Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times

Advertisements

I like leather seats. Even my dash is leather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:19 AM

358 posts, read 886,756 times
In all vehicles with a base price under $50,000 and probably under $80,000, and in most more expensive vehicles, a "Leather" interior is comprised of either:

1. Synthetic leather aka Vinyl. They are allowed to call Synthetic Leather "leather" It is much improved over older vinyls used in automobiles and 99% of consumers cannot tell the difference between synthetic leather and real leather. Sometimes the advertising material will have an asterisk or a footnote indicating it is synthetic leather, but not all that often. Until you get into the unusually expensive vehicles, all manufacturers use vinyl for at least part of what they call leather interiors.

2. Leather inserts in an otherwise vinyl seat. The leather inserts are used where the person normally comes into contact with the seat (buttocks and back). Very few consumers can distinguish where the leather ends and the vinyl begins.

3. Leather trimmed vinyl. This is similar to 2, but with the use of even less real leather.

Modern synthetic leather (vinyl) is better than leather. It wears far better (real leather does not wear all that well), it is more resistant to liquids, stains, heat and cold, it is euqally or more comfortable, and it is inexpensive to make and easy to instal. They can even make it smell like leather. Virtually everyone on this thread touting the benefits or leather are unknowlingy touting the benefits of vinyl or mostly vinyl interiors.

100% real leather seat skins are more difficult to instal and do not wear well at all by comparison. There is really no point in using 100% leather. Using leather for the bolsters, backs, bottoms and sides of the seats is a bit foolish. The cost is prohibitive in any event.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
Default When leather isn't leather

I recently bought a used 2007 buick that was advertised as the high end model with "leather" seats. But discovered that the seats are actually mostly vinyl as indicated above. The only real leather is in the outside panels of the front seats and only the bottom panel in the back seats. The rest, about 75% of the car seats, are vinyl.
So much for truth in advertising.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
We choose leather because we have kids and it's much easier to clean. The wife's seats are heated and cooled so it doesn't bother us with temperature. My seats aren't and I'll admit it's a little chilly right now.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Cloth seats are so difficult to clean especially the ones that are lint magnets. There are sports seats that have the very smooth material that are better but those rip very easily. Leather is surprisingly easier to clean and maintain but they won't last forever and expensive to replace.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:40 PM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
Cloth is impossible to clean.

I have beige leather seats and they don't get very hot even in direct sun. That also means they last longer. Beige or another light color is the way to go. Black sucks for car interiors-- Makes them feel less roomy and causes more fatigue.

Also, because the seats are real leather, I can use Lexol to treat them which is made from natural oils rather than toxic chemicals like vinyl treatments

Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
Modern synthetic leather (vinyl) is better than leather. It wears far better (real leather does not wear all that well), it is more resistant to liquids, stains, heat and cold, it is euqally or more comfortable, and it is inexpensive to make and easy to instal. They can even make it smell like leather. Virtually everyone on this thread touting the benefits or leather are unknowlingy touting the benefits of vinyl or mostly vinyl interiors.

100% real leather seat skins are more difficult to instal and do not wear well at all by comparison. There is really no point in using 100% leather. Using leather for the bolsters, backs, bottoms and sides of the seats is a bit foolish. The cost is prohibitive in any event.
Mercedes Benz MB-Tex is probably the best example of this. It's incredibly durable and wears like iron, much more than leather. If I was to get an old Benz (like a W123 or W124) I'd opt for one with MB-Tex over leather.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Like others have mentioned, we first though about cloth seats also for comfort.

But our new Honda Odyssey has leathers seats and they are definitely better and easier to clean. The kind of abuse kids dish out, spill, etc, the leathers seats are easily wiped clean, and easy to apply leather cleaner with conditioner/protect on there.

Cloth seats will retain dirt and also "bad smells" unless you regularly steam clean the seats.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Unless I had hired help to take care of my car, practicality rules. Faux leather holds up best. For some reason, most cars I look at do not offer it, but use cloth seating which can wear out, so I get seat covers. Why would I want a cover like leather which requires regular oiling?

Do people remember 'naugahide'? I'm still looking for the animal called a 'Nauga'.
Here it is: https://theinvisibleagent.wordpress....monster-1960s/

And whats so bad about leather? They slaughter the animals for beef anyhow. They should throw the hides away?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
My 76 Grand Marquis has leather, but has center cloth inserts. It's not bad. Of course leather then was much thicker than what they use today. You should see how thick the stitches are. As a result, 39 years after it was built, the seats are still in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive