Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,943,541 times

Advertisements

This girl makes great purses out in Portugal. Has a little website with a blog and sells them on there. These purses I think could be a big hit, hand made and are high quality, not just off an assembly line. I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I want her to work with me and produce these purses, but at the same time, her prices are so low I feel I could eliminate that and by a bunch at once. What's the proper way to go about this, essentially I would like to import her business into the states and get it online with my own site. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,400,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
This girl makes great purses out in Portugal. Has a little website with a blog and sells them on there. These purses I think could be a big hit, hand made and are high quality, not just off an assembly line. I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I want her to work with me and produce these purses, but at the same time, her prices are so low I feel I could eliminate that and by a bunch at once. What's the proper way to go about this, essentially I would like to import her business into the states and get it online with my own site. Thanks.
I wouldn't spend a whole lot on importing a bunch. Have her shoot some good digital pics and put them up on your website. Do you already have a lot of traffic on it? If not, it's going to be pretty tough to generate it without a known brand that customers will want to search on.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 PM

27 posts, read 55,570 times
You should also build more trust online, when I say "trust" it should be your presence online for simple marketing in the future!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 AM

19,989 posts, read 30,457,843 times
why not sell them on ebay, or craigslist?????????

Old 12-31-2011, 10:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,039 posts, read 82,269,993 times
As great as you consider them they will only sell if the public likes them. I would suggest a plan to test the market before committing to anything. You can research the industry statistics to find out what age groups are spending the most money on purses. Then put together a local focus group
offering a few dollars or free meal to those that participate. Have available a few purses that you consider comparable quality readily available now at typical stores, and some of those made in Portugal. Have participants comment on which they like and which they don't, and how much they would be willing to pay for them. If they turn out to be desirable you will
also have a good idea of the pricing that will make them sell. Before you go too far with it you also need to ensure that you will have a sustained adequate supply. If these are made by hand and only a few people working on them, can they increase production if your sales take off?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,943,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As great as you consider them they will only sell if the public likes them. I would suggest a plan to test the market before committing to anything. You can research the industry statistics to find out what age groups are spending the most money on purses. Then put together a local focus group
offering a few dollars or free meal to those that participate. Have available a few purses that you consider comparable quality readily available now at typical stores, and some of those made in Portugal. Have participants comment on which they like and which they don't, and how much they would be willing to pay for them. If they turn out to be desirable you will
also have a good idea of the pricing that will make them sell. Before you go too far with it you also need to ensure that you will have a sustained adequate supply. If these are made by hand and only a few people working on them, can they increase production if your sales take off?
Probably not. The goal I think would be to try and target the high end shopper and make the product limited. I've thought about doing a test run with these purses, but not sure how. Several ideas have floated through my head like giving a few girls 100 bucks to be a walking ad essentially. Only problem with that is you have no idea if people are interested in it or not.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,627,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Probably not. The goal I think would be to try and target the high end shopper and make the product limited. I've thought about doing a test run with these purses, but not sure how. Several ideas have floated through my head like giving a few girls 100 bucks to be a walking ad essentially. Only problem with that is you have no idea if people are interested in it or not.
Try running a few ads on Ebay. Ebay is an EZ way to 'test the market.' Be sure to use pro-quality photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business