Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,202,035 times

Advertisements

OK, first let's realize they are incredibly stupid to make such a huge mistake in word choice. Then can you imagine a store which insists you have to make a purchase if you even come in? i would love to know what kind of store this sign was in but alas it is from the internet.

I used to have a specialty collectible doll store and when internet shopping started getting so big i often saw people come into my shop, handle my merchandise to choose what they wanted and then compare my price with their sheets from web based businesses and then leave. I finally had to close cause I could not compete with people who did not have brick and mortar stores. And then so many other specialty shops closed for the same reason. Anywho I think this is an interesting concept.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,509,466 times
Just buy a sub $1 candy bar.. that's what I do when I need to use the restroom badly but the store says restroom is for customers only.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,688,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK, first let's realize they are incredibly stupid to make such a huge mistake in word choice. Then can you imagine a store which insists you have to make a purchase if you even come in? i would love to know what kind of store this sign was in but alas it is from the internet.

I used to have a specialty collectible doll store and when internet shopping started getting so big i often saw people come into my shop, handle my merchandise to choose what they wanted and then compare my price with their sheets from web based businesses and then leave. I finally had to close cause I could not compete with people who did not have brick and mortar stores. And then so many other specialty shops closed for the same reason. Anywho I think this is an interesting concept.
How would you really enforce this? I mean if someone comes into the store looking for something and you don't have it are you going to force them to buy something else? Are you going to have them arrested if they do not buy anything. Or would you charge a cover charge to enter the store and then credit it towards their purchase. I don't see either working.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,736,756 times
My initial reaction is that it is a convenience/grocery store near a middle school, and they don't want crowds of kids hanging out. Especially if they are incontinent.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,314,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
My initial reaction is that it is a convenience/grocery store near a middle school, and they don't want crowds of kids hanging out. Especially if they are incontinent.
I'm willing to bet it's something like this. Probably they are trying to convey that they don't want people hanging out who don't have any intention of buying anything there at any time and it just doesn't come across very well. Likely posted by someone whose first language isn't English.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,720,130 times
The other day I phoned a window installation company to get a free estimate as they have advertised. The salesman told me they would only come out if I was going to be ready to sign a work order and give them a deposit when I heard the quote...he said he could assure me they give excellent prices. I told him since I was just getting estimates that I would need to complete my process before deciding on a vendor. He wouldn't make an appointment with me. Same kind of thing....

Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,314,800 times
Rules and laws are made because there is some sort of problem. And signs like that generally don't apply to 99% of the people. Just for the one jerk out a 100 who causes problems.

Might even be placed there for just one chronic offender!

Could be many reasons for that sign. Shoplifters, smelly bums going in and hanging around for several hours to warm up, people using wifi and not ever buying anything, kids hanging out, etc.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,314,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The other day I phoned a window installation company to get a free estimate as they have advertised. The salesman told me they would only come out if I was going to be ready to sign a work order and give them a deposit when I heard the quote...he said he could assure me they give excellent prices. I told him since I was just getting estimates that I would need to complete my process before deciding on a vendor. He wouldn't make an appointment with me. Same kind of thing....
I don't think it's the same at all. It sounds like the company you contacted is anticipating a price increase from their vendor in the near future so they are only quoting work that they can lock in before the increase takes effect.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,688,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think it's the same at all. It sounds like the company you contacted is anticipating a price increase from their vendor in the near future so they are only quoting work that they can lock in before the increase takes effect.
I don't buy that at all. Sounds like the guy doesn't want someone who's getting multiple quotes, and that's fine for people who have established relationships with the company and they do good work, but for people who've just found the guy out of the telephone book? Um....no.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,720,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
My take on their policy was that unless I was going to guarantee a sale they were not coming to my house to give me a quote. Seems like the same policy as the store saying you can't come in unless you make a purchase.

If there was a "getting in under the price increase" pressure, they surely should have told me that on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business