Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think this will be common place in the next decade or so? If so how would this work? I heard about some company that can convert mustangs to 100% electric for 80,000 .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
I have been considering converting my Porsche 914 to electric. The kit is a bit over $15,000 including shipping, but that will give me a range of 150 miles ( probably less here...Lots of hills ) and a top speed of 100 mph. I have only about $ 7,000 invested in the car, so for $22,000 I could have a clean, green, trouble free machine.

See Volksporsche AC 914 kit.

Electro Automotive: AC Conversion Kits (http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/ackits.shtml#ac914 - broken link)

Or you could buy brand new....This car is awesome!

Tesla Motors

Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
sanspeur

thx man.

I am in the process of restoring a 93 acura integra. Planning to put a 98 spec type R engine in it. Was thinking about converting it to electric some time down the road. Not sure if I will see this project through though. Have my heart set on restoring a 240sx (S14) and maybe swapping in a silvia engine in. Then converting it.

Oh and the Tesla = the truth!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have been considering converting my Porsche 914 to electric. The kit is a bit over $15,000 including shipping, but that will give me a range of 150 miles ( probably less here...Lots of hills ) and a top speed of 100 mph. I have only about $ 7,000 invested in the car, so for $22,000 I could have a clean, green, trouble free machine.

See Volksporsche AC 914 kit.

Electro Automotive: AC Conversion Kits (http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/ackits.shtml#ac914 - broken link)

Or you could buy brand new....This car is awesome!

Tesla Motors

I noticed the kit doesn't seem to include batteries, have you priced them? And their expected life? How many miles need be driven to make the kit/installation cost pay for itself versus cost of gasoline?

While I believe we must wean ouselves from foreign oil I don't be;ieve it will be an easy process.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Yup...I forgot about the batteries. I would need about 24 of them at app. $100 each...My price just climbed to $24,400. Sadly the batteries only have a life span of about 3 to 5 years....

Old 04-02-2008, 01:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
There would have to be a massive breakthrough in recharge times before a substantial portion of our auto fleet goes go full-electric. Electric cars may be practical for daily commuting, but the minute you want to drive anywhere outside the charge range, it becomes massively inconvenient. IMO the more likely solution will be plug-ins like the forthcoming Chevy Volt that can do electric-only for commuting and then switch over to a gasoline generator for longer trips.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM

955 posts, read 2,158,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I noticed the kit doesn't seem to include batteries, have you priced them? And their expected life? How many miles need be driven to make the kit/installation cost pay for itself versus cost of gasoline?

While I believe we must wean ouselves from foreign oil I don't be;ieve it will be an easy process.
There are a lot of items which would need to be added to the basic kit to make it work. It looks like the motor itself is an add on item, depending on which one you want to select. I also went to the manufacturer site and the conversion from MPG to an equivalent MGV-electric is a fairly complicated federal register formula. I didn't take the time, but I would like to know if they have included all of the cost drivers in the analysis.

When you look at the motor specs, they go something like 70 peak horsepower to continuous 20 horsepower, so the 100 MPH capability may be for about three minutes after draining the batteries.

Finally, the link below is to treehugger which has some interesting caveats (and they are huge supporters) - like flat ground, warm weather, manual transmission only, you must tear down your car, dispose of the engine and a few other details before you can get it going. So if you are a mechanical engineer, like me, it might be fun to put together over a few dull months, but if you're not, there will be a steep installation charge to pay.

Converting Your Car To An Electric Vehicle : TreeHugger

Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup...I forgot about the batteries. I would need about 24 of them at app. $100 each...My price just climbed to $24,400. Sadly the batteries only have a life span of about 3 to 5 years....

I think it's great people are looking for alternatives to foreign oil, I just tend to look for all the hidden costs.

Years ago you'd bring a spent battery to a scrap yard, they'd weigh it and actually pay you a small amount, it then progressed to where they would take it, now they won't even take it. Disposal fees may at sometime reach a point where it's a significant cost.

The Tesla Roadster is an interesting concept with its Lithium batteries but we're going to need a large cost reduction before it's a practical alternative for the average driver.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:22 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,706,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
There are a lot of items which would need to be added to the basic kit to make it work. It looks like the motor itself is an add on item, depending on which one you want to select. I also went to the manufacturer site and the conversion from MPG to an equivalent MGV-electric is a fairly complicated federal register formula. I didn't take the time, but I would like to know if they have included all of the cost drivers in the analysis.

When you look at the motor specs, they go something like 70 peak horsepower to continuous 20 horsepower, so the 100 MPH capability may be for about three minutes after draining the batteries.

Finally, the link below is to treehugger which has some interesting caveats (and they are huge supporters) - like flat ground, warm weather, manual transmission only, you must tear down your car, dispose of the engine and a few other details before you can get it going. So if you are a mechanical engineer, like me, it might be fun to put together over a few dull months, but if you're not, there will be a steep installation charge to pay.

Converting Your Car To An Electric Vehicle : TreeHugger

Agree 100%

Another little tid bit that always seems to get left out is the lack of air conditioning or heat/windsheild defrost in the winter time. I can hear it now ......well I can do without the air conditioning,...good for you...but you can not do without wipers (summer or winter) head lights at night, and windsheld defrost if you live up north here. And as mentioned battery performance falls off quickly as the ambient temp goes down, AND battery life goes down too as the ambient temp goes up. (for those in the south). The data shown is nearly always the best case stuff....if you have to engineer for year round real world situations things get a whole lot tougher.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,255 times
I agree with JBrown: what do you do about HEAT, in the wintertime? In the northern states, it can easily be zero degrees (or colder) in the winter months. If a car is 100% electric, I estimate it will take about a 5000-watt heater element inside the car to keep it reasonably warm. Are the batteries going to quit after 5 or 10 miles?

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive