Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:25 AM

12 posts, read 50,797 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm a Californian who, like many Californians, got the heck out of California and moved to post-Katrina New Orleans. Now, I'm buying a house in Birmingham (Eastlake) and moving there next month. (I'm excited, I love trees and mountains!)

I have a few questions:

How bad is the drought? Any end in sight? Will I be able to grow my tomatoes? Water my lawn?

Are people really that unfriendly in Alabama? I've found southerners to be very polite and genuinely warm if they like you, but I'm seeing some negative press here.

How are retail sales there? It doesn't seem like Birmingham got caught up in that inflationary bubble that has afflicted the rest of the country.

Are there parrot breeders there? I need a new parrot. My parrot flew away.

Rockhounding. I hear there're rocks in them thar hills. Are they accessable?

Traffic? HA! I laugh at your tales of traffic! It can't possibly be worse than the 405 through Los Angeles at 5 pm

And last but not least, please tell me you have Carl's JR there. Carl's JR is called Hardee's in the south, I think. Yum, ...six dollar burger with guacamole....

Last edited by CaligirlinNawlins; 02-24-2008 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: added stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,231,067 times
Don't live in B'ham but an hour away, but I can tell you there are parrot breeders in the area. My daughter bought an african grey from a breeder, once you get settled ask again and I will get you the info.

We are still in a drought but we have been getting a good bit of rain the last couple of months.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Drought is a relative term. Our drought is still 30 inches more than LA gets...But it's easing now.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 AM

763 posts, read 3,839,107 times
Drought question: In the winter, our reservois' 'recharge' due to normally high rains in Jan-April. Since Jan 1, we have had above average rainfall, but not enough to bring our reservois' to full pool. So as we look into the growing season coming up, we do not know about the situation at this time.

If you have a small lawn, you may or may not have water restrictions depending upon how much recharge we get into our water resources.

There is a very large and successful retail base in Birmingham....please let us know how we can help you.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up thank ya!

Good to hear from you all.

An African Grey is exactly what I'm looking to replace (I miss my birdie).

I'm glad to hear "drought is a relative thing." I was wondering where could possibly be drier than parts of California. LOL!

Extra glad to hear business is strong there, I'll be able to get a job and pay for that new house. Of course, new is a relative term, too. I bought a 108 year old house.

Nice forum you've got here. Thanks for the welcome!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
Caligirl - were people friendly to you in NOLA?

Hardees are common. Rockhounding - lots of iron ore in Bham and plenty of caves around the area, Georgia gold a couple of hours away.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Default I love New Orleans

Yeah, the people here ROCK! I've never seen anything like it, actually.

My decision to move to Birmingham was set once I heard rumors of mountains and mineral deposits. I posted a "rental wanted" ad on Craigslist and a nice couple came at me with a deal to buy their house that I couldn't pass up.

Now I've got a friend from Huntsville who lives here in New Orleans who wants to move to Birmingham with me until he gets settled in his own place. So far I'm liking the people there a lot.

Thanks.

YAY, I am *so* eating the biggest burger they've got. No Hardee's in NOLA. mmmm....thick, juicy cow.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 AM

By the way, I agreed to buy the house sight unseen (yes, I am a little bit crazy). I haven't even been to Birmingham yet. Of course, I've read the appraisal and neighborhood demographics. My opinion was that it couldn't possibly be any worse than the houses in New Orleans. Katrina did a number on this place. You know, plus it *is* the Big Easy.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
Quote:
the people here ROCK
You get what you give.

I've lived in NOLA twice - loved it. First time, Mid-City / UNO and East; second time Uptown Audubon Park.

A forum regular, 'Historic Bessemer', knows a lot about old houses, I expect that he'll chime in here soon.

Quote:
The Alabama Mineral and Lapidary Society,
is a non-profit organization for the people interested
in geology, mineralogy paleontology, and the lapidary arts.

The society holds regular meetings on the second
Friday of each month at 6:30 P.M. Meetings are
currently held in the meeting rooms of the Vestivia
Hills Library
AMLS Home

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 AM

Where's Vestivia Hills?

I live in Mid City, and I lived in the Marigny. Both neighborhoods have wonderful coffeeshops and nice neighbors, plus you can't beat the Marigny for colorful characters.

I love the way all the houses are pink and purple and chartreuse and turquoise and they don't look gaudy for some reason. A turquoise house in California is just plain ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area