Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:39 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times

Advertisements

I have been having a battle with Verizon Wireless over their poor network coverage (oh yeah, it's the network . . . well, no, turns out it is just the advertising). I would not have had a real problem with them if they had been straight up to start with. But after screwing around with them for a year, they will not fix it, and want to charge me an early termination fee if I leave.

A little research found a LOT of lawsuits on them for this type stuff, and even a class action covering from 1999 to now in California. I just figured I would put this up here for a warning to other folks.

My latest:

=========================

Philip T
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

14 September, 2007

CT Corporation
Registered Agent for Verizon Wireless
350 North St. Paul, Suite 2900
Dallas, TX 75201

Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless
1 Verizon Way
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
fax: 866-875-7894

RE: Request for porting of numbers to alternate carrier without termination fees.
For numbers: xxx-xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx

Verizon Wireless Representative:

We have received pathetic service at best since we acquired your service over a year ago. While you did manage to effectively deceive us for a year with variations of field reviews, testing phones, exchanging phones three times, and batteries twice, in truth you knew all along that you did not serve the area of our primary use since our first service call.

Please set these numbers to release for porting to another carrier who actually does provide functional service to this area. While you had previously agreed to release these numbers, when I attempted to do this yesterday, I was informed that you would attempt to create early termination fees of $350 for such action.

After making eleven (11) dropped calls to your service people today in attempt to resolve this, now you have requested that we verify our existence at the site where you know you provide the poor service and do not intend to correct it. To show good faith in cooperating with this foolishness, please find attached a City of Dallas Water Bill cover for our location.

If you choose to not release this account and numbers without attempting to charge additional fees such as early termination fees, we will bring a lawsuit for Injunctive Relief, Negligent Misrepresentation, Breach of Contract, and violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and other relief to which we may be entitled to resolve this matter.

This information is being placed on various consumer websites as a caution to others of your bad faith business practices, and to assist others in the numerous class action and other lawsuits you are facing for such activities.

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Philip T

Attachment: City of Dallas Water Bill, Redacted Cover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I have been having a battle with Verizon Wireless over their poor network coverage (oh yeah, it's the network . . . well, no, turns out it is just the advertising). I would not have had a real problem with them if they had been straight up to start with. But after screwing around with them for a year, they will not fix it, and want to charge me an early termination fee if I leave.

A little research found a LOT of lawsuits on them for this type stuff, and even a class action covering from 1999 to now in California. I just figured I would put this up here for a warning to other folks.

My latest:

=========================

Philip T
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

14 September, 2007

CT Corporation
Registered Agent for Verizon Wireless
350 North St. Paul, Suite 2900
Dallas, TX 75201

Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless
1 Verizon Way
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
fax: 866-875-7894

RE: Request for porting of numbers to alternate carrier without termination fees.
For numbers: xxx-xxx-xxxx and xxx-xxx-xxxx

Verizon Wireless Representative:

We have received pathetic service at best since we acquired your service over a year ago. While you did manage to effectively deceive us for a year with variations of field reviews, testing phones, exchanging phones three times, and batteries twice, in truth you knew all along that you did not serve the area of our primary use since our first service call.

Please set these numbers to release for porting to another carrier who actually does provide functional service to this area. While you had previously agreed to release these numbers, when I attempted to do this yesterday, I was informed that you would attempt to create early termination fees of $350 for such action.

After making eleven (11) dropped calls to your service people today in attempt to resolve this, now you have requested that we verify our existence at the site where you know you provide the poor service and do not intend to correct it. To show good faith in cooperating with this foolishness, please find attached a City of Dallas Water Bill cover for our location.

If you choose to not release this account and numbers without attempting to charge additional fees such as early termination fees, we will bring a lawsuit for Injunctive Relief, Negligent Misrepresentation, Breach of Contract, and violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and other relief to which we may be entitled to resolve this matter.

This information is being placed on various consumer websites as a caution to others of your bad faith business practices, and to assist others in the numerous class action and other lawsuits you are facing for such activities.

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Philip T

Attachment: City of Dallas Water Bill, Redacted Cover
where is this poor coverage area. What is the zip code and who is ct corp. I am just curious.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
Why didn't you return the phone during the trial period? I think Verizon gives 15 days, you should have known it wouldn't work at that point.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
Why didn't you return the phone during the trial period? I think Verizon gives 15 days, you should have known it wouldn't work at that point.
No, was actually traveling, as I do for at least 4 to 6 months of any given business year. When dealing specifically with the issue of bad service in my home base area, they told me that was all new info to them. ( a lie ). They went through a whole song and dance of needing to tune the locale ( 2 weeks ) and then maybe it's a bad handset (another week). By then I am traveling again. on and on and on.

Turns out it is a known dead area in their network from the start. And they do not intend to fix it. First service call on the first week they could have told me that. That is honest, straight and upfront business. To find out it was a known dead area with no recourse, I had to work my way through four layers into their engineering folks. The front line folks just have their brainless green map that says Yep! Works Coast to Coast!

They have dead areas all over they do not intend to fix. OK, whatever -- just do not lie and pretend there is something wrong on the customer side. Actually I would even have a bit of sympathy for them if had not found out about how much of this goes on after starting to research it.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
where is this poor coverage area. What is the zip code and who is ct corp. I am just curious.
Zip I am having problems in is 75236 -- SW Dallas. But there are "unpublished" dead areas all over.

CT Corp acts an agent all over the US for other Corporations all over the US and beyond. Every state requires that a Corporation doing business in that state have an agent -- for process service of legal actions among other things. CT acts as a front for that type of activity.

Was thinking I should try T-Mobile -- they do street level maps of their quality of service -- but finding they are up for a Class Action for same and other things that Verizon Wireless, and Sprint/Nextel are. And I have dealt with Cingular/ATT in the past and know they are crooked, too.

T-Mobile facing Class-Action lawsuit over early-term fees « vashNYC: the 60 billion $$ man (broken link)

Any decent cell company that anyone can recommend?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,954 times
It seems like you went to an authorized dealer, it's so much better when you go to the actually company store. If you read the whole contract, I bet the authorized dealer has a penalty for you too. As someone who worked in the cell phone industry for seven years, I would advise you to call Verizon directly, speak to someone in managment and at least ask them if they would prorate the charge for you. DO NOT mention attorneys or lawsuits, as soon as you do that we would do nothing for you because all cell phone companies are pretty much covered in that regard.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Every cell phone provider has uncovered areas. The industry boomed so quickly that the technology couldn't keep up. There is a limit to each tower's ranges and more and more people fight having towers built in their area. There is specific wording in the contract that states they do not guarantee all areas are covered. Why is this their problem and not your problem???

Personally we have had FANTASTIC service from Verizon. My DH's phone was stolen out his car and they ran up over $300 of text messaging/downloads before we discovered it was missing. Verizon forgave every penny of that. Their customer service through this whole process was fantastic.

We have had 3 different cell phone providers in MN and guess what, every single one of them has dead spots, it happens.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Every cell phone provider has uncovered areas. The industry boomed so quickly that the technology couldn't keep up. There is a limit to each tower's ranges and more and more people fight having towers built in their area. There is specific wording in the contract that states they do not guarantee all areas are covered. Why is this their problem and not your problem???

Personally we have had FANTASTIC service from Verizon. My DH's phone was stolen out his car and they ran up over $300 of text messaging/downloads before we discovered it was missing. Verizon forgave every penny of that. Their customer service through this whole process was fantastic.

We have had 3 different cell phone providers in MN and guess what, every single one of them has dead spots, it happens.
Sure, I am an EE and used to do RF transmission work. I follow all the technical issues and beyond. The problem is Verizon lying about it to start with -- in spite of our top government folks example -- lying in business is still a crime, it is called fraud and is also an actionable civil tort.

If they do not want to provide service, I do not care. We can part ways and probably both be happier for it. Once discovered, like a bad employee, I would just like to fire them and move on. Instead, they attempt to create additional termination fees for their own bad product. That is what they are being sued extensively for.

These are bad faith business issues that stem from their business side of the house -- not the technical.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sure, I am an EE and used to do RF transmission work. I follow all the technical issues and beyond. The problem is Verizon lying about it to start with -- in spite of our top government folks example -- lying in business is still a crime, it is called fraud and is also an actionable civil tort.

If they do not want to provide service, I do not care. We can part ways and probably both be happier for it. Once discovered, like a bad employee, I would just like to fire them and move on. Instead, they attempt to create additional termination fees for their own bad product. That is what they are being sued extensively for.

These are bad faith business issues that stem from their business side of the house -- not the technical.
I am sure if you read the t and c of the contract Verizon wireless does not guarantee coverage.Looking at the coverage area in that zip code I can only guess that you are affected by line of sight of the tower. You may also be experience dropped calls or less service during prime time calling do to cell towers coverage area shrinking.Two things I would advise: Contact the loyalty management team and see if that you waive you etf or give you a new phone. Second cut your loses and move on. If you sue you will lose. Under Business law the company made you aware of the situation no matter what the coverage area map looks like. You have to understand if you bought a phone through a wireless agent they do not get the same training as Verizon Wireless employees.They also are looking at the best interest of their company not verizon. In my experience with agents I find them to be horrible.
"How Service Works
Wireless phones use radio transmissions, so we can't provide service when your phone isn't in range of a transmission site used to provide service. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including network capacity, your phone, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather, that may impact availability and quality of service."

Enter your location

Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I am sure if you read the t and c of the contract Verizon wireless does not guarantee coverage.Looking at the coverage area in that zip code I can only guess that you are affected by line of sight of the tower. You may also be experience dropped calls or less service during prime time calling do to cell towers coverage area shrinking.Two things I would advise: Contact the loyalty management team and see if that you waive you etf or give you a new phone. Second cut your loses and move on. If you sue you will lose. Under Business law the company made you aware of the situation no matter what the coverage area map looks like. You have to understand if you bought a phone through a wireless agent they do not get the same training as Verizon Wireless employees.They also are looking at the best interest of their company not verizon. In my experience with agents I find them to be horrible.
"How Service Works
Wireless phones use radio transmissions, so we can't provide service when your phone isn't in range of a transmission site used to provide service. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including network capacity, your phone, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather, that may impact availability and quality of service."

Enter your location

It is way beyond all that. We have been playing that game for over a year. We are on the third phone handset (still does not work), and second make-believe site review. And yes, of course they have "sold" more promises of service than either can or are willing to provide. That is shows it self in the poor service. Does it not seem strange that they keep spending on advertising for more customers when they clearly cannot handle what they have -- rather than fixing their network?

They cannot really hide being their dealers, either -- It is their direct 611 employees doing the "misinformation."

So I now just want to fire Verizon Wireless and have them go away. The issue now is early termination fees.

Bringing the lawsuit info current -- yes, you can sue the various cell companies -- T Moblie just lost that for exemption claim for the whole industry. Further, Verizon has been locked in many Class action for a number of years. Here are some:

Specific lawsuit for early termination fees:
Notice of Pendency of Class Action

Verizon Wireless Late Fee Class Action Lawsuit (http://www.braytonlaw.com/practiceareas/classactions_gellis.htm - broken link)

Verizon Wireless V710 Settlement

And my personal legal methods are far more effective. I sue pro se (without paid attorney), and the corporate entity must defend with a paid attorney. My costs are in the low hundreds, and their minimum costs are into the several thousands. Last corporate moron that sued me wound up paying half a million for the honor of losing. But I only do that kind of stuff when I am pretty sure I am in the right, and most Corporate types have sense to just drop the matter before it goes that far.

But Verizon can forego all the misery and just accept their firing for poor service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics