Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

80 posts, read 266,160 times

Advertisements

The Red Sox truck has left Fenway Park today ( 2.8.11 ) for Ft Myers. SPRING IS COMING !!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM

2,748 posts, read 6,170,612 times
Not soon enough.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM

5,813 posts, read 16,001,064 times
Nice. One of the annual milestones telling us that spring is drawing closer. Now the question is whether the Sox will give us a nice hot summer.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM

80 posts, read 266,160 times
The Red Sox is like the time ( Spring ahead, Fall back ).

Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 AM

Well, it used to be like that Rapking, for a loooooong time. But you know, then along came the Idiots of '04, and the Curse was broken. That spring forward and fall back situation isn't so much true anymore. At least not unless they ever return to their old ways long enough to re-establish that history of heartbreaking near misses.

The question I raised earlier about whether this summer will go well had more to do with this year's team. I haven't read any pre-season predictions yet, but I'm guessing many analysts will pick the Sox as the favorites in the AL. Some might take them as favorites over the Phillies to win the whole thing, but I think we'll have to wait and see. Looking good in pre-season is a lot different from being there at the end. I also think this year's Sox may have enough question marks in their pitching so that I'm really thinking this is a wait-and-see kind of season, depsite the strong group of position players they've put together.

Always nice to see those signs of spring, though, like the van leaving for the trip south.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM

13,152 posts, read 22,405,824 times
It's a battle of attrition. IF the team stays healthy, they're the favorites on paper. As you know, health is a BIG "if" and "on paper" doesn't always count (that's why they play the games, as cliche as that may sound).

I like this team. I have questions though. Adrian Gonzalez needs to adjust to AL East pitching (no easy task) and recover from an injury. Youk, Pedroia, Drew, Ellsbury and Beckett are all recovering from injuries last year. I hope they'll be fine, but those are a lot of starters with concerns. I think the lineup is good, but The bottom of the order scares me (Scutaro/Saltalamacchia- sp?) and who knows what to do at the top of the order (though many teams would love to have the same lineup "problem" that the Red Sox do)? Aside from Lester and Buchholz, the rotation could go either way. If Lackey and Beckett regain even a semblance of their former selves and Dice-K remains Dice-K (low innings, high pitch count, era in the mid fours), this is at LEAST the second best rotation in baseball (tough to top Philly). If not, you could have struggles 3-5.

The good news is that the team has depth in every aspect of the game. They're built to withstand some injuries and still win. I think they have an excellent team; solid in all areas. However, I wouldn't be a Red Sox fan if I wasn't skeptical. We'll see. I'm so pumped for this season.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 AM

Good point, LR, about not really being a Sox fan if you didn't have some doubts. Even though I pointed out above, that fortunes had changed, I was talking more about how the Sox themselves have done in recent years. When it comes to how fans react, myself included, I think it's too deeply ingrained to expect the Sox to disappoint you in the end for that to be completely erased by a couple of championships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: