Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 418 times

Advertisements

Yep factory batteries aren't much good. Went in to the post office, came back out and dead. After a dew hours in 115 degree heat waiting for a tow went and dealt with my OLD tow company. Long story short the car is a 2018 and has 12k miles on it. So it didn't even make it a year and a half. Doesn't matter they gave me a new one free all the time and aggravation wasn't worth it. So in about a year I'm going to buy a new one regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
Yup. Driving down the freeway, the battery in my daughter's car shorted out or whatever. Car stopped. Dead. She pulled over. Towed it home. New battery. Car is fine.

But wait with the car running the alternator powers the car and you do not even need a battery. Well not quite, but setting that aside, the battery became a black hole for power. It apparently absorbed or diverted all of the power the alternator was creating. Not sure why it happened. It was an Interstate battery, still under warranty.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:13 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,777,083 times
Usually a battery will give a little warning, but it's subtle. If you're not a Mechanical God like myself, you could easily overlook it. So yeah, for all pracfical purposes batteries can and often do die suddenly.

Personally my ears are well calibrated so I can detect the slightest variation in cranking RPM. First time it cranks a little slow, I check the date on the battery. If it's 5 years old or more, I replace it before really checking anything else.

I had a battery last 7 years once. But reliability is iffy at 5 years.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,707,820 times
I pulled into a motel once after crossing the desert in late summer and the next morning my car wouldn't start. The repairman said the intense heat killed my battery.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,885,743 times
We live in Florida and the battery morality rate is ridiculous here. If you get 3 years, you have done good, but you never know. I recently removed a battery from a car I built, just because I thought it might let me down, and it was 9 years old. But that is the exception for sure.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:52 PM

408 posts, read 260,791 times
Anyone here remembers the J.C. Penny "Forever" battery. I must have went though 6 of those batteries before J.C. Penny stopped selling them.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:14 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Reminds me of one of the best Freudian slips ever. Overheard while standing at a Sears automotive counter buying a new Die Hard.

Ancient little lady shuffled up to the counter next to me:

"My husband said we need a new car battery. He told me which one, but I can never remember the name! Oh, think I've got it now. It was a Drop Dead battery."

Nice young man behind the counter controlled himself admirably. Didn't jump, choke, bulge out his eyes, or burst out laughing. Just a slightly rigid posture and a lip twitch.

"Ah, yes. We can get you set right up with what you need. Have a seat Ma'am, we'll get right on it!"

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-30-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,166,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yup. Driving down the freeway, the battery in my daughter's car shorted out or whatever. Car stopped. Dead. She pulled over. Towed it home. New battery. Car is fine.

But wait with the car running the alternator powers the car and you do not even need a battery. Well not quite, but setting that aside, the battery became a black hole for power. It apparently absorbed or diverted all of the power the alternator was creating. Not sure why it happened. It was an Interstate battery, still under warranty.

Internal short in the battery, probably.

BTW while a car with a generator (1950's) can and will run with no battery in the circuit, doing that with an alternator is asking to blow out the diodes in the rectifier. The old hillbilly test of start the car, pull off battery ground strap to see if the *generator* is working is OK, (if car quits running when you disconnect battery, the generator is not working) but don't do it with an *alternator*.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:27 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,924,094 times
It’s crazy, my OEM battery lasted about three years, my Sears (mid-range) replacement lasted 13 years, both failed without warning. This is an 02 Subaru so doesn’t have all the amperage draining accessories of new cars. I wouldn’t expect any new car battery to last longer than five and probably closer than three because of those.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,777,083 times
Cheap batteries often last longer than expensive batteries. Seriously.

I can bore you with the details if you want. But instead I ask that you have faith in your Mechanical God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive