Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,887,218 times

Advertisements

This may seem a bit dumb but I wanted to know if I sound weird, being a guy in my mid-20's and not liking any of these popular options/trends:

- Window tinting
- Large diameter rims
(ie. bigger than 14 for small vehicles, bigger than 15" on ordinary fullsize vehicles)
- Low profile tires on anything beside sports cars
- Retina-searingly bright projector or halogen headlights
- Air-bags gallore, at the expense of more blindspots, due to thicker door and window pillars
- "Climate-control" instead of the old hot/cold knobs; some cars won't let you select a temp hotter than 85 F, or 90 F.
- Automatically locking the doors

It seems strange to me that none of these trends have any influence on fuel economy or pollution, yet for at least the past 5 years, perhaps 10 years, no new vehicles have been made with all the options that I like. Things like larger diameter brake rotors and "standard" factory window tinting make modifying most newer vehicles to something I'd be more comfortable with almost impossible.

Also if anyone also has comments about those trends, or other options feel free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM

355 posts, read 2,707,627 times
I dislike the aftermarket rims . When I get a vehicle , I just ride the factory rims , I don't need those big chrome rims . However, If the big chrome wheels are a factory option , I get them .

Old 10-07-2007, 10:43 AM

I like chrome, just not "big chrome wheels."
I'd prefer "small" chrome wheels on car tires with 4-5 inch tall sidewalls.

I dislike lower profile tires because the old style of tire, (what used to be common pre-1995) has a much better ability to absorb shock from hitting things like speedbumps and railroad tracks. I've felt this from both driving and being a passenger in many kinds of vehicles.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,523,998 times
There is actually a practical reason for the growth in rim size, and it's not just to show off. The bigger the rims are, the bigger the brakes are that you can put behind them. This is particularly important as vehicles get heavier and heavier. Larger wheel size can also improve handling characteristics if the rest of the suspension is properly tuned for them.

There is also a practical reason for the Xenon headlights too: they improve nighttime visibility dramatically. And while you complain of them being "searingly bright" they actually cast less light directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic. The light they cast is far more diffuse than standard headlights.

As for thicker pillars, they aren't just there to accommodate more airbags. They are there to strengthen to the safety cage around the passenger compartment; particularly to prevent the roof from collapsing in a rollover.

Automatic climate control is simply a comfort feature that more and more customers are asking for on their cars. There is also some safety benefit to automatic climate control: you "set it and forget it" instead of taking your attention away to keep fine-tuning the settings. It's also not particuarly new: I have automatic climate control on my 1989 Ford Taurus.

Last edited by Drover; 10-07-2007 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There is actually a practical reason for the growth in rim size, and it's not just to show off. The bigger the rims are, the bigger the brakes are that you can put behind them. This is particularly important as vehicles get heavier and heavier. Larger wheel size can also improve handling characteristics if the rest of the suspension is properly tuned for them.

There is also a practical reason for the Xenon headlights too: they improve nighttime visibility dramatically. And while you complain of them being "searingly bright" they actually cast less light directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic. The light they cast is far more diffuse than standard headlights.

As for thicker pillars, they aren't just there to accommodate more airbags. They are there to strengthen to the safety cage around the passenger compartment; particularly to prevent the roof from collapsing in a rollover.

Automatic climate control is simply a comfort feature that more and more customers are asking for on their cars. There is also some safety benefit to automatic climate control: you "set it and forget it" instead of taking your attention away to keep fine-tuning the settings. It's also not particuarly new: I have automatic climate control on my 1989 Ford Taurus.
I understand the point about the brakes, but there are more ways to make brakes more powerfull than making the rotors larger... Making bigger rotors is just a cheaper or simpler way of doing it. Many new vehicles with larger brakes still have crappy single-piston brake calipers. By adding more pistons they would greatly increase braking force to, with an added benefit of more even brake pad wearing. I've driven many older 4000lb rear-drive cars and their stock brakes worked well enough, even though they had to fit behind 15" wheels. I understand lower profile tires can make more responsive handling, but for some ordinary vehicles they only need a minimum level of responsiveness. I think it's nice when "regular" vehicles just float over what would otherwise be jarring bumps.

The brighter the headlights get, when your eyes adjust to it, the less night-vision you have in your blind spots, or looking backwards. It takes a long time for eyes to fully adjust to dark conditions. Also as either a pedestrian or even while driving myself, when near places like intersections with crowned roads, the newer BMW's feel like they're trying to make my eyes bleed.
*I do not know exactly what "Xenon lights" are, I just know I don't like most "projector beam lights."

For a thicker safety cage it'd be worth it. I just dislike how many new vehicles like newer minivans have side-windows towards the rear the driver can't use, since the window pillars are like 6-10" thick.

I like the old hot/cold knobs for the same reason; I want to be able to pick the fan speed and the temp of the air coming out of the ducts. The air-duct temperature for me is usually more important than the overall cab temp. With older cars with their knobs you could learn to feel with your fingers where it is set so you don't have to look. With new digital controls there is no feel and you have to take your eyes off the road to adjust. (hopefully when you are stopped)

*Though I generally did not agree the previous, I do appreciate everyone's input and participation on my thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,523,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I understand the point about the brakes, but there are more ways to make brakes more powerfull than making the rotors larger... Making bigger rotors is just a cheaper or simpler way of doing it.
Notwithstanding your points about the drawbacks of single-pot versus multi-pot brakes, increasing the rotor and pad size is by far the most effective way to improve braking force. The main benefit of multi-pot calipers is better heat dissipation for more fade resistance. That's great for track day; not necessarily a huge benefit for workaday driving.
Quote:
The brighter the headlights get, when your eyes adjust to it, the less night-vision you have in your blind spots, or looking backwards. It takes a long time for eyes to fully adjust to dark conditions. Also as either a pedestrian or even while driving myself, when near places like intersections with crowned roads, the newer BMW's feel like they're trying to make my eyes bleed.
*I do not know exactly what "Xenon lights" are, I just know I don't like most "projector beam lights."
The risk of reduced blind-spot/reverse vision is minimal compared to the benefits of being able to better see what's actually in front of you, since that's 95% of your concern when you're driving. The risk is also substantially offset by the fact that any time people "need" night vision, people around them should have their lights on, so you should be able to see them in front of or beside you regardless. Xenon lights are the blue-ish lights showing up on more and more cars. And while the light is brighter in the sense that it has a higher Kelvin rating, they actually cause less glare to oncoming drivers because they are more diffuse.

Quote:
I like the old hot/cold knobs for the same reason; I want to be able to pick the fan speed and the temp of the air coming out of the ducts. The air-duct temperature for me is usually more important than the overall cab temp. With older cars with their knobs you could learn to feel with your fingers where it is set so you don't have to look. With new digital controls there is no feel and you have to take your eyes off the road to adjust. (hopefully when you are stopped)
I haven't driven a lot of brand-new cars yet, but I've never owned a car or been in one with an auto climate control that did not have a manual override.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:56 AM

843 posts, read 2,755,576 times
I like factory window tinting. I find it is much more effective at reducing cabin temperatures in the sun than aftermarket window film is.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,248,559 times
On a 'daily driver' type of car; wheels above 16" are silly IMHO.

Trucks I am OK up to 17 inchers.

The 18"+ rims are dumb IMHO.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I like factory window tinting. I find it is much more effective at reducing cabin temperatures in the sun than aftermarket window film is.
I know they are good for that, but I live in what I consider a cold climate. I turn my car heat on when it's 74 F or lower, so that's like 300 days a year. I love the feeling of a sun-warmed car... I usually appreciate a car temp below 95 F, but other than that, no. I like driving while very warm.

However, the main reason I dislike window tinting is all about night driving. If you've never driven a car at night with no window tinting you don't know what kind of comfort your eyes are missing. It feels no different that not riding in a car at all, but the visibility is as if you are standing outside, not in a car at all, since clean glass with no tint is near-insivible.

If somehow someone could invent electronic adjustable tint I would love it. Sounds pretty futuristic or far fetched to me, but that'd be pretty sweet. Even photo-sensetive tint would be nice, even if you have no manual control over the amount of tint. There are times when I do appreciate tint, but other times when I want none at all.

Some cold sunny days I'd rather have an extremely bright cabin, just wearing good sunglasses is all I need to be comfortable then plus if it's say 35 F outside but bright sun, it might heat my car up to 70 F naturally.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
On a 'daily driver' type of car; wheels above 16" are silly IMHO.

Trucks I am OK up to 17 inchers.

The 18"+ rims are dumb IMHO.
I agree with you for what looks good for styling...

I just don't like how any tire of a specific overall size often costs 50% more, every time you go up 1 inch in rim size.

(ie. 27 inches tall, 9 inches wide costs $80 on a 15" rim, $120 on a 16" rim, $170 on a 17" rim, $240 on 18" rim... and $350 on a 20" rim... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive