Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:25 PM

216 posts, read 271,700 times

Advertisements

What is the catch on this area? Schools seem to be good, beautiful beach with some decent restaurant/bars neighboring in the Cocoa Beach area.

Real estate prices are not crazy especially considering you are right on the coast. What am I missing?

Is it filled with mostly retirees, would a family in their early 30's go crazy with lack of things to do? Seems like between only being a hour from Orlando and the Avenues in Viera wouldn't be so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 03:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
There isa decent young population but I'd imagine most younger people live in viera or west Melbourne

Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
There isn't anything wrong with Satellite Beach. It was hit particularly hard when the housing market crashed and its just slowly coming back. Some of the homes tend to maybe need a little work, but its not too bad. Not sure where the idea of retirees are the only ones living there. That area has TONS of families living there. There is also lots of things for the kids to do....mostly dealing with the beach, but the Brevard parks and recreation has lots of neat/good programs that the kids can participate in.
Living on beachside will give you WALKING or riding your bike distance to watch rocket launches on the beach(yes...even down at satellite beach you will be able to see these). You will also have easy access to take advantage of the evening turtle walks that they have to watch sea turtles come in to lay their eggs. Its at this location if you want more info...
Turtle Walk Registration - Sea Turtle Preservation Society
that link if from this site.......Home

Don't be suspicious about the prices...people just haven't caught on to the place yet. Its probably a good thing for those who are looking for a decently priced home and want to be able to walk on the beach in the evening everyday.

Last edited by beckerd2; 06-17-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 07:54 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
A couple of things:

1. Beachside will always command a premium, but in Brevard County it's not nearly as exclusive as in some areas of Florida. There are more beachside properties available relative to the overall population, so supply isn't as tight.

2. As for Satellite Beach specifically, a lot of the properties were built during the original NASA boom. There are a lot of nice (and expensive) neighborhoods along the water, but most of the single-family homes between A1A and South Patrick Drive are older 3/2 ranch types. The newer properties are mostly duplex/townhome complexes. Like beckerd2 said, that's good for people trying to live near the beach without paying exorbitant prices. But the obvious tradeoff is, you'll get an older, smaller home for your money than you could on the mainland.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM

161 posts, read 262,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
A couple of things:

1. Beachside will always command a premium, but in Brevard County it's not nearly as exclusive as in some areas of Florida. There are more beachside properties available relative to the overall population, so supply isn't as tight.

2. As for Satellite Beach specifically, a lot of the properties were built during the original NASA boom. There are a lot of nice (and expensive) neighborhoods along the water, but most of the single-family homes between A1A and South Patrick Drive are older 3/2 ranch types. The newer properties are mostly duplex/townhome complexes. Like beckerd2 said, that's good for people trying to live near the beach without paying exorbitant prices. But the obvious tradeoff is, you'll get an older, smaller home for your money than you could on the mainland.
How is Satellite Beach as far as rentals?

Hubby and I are looking to rent a house for a year and spend the winter months down there while looking for something to buy.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
We lived in Satellite Beach for 27-years, prior to moving to Destin (grandkids) in retirement - 5-years ago. We loved it! The great thing about Satellite (in addition to good schools, limited traffic, access to shopping, etc) is that it is a barrier island. This limits the available space for new construction and also the influx of vacationers and related traffic. Thus, Satellite Beach retains a small town feel. We would likely move back -- if it weren't for the kids/grandkids.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:54 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfixit99 View Post
How is Satellite Beach as far as rentals?

Hubby and I are looking to rent a house for a year and spend the winter months down there while looking for something to buy.

If you go to www.Brevardmls.com and put in "rentals" for Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach...you will get a lot of options. Both towns are right next to each other and there is no clear line separating them. They are both the same in everything that beachside has to offer. On the plus side...there are no bad areas to avoid for either town so whatever you pick will be a safe option.
I also just looked at craigslist for you and there are rentals to pick from.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:46 PM

210 posts, read 276,840 times
Satellite Beach is a great deal If you're willing to put in some sweat equity you can get an even better bargain! Unless you want to do a major renovation you will likely end up with a 50's ranch or a condo, although there are some newer subdivisions scattered throughout the area. As far as rentals, there are quite a few from a 600 square ft. one bedroom one bath apartment without a view for $950.00 to a 1380 square foot 3/2 with a direct ocean view for $2,000.00 (You can spend more than $2000.00 but I stopped my search there). Is you desire to rent a house there is a 1240 square foot 2/2 for $1400 to a 1480 square foot 3/2 on a canal for $2,000.00 (again, there are ones that are more expensive). Hope this gives you an idea to start from.
I live in Indialantic, which is a little south and a little more pricey. I feel like I discovered a hidden gem when I found beachside Brevard County!!

Just a word of caution about Craigslist. You CAN absolutely find a good bargain on there but there are also A LOT of scams. A lot of times there are listings for homes that are for sale or for rent by a REALTOR listed on there by scammers, so that is the first step I would always take is searching the property to see if it is listed. If you are not talking to the listing
REALTOR on Craigslist they are not authorized to rent or sell the property. If it is by owner listen to your gut, check the owner's name and address on https://www.bcpao.us/PropertySearch/#/nav/Search .

Good luck finding your own piece of paradise

Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
Nothing wrong with Satallite Beach. I think you will find more older homes with smaller sq. footage than some other newer areas. The schools are great. Most homes are well kept and the neighborhoods are family friendly.
I think the beaches are a bit more rough current wise if not careful where you step in. There seems to be a lot of rocks too, which some people don't like. But most people I have met love Satallite Beach as a great place to live.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 PM

161 posts, read 262,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
If you go to www.Brevardmls.com and put in "rentals" for Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach...you will get a lot of options. Both towns are right next to each other and there is no clear line separating them. They are both the same in everything that beachside has to offer. On the plus side...there are no bad areas to avoid for either town so whatever you pick will be a safe option.
I also just looked at craigslist for you and there are rentals to pick from.
I don't trust Craigslist, but I'll check out the area when I go down in September.

We're kinda concentrating on the Palm Bay area because we have a limited budget, but I won't rule any area out in Brevard as long as it's not in the hood... thanks. :-)

Last edited by mrsfixit99; 06-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County