Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,457,183 times

Advertisements

Boulder is Number 1 on this list from Forbe's

America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well

America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well - Forbes.com

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 PM

26,344 posts, read 49,372,523 times
Is it better to Live Well or to Live Content?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,457,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Is it better to Live Well or to Live Content?
Very Good! Yes, that is the problem with this list and many others. They use measures of living well that do not always equate to living content. In this list from Forbe's, the main focus is a place, you can be economically successful in a attractive geographical area.

Of course, Arvada, which is just down the foothills from Boulder, would never be selected. Arvada is just too bland, quiet, sedate, stable, homely, neighborly, to meet their definitions of living well. But, it is just the sort of place that one can slowwwwwly enjoy a life of contentment.

I have lived in Boulder and it is a very nice place to live. But it is not a small town; it is very traffic congested; it is not quiet and sedate with the hormonal college crowd. It attracts many creative, aggressive people who, because of necessity, need a big ego to compete; but diminish the qualities of being a good neighbor. You can live "well" and "content" in Boulder, if it suites your age, your wallet and your desires.

There are many such towns, villages and cities that do not make these glittering lists of glamor. They are all over the country and if you look closely enough, they are in your own backyards.

Livecontent

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,297,453 times
I've begun to lose faith in these Forbes "lists". They come out with a new one every week or so, and many of them are quite lame. That said, Boulder is OK.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,320,572 times
Default Best Boulder Neighborhoods to Buy for a Youngish Couple

This is a rather lame question, but I am just seeking some pointers to help kick-start my research.

My younger brother just moved to Boulder with his wife. He has a good job $50K-$70K. She is an urban woman with native fluency in several languages who I am sure can hook up with a good international company, but has no current job.

They love skiing. They love the outdoors. They are very international. They love fishing and hunting. They love the arts. I do not think they would want acreage other than an ample urban/suburban lot (i.e. anything<1.5 acre would be a safe assumption).

With rates this low, I wanted to see what they are facing wrt the real estate market over there. I have never been to Boulder for any length of time and do not know the city.

The object of the exercise: please name three (or more?) neighborhoods or areas within neighborhoods to consider for a middle to upper middle class couple, currently DINKS, but with plans for children. Ideally, these would be places that offer them the best of Boulder within their price range, without becoming an albatross. Also, they would places that can grow with them as their family and roots in the area grow.

Thanks for your help, S.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM

530 posts, read 2,632,092 times
I am thrilled to be at or near the top of any "good" list. Y'all don't know how well we have it here. I've lived in many places that wouldn't get even a look for a positive list. Any place can have its pitfalls, but Boulder is by far the best place that I have ever lived, and I'm proud to live here!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 PM

670 posts, read 1,179,202 times
^ Well said! I agree

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,709,260 times
Sandpointian said, "The object of the exercise: please name three (or more?) neighborhoods or areas within neighborhoods to consider for a middle to upper middle class couple, currently DINKS, but with plans for children. Ideally, these would be places that offer them the best of Boulder within their price range, without becoming an albatross. Also, they would places that can grow with them as their family and roots in the area grow."

Sandy, uhmm, I think you are describing pretty much all the neighborhoods in Boulder except for the numerous (and well-hidden) trailer parks.

Real question is, do you wanna and can ya afford a $500,000 starter home on a $60k salary??

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 05-13-2009 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Italics, how I love thee!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,320,572 times
Poh...$500k? really?

even after the past couple of years?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,837,202 times
..500k in Boulder proper will buy you a very modest home..(think close to California pricing)..a one acre+ homesite alone in Boulder will cost you at least 250k-700k...The Boulder real estate market has stayed rather insulated compared to the rest of the state. Outside Boulder's city limits is a different story. You can get some lots in adjacent Boulder mountain communities 1 acre plus for mid 100's-300's..

Last edited by Scott5280; 05-14-2009 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area