Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 23,804 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A friend and I got laid off from our jobs so we have started a business as virtual assistants. We have all the basics in place, such as business cards, website (designs-details.com), LLC, business checking account, etc.

Now we are doing the marketing and struggling a bit. Does anyone have ideas on how we can get our name out there? I think there would be a lot of demand for our services, but we have to figure out where to find the clients.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,417 times
What is a virtual assistant?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designs&Details View Post
Hello,

A friend and I got laid off from our jobs so we have started a business as virtual assistants. We have all the basics in place, such as business cards, website (designs-details.com), LLC, business checking account, etc.

Now we are doing the marketing and struggling a bit. Does anyone have ideas on how we can get our name out there? I think there would be a lot of demand for our services, but we have to figure out where to find the clients.

Thanks for your advice.
Not to say that there's not successful virtual assistant businesses out there but I think your choice of business is the problem.

Lots of people dont know what a virtual assistant is, although I have an idea I'm not really sure. I imagine basically your a pt assistant people can hire you by the hour or by the task without having to keep you as a real salaried employee?

Not sure whether you would be geared towards say a mom who needs help or maybe an entrepeneur for some help.

The downside of your business is that I think what people like in an actual assistant is taht the assistant begins to know what they are thinking without being told, etc. With you since your pt your never going to develope that flow with your clients. Also, any big business would hire a real assistant and any small businesss or mom wont pay for what you offer, especially in this economy.

I would scrap this idea and go back to the drawing board. You may make a few bucks here and there but I cant see this being a business that supports two people lie you and your friend.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,403 times
I disagree (respectfully, of course ) I have heard good things about the trend toward virtual assistants. Especially in the city (assuming you are marketing yourself in Phoenix). People who have many plates spinning at one time can benefit from someone answering their emails, ordering and receiving supplies, scheduling, monitoring, putting out fires, troubleshooting . . . the list is endless.

There are places online you can post your skills (monster comes to mind, or oDesk). Other than that, the only thing I can think of to market yourself is to start pounding the pavement. Go where you're clients are, seek them out, and find a way to make yourself valuable.

Good luck with it!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Not to say that there's not successful virtual assistant businesses out there but I think your choice of business is the problem.

Lots of people dont know what a virtual assistant is, although I have an idea I'm not really sure. I imagine basically your a pt assistant people can hire you by the hour or by the task without having to keep you as a real salaried employee?

Not sure whether you would be geared towards say a mom who needs help or maybe an entrepeneur for some help.

The downside of your business is that I think what people like in an actual assistant is taht the assistant begins to know what they are thinking without being told, etc. With you since your pt your never going to develope that flow with your clients. Also, any big business would hire a real assistant and any small businesss or mom wont pay for what you offer, especially in this economy.

I would scrap this idea and go back to the drawing board. You may make a few bucks here and there but I cant see this being a business that supports two people lie you and your friend.
Yes, you have it right. We would get hired by the hour or per project without being a salaried employee.

I do think there is a need out there. We were thinking small business owners who need to get help with administrative tasks. The idea being that their time is better spent servicing customers than doing data entry, mailings, research, etc.

We also think large business would need us in this economy where they have less employees trying to do more work. Perhaps if there is a big project and they need some help but they don't want to hire someone because once the project is over the need is over. We are cheaper than a temp.

Or, perhaps they don't have an employee on staff with the expertise - example: copywriting for a corporate brochure.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your advice.

I am quoting this post, but also read this post ^^^^.

When the large company I work for needs assistance on certain things, we use a temp agency which we have a contract with. I would imagine small businesses may use temp agencies as well. The examples you provided sounds more like temp agency work than virtual assistants. My understanding of a virtual assistance is basically a secretary for those that work/sale at home independently. Basically, they need a secretary but don;t have room for one nor do they have the need to have one 8 hours a day.

At any rate, the first thing you need to do, IMO, is find out what part of the market you are shooting for. Are you wanting to be like temp service for businesses? Are you wanting to work for the self employed? Are you trying to help professional moms who need errands ran? Are you wanting to be a personal assistance or a virtual assistant? Once you narrow that down you will be able to market more effectively.

Going out and soliciting in person is often the most cost effective way to drum up business. Be sure to have a pamphlet available that you can leave behind along with your business card of course. Practice your pitch and make sure you explain what kind of value you can bring to the person you are selling to.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

When the large company I work for needs assistance on certain things, we use a temp agency which we have a contract with. I would imagine small businesses may use temp agencies as well. The examples you provided sounds more like temp agency work than virtual assistants. My understanding of a virtual assistance is basically a secretary for those that work/sale at home independently. Basically, they need a secretary but don;t have room for one nor do they have the need to have one 8 hours a day.

At any rate, the first thing you need to do, IMO, is find out what part of the market you are shooting for. Are you wanting to be like temp service for businesses? Are you wanting to work for the self employed? Are you trying to help professional moms who need errands ran? Are you wanting to be a personal assistance or a virtual assistant? Once you narrow that down you will be able to market more effectively.

Going out and soliciting in person is often the most cost effective way to drum up business. Be sure to have a pamphlet available that you can leave behind along with your business card of course. Practice your pitch and make sure you explain what kind of value you can bring to the person you are selling to.
Okay, so a temp agency would be my direct competition. In most markets we would be cheaper than a temp or the same price, but never more expensive. We are aiming at buisnesses, not for individuals that need errands.

Thanks for the advice about soliciting in-person. I am starting to realize how important networking opportunities are.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM

122 posts, read 207,703 times
yep,I have the same problem,looking for more tips,thanks .

Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

I think the post above is all very good advice--have you put together a business plan? You really need to narrowly define who you're trying to reach, and find every opportunity to reach them. It sounds like your marketing budget is about zero, so you're right--networking is a great (and inexpensive) way to do that. Here's a thought--if you are by chance in a state capital, there are many small state associations and small lobbying firms that use people just like you. What they're looking for is someone to do the service quickly and professionally--not a temp employee that they have to supervise. It's usually a situation where there's one professional hired by the organization, and no support staff. You may be able to find a similar market for other types of small businesses with a sole proprietor. When you find businesses/organizations that you want to target, I'd make an introductory visit to the owner/director.

Before I had my children, I used to work with nonprofit/arts agencies doing fundraising and development. Now I'm building a part-time (hopefully full-time at some point) career out of doing that work as a consultant. It's the same concept as yours but in a different field--they hire me to take on fundraising and grant writing projects that they don't have the staffing or time to do themselves. My strategy has been to network with everyone I can who might be involved with the non-profits I'd like to work with--the Executive Director, Board Members, etc. I've had friends introduce me to their friends, I've volunteered to do small projects to get my foot in the door--you name it. I've got several jobs through just telling friends and acquaintances what I do--they happened to know someone who knows someone--you can make contacts anywhere, but you have to be creative. My best advice is for you to find ways to interact with the people you want to work with--maybe services clubs with small business owner membership, the chamber of commerce if you're in a smaller town--you just have to identify who you want to reach and how to get to them. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your advice.
- Target your market and position your product
- Use trade magazines to advertise

Find out which persons will buy your product, and determine if such persons are financially viable to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business