Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 06:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
In oval dirt track racing, I'd like to see those giant wings removed from the cars. At least have a separate class of wingless cars.

the winged sprint cars are called world of outlaws cars. there is a separate series for non winged sprint cars. the world of outlaws cars are more popular, and oddly enough safer than sprint cars because of teh wing. it stabilizes the cars on the track.

indeed i prefer the WOO cars because you get better racing, IE wheel to wheel, where a bump doesnt send one car flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
As a much younger and in-developmemt racing enthusiast, I want to communicate with the veteran fans and ask what made racing the product unappealing that it is today for you guys

One of the things that bothers me to know is that the lack of manual transmissions is just as noticeable in racing as it is in the civilian world

The other thing that we could probably tackle and overcome is the homologations of today vs those of back then and also bring back in more automakers for more fierce competition

The other thing I can also probably see needing to make a come back in racing for the fans to take it seriously again, proper rivalries, especially in the prototypes and sports cars

What about you guys?

what i would like to see is racing getting back to its roots. that means basically a run what you brung type of racing, with in the rules of the class of course. and that means no more spec" bodies in any class. they should look like the cars they claim to mimic. real mustang bodies, real camaro bodies, etc.

as for other manufacturers in the sports, i actually want t see more. in nascar for instance i want to see companies like mercedes, nissan, jaguar, kia, hyundai, etc all put cars up to compete. of course i want them to follow a proper set of rules to compete in nascar, no taking engine technology from a variety of manufacturers and combining them all to fit an engine package either.

and this extends to other sanctioning bodies as well. in the NHRA the funny car bodies are all the same, just some decals that supposedly mimic the real car. same with pro stock, etc. and i want to see more of the lower classes at national events, not just a few of the top classes.

i also want to see more of the bullrings, and mid length tracks, as well s more road courses as opposed to the giant super speedways.

we also need to televise more grassroots racing as well. local and regional events of the SCCA as well as the national run offs.

all this also extends to the other sanctioning bodies around the world. we need less conformity, and more excitement in racing again.

i remember when the IHRA had some interesting rules for their pro stock class. they had the "mountain motor" rule where you could run a normally aspirated engine as big as 600+ci, at a time when the NHRA was limiting engines to 500ci, or you could run a 500ci motor using nitrous. it made things interesting to be sure. and there was a time when you could run a turbo charged V6 limited to 232ci in NHRA pro stock, but when buddy ingersol starting beating everyone they banned the motor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 02:14 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Just watched the Rolex24 highlights.

You know what the difference is between last year's attendance, and this years? NOTHING. COVID had zero effect on attendance. You know why? Because it's a boring PARADE for 24 hours. That's why. Getting people away from their phones is harder than ever, now.

I knew the racing world was in trouble, when NASCAR was aimed primarily at women. Don't know if it still is.

Supercross is exciting. At least there's passing.

F1 is boring. Maybe 2-3 passes for position during the WHOLE YEAR.

MotoGP is pretty good. However, I haven't seen much since Marquez took over for Rossi.

I'm only seeing what's on network TV. I'm not paying for nuffin.'

Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I would like to see passing in Formula 1. It is flat ridiculous how F1 races are won in qualifying 90% of the time. Probably another 5% in the pits. Not so much since all they do is tire changes anymore.

I would like to see NASCAR have to use real cars. No more 4 banger Camries, etc.

My single biggest complaint with racing is the idiot announcers. They talk over the engine sounds 99% of the time. They give you a lap or 2 in car, and that is about it. WTF is the good of watching an auto race and you can't hear the bloody motor sounds????? They talk incessantly about the most idiotic, boring, and obvious things. Shut the hell up.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:59 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
The biggest problem with NASCAR are the fans that whine and cry about EVERYTHING.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:21 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You didn't clarify what type of racing.. NASCAR still uses manual transmissions. Regarding NASCAR, I believe it is a case of no longer " Dancing with the one that brung ya". They worked so hard at leaving their southern regional roots, their almost desperate attempt to diversify, bringing in Toyota, making the likes of Danica Patrick a superstar of NASCAR, without ever winning a race... long gone were the Pettys, Earnhardts, Sterling Marlins, Kenny Schraders replaced by a bunch of young baby face metro sexuals with the same haircut. In short their political correctness to appel to the masses. Now they race to half empty grandstands.
That's because she was pretty. Wouldn't have been so popular if she wasn't. It's like the way they elevated Anna Kournikova in tennis. She never won anything important either but reporters practically ran past the serious competitors to interview her.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:10 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
The biggest problem with NASCAR are the fans that whine and cry about EVERYTHING.
You must only follow one sport.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:31 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
You must only follow one sport.
Nope, NASCAR fans are just the worst when it comes to crying about everything.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:00 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's because she was pretty. Wouldn't have been so popular if she wasn't. It's like the way they elevated Anna Kournikova in tennis. She never won anything important either but reporters practically ran past the serious competitors to interview her.
Wow! Really no comparison between Anna Kournikova and Danica Patrick or their status in their given sport.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:29 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
i am a brand loyal race fan ,, i will watch anything from lawn mower racing to full on NHRA events as long as a Blue Oval machine is competitive .some of you will know what a Blue Oval is .. some of you wont know what my name means ... HA !

Old 02-12-2021, 03:21 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
i am a brand loyal race fan ,, i will watch anything from lawn mower racing to full on NHRA events as long as a Blue Oval machine is competitive .some of you will know what a Blue Oval is .. some of you wont know what my name means ... HA !
I know EXACTLY what you refer to.

Little known fact...When the "Blue Oval" made that car, they made it with performance/handling as a focus. SCCA first put the Pinto with slower/ill handling cars. By the end of the first year, the Pinto had moved up in class, to the Triumph Spitfire/MGB-GT class. Yes, it was that fast. The 2000cc engine with a 4 speed surprisingly quick. Something like the Miata, only quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing