Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times

Advertisements

I like both but leather is slightly easier to clean if you have kids that like to spill liquid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
How about it's easy to maintain?

If you stain a cloth seat, most likely you will need to steam clean it where with leather, you would simply wipe off with a damp towel. With cloth seats, if you do not dry them properly, it will create molds and etc that will not be pleasant to the sense of smell. As to the cracking of leather, as long as you use conditioner, you should be good to go. As to the wrinkles here and there, personally I think it adds character.

Personally, I can go either way but with having a toddler in the family, leather is a must.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
The black leather interior in our old but faithful 98 Audi A4 (that's the small one...) is as nice and classy as it was in 98, and nicer than many new cars. Yes, black leather is sometimes hot in the summer sun (back to location location location), hence my use of cardboard windshield sun shields...they make a difference. These sun screens may even help the leather (or cloth or vinyl...) interior last a bit better/longer. I have used them for years in many vehicles and love 'em. They are jsut as useful with cloth or vinyl interiors too.

Uh, and vinyl? Uh...if you must. I think the last car I had with it was a '65 Chevy Impala SS. In fact it was a joke of sorts back then for salespersons to say of cars with vinyl interior and a then popular option, vinyl roof ..."Its got the Double Vinyl" (jokingly pronounced to rhyme with Tin-ul)...but I digress (again). What I do dislike now is that many (more?) cars seem to be sold with a combo of leather/vinyl seats, made to appear to be and 'sold as' all leather. I won't mention brands here.

I agree with the previous comment that the type of car and associated leather does matter...again no brand names mentioned but there is often a noticeable difference when new and eventually as they age.

One more comment...I've had many leather interiors in greys, tans, etc. I sometimes prefer them for appearance depending on exterior color...and they are a bit better in that HOT sun situation.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Leather is better than cloth. More durable, cleans up better, lasts longer, and subjectively, it looks better. Leather also breathes better than vinyl. If properly maintained, leather seats can last 30 years or more with no cracking, and still feeling supple. Cloth? Forget it.

If someone doesn't like their leather seats, you can simply go and buy custom cloth covers.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 AM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Hopefully everyone here realizes the above cars mentioned.....not one had real leather. Most cars today are synthetic leathers, BMW calls theirs leatherette, Mercedes calls theirs MB Texture. Only in the higher end models do you get real leather and it is certainly an option you see on the sticker.

There is no cowhide in any Toyota, Honda, Buick, Chevrolet, etc.

and while we are eradicating myths......the other one is black interior is not any hotter in the sun than other colors:

Here is a guy's "science project" on the subject:
The interior of a Black car is not hotter than a White car - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
pics/identical cars etc with thermometers in each.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Only thing I hate about leather is the creases that eventually form on the drivers seat, no matter how much you put conditioner on them.

I also like to take my dogs riding with me occasionally, and their claws have scratched my leather before. If I try to put a towel over the seat it just slides and bunches up, I don't have to worry about that with cloth.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Hopefully everyone here realizes the above cars mentioned.....not one had real leather. ... Mercedes calls theirs MB Texture. Only in the higher end models do you get real leather and it is certainly an option you see on the sticker.
I was surprised when shopping to find this about BMW and MB. While "MB Tex" is really nice vinyl, it's still plastic no matter what the marketing folks call it. I couldn't see spending that much for a car with a vinyl interior and opted for the real leather.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I test drove several BMW 3 series and noticed a trend, the high optioned 3 series with leather had seats that were "rippled" or wavy as the leather had stretched and worn over the years..the bolsters typically showed more creases, and the were more prone to rips or wear. The 3 series that I drove with leatherette seating looked new and taught. The car didn't have that leather smell, but if I'm voting between smell and looks the eyes win for me.

End result, when I purchased my 06' VW in 07' it was a leatherette equipped car. 7 years later, the seats in that car look as good as the day they rolled off the factory in Mexico, so when the time came to buy another car, it also has leatherette...and after my daughter's projectile vomiting onto the seat a week ago, i'm glad I did. Pulled out the cleaners, gave everything a good wipedown, and let the car air out...good to go.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
I love leather in vehicles, easier to keep clean, looks better and if you have pets that shed it is a must.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,075 times
I prefer it only because it holds up better.

My 2001 Taurus had real leather - it was the last year that Ford used real leather.

I'll take vinyl or leather any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive