Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,822 posts, read 81,789,377 times

Advertisements

If the embargo is lifted, Cuba is crazy about our classic and muscle cars. Take a look at this show some time.

Cuban Chrome | Discovery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
It's very much a dwindling market though. The guys who are turning 40 and 50 now don't have the same feeling of nostalgia for those old muscle cars as people in their 60's and 70's do, and aren't willing to pay the big bucks for a car that used to cost $5k.

I think in the next 20 years, we're going to see a massive price decrease on a lot of this stuff.
I'm not so sure. Have you been to a car show lately, or a swap meet? You may be surprised to see the number of teens, and 20-somethings there. I have been looking at Novas and Chevelles and most of the sellers have been under 30 and only a couple were selling for a parent. Currently, 58% of the 5 million classic cars owned in the U.S are owned by Baby Boomers, according to Car & Driver based on a Hagerty study.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM

24,527 posts, read 33,408,630 times
Great Mopars you posted, Seafood. I like all the classic muscle cars but Mopar was always my first choice.

I believe classic muscle cars appeal to all ages, not just the 60+-year-olds. I see quite a few kids looking at muscle cars at car shows and more than once I saw a parent and child looking over a muscle car and the parent is teaching him things like "4-bbl carburetor," "4.11 rear end" and "unsilenced air cleaner."

Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,316,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Great Mopars you posted, Seafood. I like all the classic muscle cars but Mopar was always my first choice.

I believe classic muscle cars appeal to all ages, not just the 60+-year-olds. I see quite a few kids looking at muscle cars at car shows and more than once I saw a parent and child looking over a muscle car and the parent is teaching him things like "4-bbl carburetor," "4.11 rear end" and "unsilenced air cleaner."
I see this almost every time I am out with one of the MOPARS. Kids love em...(big kids too).

Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 PM

24,527 posts, read 33,408,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I see this almost every time I am out with one of the MOPARS. Kids love em...(big kids too).
It is comforting to know that classic muscle cars will be appreciated by the present and hopefully future generations.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 AM

I just read an interesting article in HoT Rod magazine about their recent Power Tour, and how many of the classic muscle cars on the tour had child safety seats in the back. Probably not a lot of baby boomers driving those.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 AM

17,566 posts, read 22,336,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If the embargo is lifted, Cuba is crazy about our classic and muscle cars. Take a look at this show some time.

Cuban Chrome | Discovery
Yeah except the Cuban people have no money! Average income is 471 pesos a month ($20 US).

The only "American Cars" they will be buying are "Hot Wheels"

Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,911,460 times
When you have the money later if life, you pay for the older vehicles you are nostalgic about. That may be what was new/desirable when you were young (Scion XB?) - - or it may be what was already collectible at the time. It will be interesting to see if muscle cars retain the strong interest. Not a lot of people looking for restored Model T's anymore (though my late Dad always wanted one).....

Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I never considered my MOPARS as investments. Strictly for pleasure and fun. Side benefit that they have grown in $$ value.
mike
Beautiful cars!

While they "grow in value" keep in mind the opportunity cost of owning them (as in what that money could be doing in other investments). Lots of guys start with "I bought it for $500 and sold it for $25,000." Leaving out the 40,000 they spent owning, restoring it!

The other thing is actually selling them. I have seen guys turn down solid money for their cars, then when they want to sell suddenly there are no buyers with cash. "Grown in value" can be deceiving, the value isn't actually real until the buyer is writing the check or slapping 100's on the hood.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
When you have the money later if life, you pay for the older vehicles you are nostalgic about. That may be what was new/desirable when you were young (Scion XB?) - - or it may be what was already collectible at the time. It will be interesting to see if muscle cars retain the strong interest. Not a lot of people looking for restored Model T's anymore (though my late Dad always wanted one).....
I read an article in Car and Driver and they mentioned you will always love the cars you loved in high school. For each generation it is almost spot on what their age group likes. The glitch is the late 70's stuff.....cars sucked. For those kids they were buying late 60's big block stuff that would crush the late 70's versions. I can't imagine dreaming of a 78 Corvette with 180 HP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive