we agreed it was advertising. My dog's picture in some ads is more than 50%.

Other than that, no changes were made. Just changed lines.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 14,282 times
How about if you go on vacation, but work 6-8 hours a day because otherwise you'd lose your business? This is the story of my life. I haven't had a real vacation in 20 years. I always have to take my work with me and work while everyone else plays. Wouldn't I be entitled to some deductions of the cost of the vacation?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbpeddler View Post
How about if you go on vacation, but work 6-8 hours a day because otherwise you'd lose your business? This is the story of my life. I haven't had a real vacation in 20 years. I always have to take my work with me and work while everyone else plays. Wouldn't I be entitled to some deductions of the cost of the vacation?
Some deductions yes. But only for the things that can generate revenue for your business. (i.e. you need internet access and the hotel charges for it. You visit a potential client in a new area, so you can deduct the mileage, food etc)

The best bet is to travel for business purposes and then extend the stay for personal reasons, but only the hotel and food costs for the business part would be deductible.

"If the trip is primarily personal in nature you can't deduct any of your airfare, hotel, or other traveling expenses. This is true even if you engage in some business activities while you are there. (You may be able to deduct particular expenses you incur while you're at your destination if they otherwise qualify as business deductions; for example, cab fare to an isolated business appointment.)
The primary purpose of a trip is determined by looking at the facts and circumstances of each case. An important factor is the amount of time you spent on personal activities during the trip as compared to the amount of time spent on activities directly relating to business. Travel expenses outside the U.S. may be further limited if part of your trip is for personal purposes."

Business Travel Expenses

"Trip Primarily for Business

You can deduct all of your travel expenses if your trip was entirely business related. If your trip was primarily for business and, while at your business destination, you extended your stay for a vacation, made a personal side trip, or had other personal activities, you can deduct your business-related travel expenses. These expenses include the travel costs of getting to and from your business destination and any business-related expenses at your business destination.

Example.
You work in Atlanta and take a business trip to New Orleans in May. On your way home, you stop in Mobile to visit your parents. You spend $1,999 for the 9 days you are away from home for travel, meals, lodging, and other travel expenses. If you had not stopped in Mobile, you would have been gone only 6 days, and your total cost would have been $1,699. You can deduct $1,699 for your trip, including the cost of round-trip transportation to and from New Orleans. The deduction for your meals is subject to the 50% limit on meals mentioned earlier."

Publication 463 (2010), Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business