Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 AM

329 posts, read 460,388 times

Advertisements

yes I think they will take first a pilot with a usa passport than a guy with a green card.

they may think green card holders are now terrorist. and will not take any risk at all.

since these stories of Boston, life is harder for legal immigrants. anyway my friend think to surrender his green card as he see there is no future as a pilot in the usa.

what else to do, drive trucks, taxy driver or work in a mac Donald?

hard hard to be a pilot... job for losers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Eh, I wouldn't say it's for losers. It still beats many jobs out there, but certainly the career is not what it once was. I have a friend flying a sweet corporate gig who is doing very well though, but those positions are few and far between.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 AM

I think nobody care if u have an atp...
years ago, you could enter in any part 135 company and they didn't let you leave without a contract.

first job for a guy, was flying part 135.on turboprop. training paid... 2200$ to fly maybe 4 days a week. and just 2 short flight a day.

now you send your resume to airlines, flight school. or else, they all make fun of you. flight schools ask you to stand all day waiting for customers.
part 135 pay now less than 2000$/month to be on stand by 24h.
airlines pay you 1500$ and u are on call at home or you fly from 6am to 6pm if lucky.

most of my pilot friends stoped to fly. are sitting at home. no need to stay current, for what.? .. stay current if situation go better...?

in europe we have thousands of pilots with no job...
and usa debt still going up...

when time was good, usa had plenty of money. since bush and china came, they f... d up everything.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Considering the responsibility the airline pilots have and the possibility that your career could be over in an instant pilots are severely under paid. I can't count the number of people I have known that work desk jobs that make 100K a year or much more. But over the 30 years I have been around aviation I have known at least 40 want-to-be airline pilots that had put in years and years building hours with their own money and then to get into the airlines and then have a medical issue stop their career cold before they reach 40. So for every 1 of you out there there are maybe a 100 people that get there dreams smashed.

Making it to the commuters and only making 100K a year is not that good. I do know one guy that flies for American (or at least he did a year ago) and flew internationally and he did say that he made about 250K a year.

I was at the airport yesterday and 2 pilots I ran into have dreams of flying professionally. One of them is about 50 years old and he thinks he can have a career in aviation. The other guy is a CFI and is 25 years of age. His family is supporting him while he builds hours. The only problem is that he is about 100 pounds over weight, smokes, drinks, and smokes pot. Another pilot at the airport that I talked with yesterday is an airport regular. He used to fly for a commuter airlines and he said that he had to quit because of the pay. He started a local business and within 5 years he became a local successful business man. I was talking to him in his hangar where he kept his Baron. He has never regretted quitting the commuter airlines.

All I'm saying is that for what is required to be a professional pilot that the same effort put to use in 100's of other fields would reap much more money.
Of course 250k is much preferable...keep in mind the last time American hired off the street I was in high school...I'm 31, not like I'm 64 1/2! I have plenty of time to go to a major carrier (fingers crossed). I upgraded in 2008 @ 26 in 30 months.

If you can't make a living on 100k a year you are doing something wrong.

My point was that the money you earn is far more than the opening wages you get when first hired. Unions did this because you spend the lions share of your time at the elevated pay scales vs. first year pay.

I have no doubt that there are desk jobs that pay more than a commuter CA's pay. But I also know for a fact those jobs are filled with far more stress than pilots experience, and the work is significantly more. I have averaged 11.5 days/month working since January as a lineholder...

The months on ready reserve (I bid it on purpose as low man on totem poll) I worked one day a week. I would come into the airport @ 5 am and sleep till 1130 and go home. You're telling me you know a desk job that is comparable to that? Pick up some day trips and those guys are making $115k or so. Again, not horrible at a commuter.

Last edited by wheelsup; 07-06-2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
yes I think they will take first a pilot with a usa passport than a guy with a green card.

they may think green card holders are now terrorist. and will not take any risk at all.

since these stories of Boston, life is harder for legal immigrants. anyway my friend think to surrender his green card as he see there is no future as a pilot in the usa.

what else to do, drive trucks, taxy driver or work in a mac Donald?

hard hard to be a pilot... job for losers...
We have a pilot from Yemen here. Also a former Russian military test pilot. Various folks from China, Vietnam, and Korea. Your "friend" is sorely mistaken.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Of course 250k is much preferable...keep in mind the last time American hired off the street I was in high school...I'm 31, not like I'm 64 1/2! I have plenty of time to go to a major carrier (fingers crossed). I upgraded in 2008 @ 26 in 30 months.

My point was that the money you earn is far more than the opening wages you get when first hired. Unions did this because you spend the lions share of your time at the elevated pay scales vs. first year pay.

I have no doubt that there are desk jobs that pay more than a commuter CA's pay. But I also know for a fact those jobs are filled with far more stress than pilots experience, and the work is significantly more. I have averaged 11.5 days/month working since January as a lineholder...

The months on ready reserve (I bid it on purpose as low man on totem poll) I worked one day a week. I would come into the airport @ 5 am and sleep till 1130 and go home. You're telling me you know a desk job that is comparable to that? Pick up some day trips and those guys are making $115k or so. Again, not horrible at a commuter.
There's some truth to that, but I am a firm believer you can be poor on any salary. I had friends who were "making due" on a $30k/year airline budget...who are struggling on a $90k/yr salaried job...all about how you live and what your expectations are.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

The problem with your narrative continues to be your lack of recognition that your progression at the regionals is not the median, which is to say, it's NOT a representative value with which to gage the health and potential of the career. 30 months to the CA seat? You cannot sell that to the average Joe regional FO out there with a straight face and you know it. I'm glad the gamble worked for you, but stop treating it as gospel. I guarantee you had you been stuck as a perma-FO on your sixth year and second regional you'd be begging for a desk job that allowed your family the dignity to pay the bills on time for once. It doesn't take a formal report from the BLS to learn that there are a hell of a lot more regional perma-FOs out there than 30 month lottery ticket holders at the regionals.

The reality is that there will never be a pilot shortage. The only shortage will come in the form of finding people willing to be perma-regional-FOs for 40K normalized over 10 years of employment. They can't up the FO pay; the regional model is based on undercutting contracts and high turnover labor force to keep the median labor cost low. That cannot happen if FOs make living wages commensurate with the level of responsibility asked of them. As such, the only avenue left is for regionals to fold and pilot seats to vanish back to mainline, before any substantive pay increase occurs in the regional FO ranks. The world of 10,000 RJ pilot seats will come to an end and perhaps that's good for the industry...just bad for those who loathe working a desk job, for that is what they'll be forced to go back to when the airline pilot dream disappears with the parking of RJs. To a certain degree, the proposition of getting a career hung-start for 6-10 years as a regional FO should be initiative enough for people to give up and pursue real avenues of living and employment. But that's a matter of personal choices.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
The two PIC in San Francisco might be looking for work soon.... They just need to brush up on low landings with seawalls!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 PM

please no comments on San Francisco landing.

I have seen a texan airline is parking its atr as well its rj. they even offer 5000 $ to sign up...

in one hand they get rid of planes,other hand they offer 5000 to sign up!

what is that?

Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The two PIC in San Francisco might be looking for work soon.... They just need to brush up on low landings with seawalls!
Ya they will be looking for work if not spending time in jail for manslaughter. If they have been found derelict in their duties then there will be civil and criminal cases waiting for them. I think their lives are for all practical reasons over. If you are in the business of flying passengers around you don't realize the seriousness of the profession then you are just kidding yourself. At least to me 100K a year doesn't sound very good to me when considering the whole picture.

BTW never heard of a desk jockey facing civil or criminal action for a brain fart while on final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation