Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times

Advertisements

Adrian C. Louis
Sherman Alexie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,045 times
George Orwell
William Shakespeare
Edgar Allan Poe
Mark Twain
Shirley Jackson

Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM

361 posts, read 748,203 times
Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy and John Grisham.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM

220 posts, read 282,608 times
Jane Austen. I get the warm fuzzies every time I read one of her books.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,006 times
Lewis Carroll
Ray Bradbury
Mary Renault
Isaac Asimov
Piers Anthony
Robert Heinlein
Taylor Caldwell
Thor Heyerdahl
Edgar Allan Poe
Eric Temple Bell
Anne McCaffrey
H. Rider Haggard
Mercedes Lackey
Michael McDowell
Zenna Henderson
William Shakespeare
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Thomas Burnett Swann
Andre Norton/Andrew North
Graham Masterton aka Thomas Luke ~ early works
H.P. Lovecraft and other writers of the Cthulhu Mythos
Stephen King ~ earlier works (downhill for me by the time of "Rose Madder")

The Journeys of McGill Feighan by Kevin O'Donnell
Book of the Beast trilogy by Robert Stallman

I'll probably have to come back when I'm more awake. I've been up all night from fibro-ouchies.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,006 times
I forgot an important one: J.R.R. Tolkien! In the Seventies, I was fortunate enough to be in the first Tolkien Literature course started at EIU. It started in a regular classroom. By the next time it was offered, word had spread, and they had to move to an auditorium! We studied works that influenced Tolkien, including "The Song of Roland" and The Elder Edda.

I also enjoy Kenneth Robeson's Doc Savage series; early Anne Rice; and Stuart M. Kaminsky's Toby Peters novels (just about the only mystery series I really enjoy).

My parents taught me to read at the age of 4. Due to living in a very small town, we didn't have access to all of the books I craved. The closest library was in a city more than 25 miles away; I was allowed only three books a month, even when my parents explained how quickly I could finish a book. (I never skimmed; I actually read at a high words per minute-rate.) So, I relied on two sources: my older cousin bringing me books from the third-grade library and my parents allowing me to check out books from the adult section of the library. So, I skipped reading children's books most people consider usual and instead covered mythologies of the world, paleontology (my first real love and ambition), archaeology, and writers far beyond my age, including ERB and Richard Halliburton.

Growing up, I read my way through these:
Henry Gregor Felsen's car novels ~ His cautionary works definitely are one of two reasons I've always been an exceedingly careful driver. Even the protagonist could die; one novel ends with the boy (our hero) and his date killed in an accident after he is careless while driving.
Erle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason series) aka A.A. Fair (his other mystery novels)
Hugh Lofting's Doctor Dolittle (among the few "kiddie" books I read)
Leslie Charteris' The Saint novels
Ian Fleming's James Bond novels

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
^
Tolkein was a gifted writer when it came to geographical discription, besides being a good writer overall.

I read Anne Rices' Interview with a Vampire, and found it, well, rather erotic. It just got me excited in an odd way. I think she was using 'vampire' as a sort of metaphor for something else. Impressive @@@

Recent writers I liked...hmm...well...

Stuart Dybek who writes of Chicago neighborhoods in a magical realism style. His stuff is pretty good.

Also,

For non-fiction, I like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Rotella]Carlo Rotella[/url] a lot. I super-enjoyed his
'October Cities' book on postwar urban lit.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM

112 posts, read 179,345 times
John Steinbeck, Pat Conroy, Larry McMurtry, Willa Cather, John Iriving

Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I agree with
Mark Twain (though I really haven't read much of his writings- what I have read I really enjoyed)
Bill Bryson (becoming a major fan- have recently read A Walk in the Woods, Neither here nor there, and presently enjoying Mother Tongue). I think he could write about practically anything and it would be a good read. The man is a masterful storyteller.
Jane Austen (enjoyable as it is, I do find it "work" because of the old language/sentence structure)

Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 PM

112 posts, read 179,345 times
Forgot Bill Bryson; he's on mine, too, Mayvenne!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books