Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 06:40 PM

27 posts, read 23,940 times

Advertisements

So please be kind in regards to my post. I admit I'm a tad ignorant in regards to earthquake knowledge since I haven't been around them or to the Pacific Coast. I recently watched a movie that had an earthquake in it and I started doing research as a result out of curiosity. I see that obviously Portland is at risk and have looked at the fault lines. Then I came across an article that said if a bad earthquake hit that the Bend area would be the "safe zone." I see from some history reports that Bend has around 2.3 rating for earthquakes, do they go beyond that or have the possibility to get up to a 6 or 7 in Bend?

Also, what about the Eugene area of Oregon is it around the same as Bend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 08:39 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,778 times
Bend is a designated staging area for disaster relief when the Big One hits. I figure that is a pretty good statement for backing up its stability.

You can google "earthquake zone maps" or similar to get some good resources for evaluating risk at specific locations. There are some real surprises if you look at the USA map in general.

Now if the pools of magma barely under the surface of Central Oregon decide to "leak", that is a whole other concern. There is a reason there are so many hot springs in Central Oregon.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Seriously, the topic of earthquakes in Oregon gets beaten to death frequently. Do a search for the topic and you can see plenty of information on the topic plus all of "the sky is falling" paranoia.

I suppose I should mention in passing that Bend has three live volcanoes, one of which has been very recently active.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:03 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
There are a lot of earthquake discussions in the forums about "the big one", the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake. It'll be felt in Bend, but it isn't likely to be a large-scale event there. However, there are a number of local faults (mostly NW trending) that can produce earthquakes. Remember the that Cascades, which run from Canada to Northern California, are a chain of active volcanoes and earthquakes are strongly associated with volcanoes - Newberry Crater's last lava eruption was only 1,300 years ago, which is pretty recent in volcanic terms.

The upshot is - yes, earthquakes are possible. Probably not the large earthquakes that are associated with other areas, but enough that you need to take a look at the connection between house walls and foundation, unreinforced masonry and the like.

A general guide:
https://www.oregon.gov/OEM/hazardspr...rthquakes.aspx
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-30-2019, 10:35 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,004,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suppose I should mention in passing that Bend has three live volcanoes, one of which has been very recently active.
Which volcanoes in Bend are live? Which was recently active?

Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 AM

27 posts, read 23,940 times
Oh okay, interesting. Thanks for the info I was just curious. I didn't know earthquakes were a big topic in this forum as some others mentioned. I don't live there or even close to the Oregon/Pacific Coast so I'm personally not concerned, I was just trying to have a better understanding. I was confused when I read some articles about Bend being the safe zone, but Thom52 cleared that up for me, I didn't realize it was in regards to if a big one hit. So thank you! I also didn't know about the volcanoes (active ones) in that area as some commented on, so that's interesting, learned something new.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I suspect she is thinking of the Sisters "bulge" which has been pretty active over the last couple decades.

In geologic terms "active" doesn't mean currently erupting, it means capable of some type of volcanic event (not necessarily erupting like Mt St Helens). Volcanoes are considered "dormant" if it's been 10,000 years since the last event. An "event" can be detection of internal magma movement, steam explosions, lava explosions, pyroclastic (hot and cold) flows.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-30-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post

All three sisters are live and it's possible that some of the others are too.

One of the Sisters, I don't remember if it was Middle Sister or South Sister has been building a lava bulge. That means magma is right up near the surface.

(A quick Google says it is South Sister)

Old 09-30-2019, 03:20 PM

It's very possible to have Earthquakes in the Bend area. I think that it gets called "safe" because ther is very little danger of Central Oregon falling into the ocean or of being drowned with a tsunami.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
This is a very well put together assessment on what to expect when the Cascadia subduction zone quake does happen.

http://wleog.org/wp-content/uploads/...astructure.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend