Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,500,199 times

Advertisements

IMO the race should never have left darlington.

Track prez: Southern 500 event to return to Darlington for '09 - Sprint Cup, NASCAR - CBSSports.com RaceCenter, Schedules, News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,288,166 times
Great news. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,356,923 times
From what I'm reading the only thing that is coming back is the "name". The old tradition is that it was on Labor Day weekend but now it will be on Mother's Day weekend and raced at night. They use to have two races at Darlington but they took the race on Labor Day, Southern 500 and gave it to CA. So they will still only have one race at Darlington but the name will be changed back to Southern 500 and it will be on Mothers Day..

Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,500,199 times
This is true cynwldkat, only the name will return for the 09 race. I'm hoping this is a step in the right direction to get the race back at Darlington to stay. Brian France thought moving the race to Fontana with the larger fan base and more seating would be a gold mine, but it didn't quite pan out that way. I would like to see the Southern 500 moved back to its roots at Darlington.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,356,923 times
I moved from CA a couple of years ago, had lived there my entire life. CA really does not have a big fan base but it does have the sponsers there! I knew very few people there that were interested in car racing. It is growing there but it's nothing like it is here in the South. Once again, it's NASCAR chasing the money!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,556,290 times
Darlington's a great track and .............NO RESTRICTOR PLATES!

Old 09-28-2008, 11:02 PM

21 posts, read 53,057 times
One of the things that I hate most about Nascar is what they did to Darlington , Rockingham, and North Wilksboro.It stinks and Nascar should realize that premium racing is what made it such a well loved series.Some of the best races ever have occurred at Darlington. The best race of this decade was the finish between Craven and Busch in the spring race a few years ago.Darlington is a drivers track as well , the track eats tires like sandpaper and it takes a drivers best skills to run fast and protect his tires.The track lends it self to crossover passes especially in turn 3 , and the tire wire factor insures passing and that the field stays in transition.Contrasted to California , or Kansas those tracks are wide , and frankly boring , they are cookie cutter tracks.I am all for expansion and new markets I would like to see NYC have a race for example , but it could have been managed better. They could have kept a half dozen tracks with two fixed races a year, and rotated some with the others.In other words once every 5 years Darlington would have only one race and not two , and they could have at least kept Rockingham with a date as well.If they keep building onto these snoozer tracks simply being in big markets will not be enough. The actual races is what matters most and they should be at the best tracks.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM

139 posts, read 435,672 times
WH00 H00, yes the Southern 500 should have never left Darlington. Two other tracks I miss, are Rockingham, and North Wilksboro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greginsc
The best race of this decade was the finish between Craven and Busch in the spring race a few years ago.
That was in the 2004 Southern 500 Darlington Race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing