Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
For 10K-12K, I would look at a different vehicle. The engine is amazing but as many have said, the shifter paired with it doesn't do the engine justice. The looks/interior are very sub-par as most Pontiacs are.

Why not look at an '05+ Mustang GT for comparable money? The engine may not be as big but the car has a much better look/feel to it than the GTO does.
1) the interior is sub-par? compared to what? certainly not the Mustang you're suggesting. the GTO's interior has to be one of the nicest GM has ever offered.

2) as far as being 'like other Pontiacs', the only thing it shares is the arrowhead logos, the kidney grilles (admittedly not my favorite) and the parent company. Other than that, it's completely different car than anything Pontiac offers.

3) get a 05 Mustang? why, so he can lose to the 'under-powered' 04 GTOs and get royally spanked by the 05-06s? or so he can have the same car that you see dozens of times a day rather than something a little more unique?

4) the shifter can be changed. while i agree the stock one is junk, any car guy should be able to look past that in a hearbeat knowing that the aftermarket has undoubtedly come up with a fix.

i had a 2004. loved it, and i will have another some day. it's a grand touring car. sporty enough to be fun, comfortable enough to ride for hours, and low-key enough to stay under the radar. my biggest gripe was all the trunk space lost to the gas tank being moved to meet US crash standards. other nuisances included a somewhat limited aftermarket (though there is plenty if you're willing to import from Australia), limited wheel selection, and some difficulty getting the rear to hook up on a hard launch (like at a drag strip).

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Considering theres 5k difference between 04 and 05-6 and an abundant 5.7 aftermarket.

Ill take the 350 horses put there rest in mods and pocket the change.

Crooks
According to AutoTrader, the difference in median asking price for a 2004 vs. a 2005 with less than 45K miles is $1,800.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:33 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
A friend has one, an automatic 6.0 He drove both (2004) and was overall way more impressed by the 2006 he bought. Its a nice car. The only thing i could even say that i dont like about it is that parts for it have to come from AU, he was quoteed $750 or so for a front fender. (PLus $125 for the badge). Dealers dont stock body parts but can get them. Im afraid to drive his, as im pretty sure it will make me want one!

Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,377 times
Yeah I dunno, if you want the GTO then get it...but those cars aren't particularly well liked or praised. Basically they're thought of as being a bit of a turd if you will, basically explaining why they only lasted for a handfull of years before Pontiac pulled the plug on the GTO's comeback.

I'd go for a Mustang as well, far better potential for resale, easily accessible parts and repairs, and it's just a much better car overall. It's not that the GTO is terrible, Pontiac just dropped the ball with it due to the usual GM problems of that era dealing with underwhelming performance, questionable styling, cheap plastic parts, etc. Again...I'd get it in an instant if it was what I 100% wanted, but overall there's much better options available.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
The GTO(Monaro actually) was only planned for three or so years in total.

The car to me lacked visual appeal but went well,400hp is nothing to sneeze at.It was also a little pudgy....but for some reason that happens to a lot of cars when sold to the American public.

As to the Mustang of similar years being better,well...it was slower.

Stock 2006 Pontiac GTO 2 dr coupe 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com
Stock 2005 Ford Mustang GT 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com

Interior:
GTO.

Mustang.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:16 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
1) the interior is sub-par? compared to what? certainly not the Mustang you're suggesting. the GTO's interior has to be one of the nicest GM has ever offered.

2) as far as being 'like other Pontiacs', the only thing it shares is the arrowhead logos, the kidney grilles (admittedly not my favorite) and the parent company. Other than that, it's completely different car than anything Pontiac offers.

3) get a 05 Mustang? why, so he can lose to the 'under-powered' 04 GTOs and get royally spanked by the 05-06s? or so he can have the same car that you see dozens of times a day rather than something a little more unique?

4) the shifter can be changed. while i agree the stock one is junk, any car guy should be able to look past that in a hearbeat knowing that the aftermarket has undoubtedly come up with a fix.
The GTO reminds me of a Pontiac Sunfire (junk).
Attached Thumbnails
2004-2006 gto-gto.jpg   2004-2006 gto-sunfire.jpg  

Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
The Monaro ended up working out well for GM Australia(Holden). It was one of those concepts never intended for production and then local interest got them going. Developmental costs were on a budget and they only spent $20 million AUS$ developing to production. I've got some photos of one of the 20 pre production models that I took back in Australia. It was never intended initially for production for the USA. But Pontiac was desperate, so there you have it.

For the price it's a pretty competent car and while a lot of people think the styling is bland, I am just fine with it.

Holden raced this car in the now defunct Nations Cup for production cars in Australia from 2002-2004 except it used a 427 engine.

YouTube - 24H Bathurst 2003 Final 3 Laps

YouTube - 427 Monaro Onboard

Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The GTO reminds me of a Pontiac Sunfire (junk).
so because it bears a faint resemblence to a car you consider junk, it therefore has all the attrubutes of that vehicle?

Mike

Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
They ARE both yellow in the pics....

Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
so because it bears a faint resemblence to a car you consider junk, it therefore has all the attrubutes of that vehicle?

Mike
I think for the price, there are much better vehicles out there! I'm sure it's fast but the looks of the vehicle alone would hinder me from buying one. No thank you, I'll stick to my 'Vette!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive