Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 07:07 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,844,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah I missed that. I figure Larson will be running up front early and often and the sponsership issue will resolve itself. He's hugged the cactus, time to move on.
I've always believed that. If Kyle is does as excepted, the sponsorship thing will be resolved. He may not get McD's back or something like that at first, but smaller sponsors will be willing to take a chance.

I bet Cincinnati Inc. is already benefiting from taking a chance with Kyle. Other than a couple of sponsorships of the 88 last year and one win, few knew who Cincinnati Inc was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 08:29 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,834,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I've always believed that. If Kyle is does as excepted, the sponsorship thing will be resolved. He may not get McD's back or something like that at first, but smaller sponsors will be willing to take a chance.

I bet Cincinnati Inc. is already benefiting from taking a chance with Kyle. Other than a couple of sponsorships of the 88 last year and one win, few knew who Cincinnati Inc was?
I believe you are correct ...

Old 02-04-2021, 11:33 AM

17,616 posts, read 15,305,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Now.. Just to reign this in a bit.. EVERY sponsor that has been announced so far has an existing relationship with Rick Hendrick.

These aren't people who came to Hendrick and said "We want to sponsor Kyle Larson"

These are existing relationships that Hendrick had, and I suspect that some wheeling and dealing was done to put them on that car as a primary.

I've mentioned before.. it would not surprise me for his first sponsors to be associates that Hendrick already had, because if there was backlash.. he'd allow them to say "We pay for sponsorship with Hendrick, we didn't choose the car it would go on".. Basically, he'd take the heat, if there was any.

And that's a very smart move. I'd bet NationGuard and the rest got a pretty good deal on being a primary. I highly doubt they paid the rate that would be charged on the 48 or the 24 or the 9. So it's a win for them, especially if Rick will take any fallout. Rick gets a win because he shows a car sponsored, and hopefully, that there's no backlash towards the sponsors.

Plus, the sponsors.. Really aren't consumer companies. These are not a McDonalds, or a Walmart or a KFC or something that people will go out and boycott. A car warranty company, a machine tool die manufacturer and a company that makes haulers (Yes, Freightliner does more than that) are not exactly companies that John Q Public deals with.

but.. again.. Rick's a smart guy.. Right kind of companies. don't go towards the ones that could have vitriol directed to them and affect them. Cessna would be a good one. if I say I'm boycotting Cessna, who gives a rats ass? There's probably 100k people in the US who could boycott Cessna in the first place. (Ok, I'm making that number up. I have no idea how many private pilots own Cessnas in the US)

One leads to two, two leads to three.. That's the mindset to have here. Larson could be considered 'back' when he gets a consumer based sponsor.. One that the general public could organize a boycott against and affect them. Once a company like that is willing to take the risk.. Then I'd consider things over.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:38 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,708,818 times
Spot on post Labonte.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Now.. Just to reign this in a bit.. EVERY sponsor that has been announced so far has an existing relationship with Rick Hendrick.

These aren't people who came to Hendrick and said "We want to sponsor Kyle Larson"

These are existing relationships that Hendrick had, and I suspect that some wheeling and dealing was done to put them on that car as a primary.

I've mentioned before.. it would not surprise me for his first sponsors to be associates that Hendrick already had, because if there was backlash.. he'd allow them to say "We pay for sponsorship with Hendrick, we didn't choose the car it would go on".. Basically, he'd take the heat, if there was any.

And that's a very smart move. I'd bet NationGuard and the rest got a pretty good deal on being a primary. I highly doubt they paid the rate that would be charged on the 48 or the 24 or the 9. So it's a win for them, especially if Rick will take any fallout. Rick gets a win because he shows a car sponsored, and hopefully, that there's no backlash towards the sponsors.

Plus, the sponsors.. Really aren't consumer companies. These are not a McDonalds, or a Walmart or a KFC or something that people will go out and boycott. A car warranty company, a machine tool die manufacturer and a company that makes haulers (Yes, Freightliner does more than that) are not exactly companies that John Q Public deals with.

but.. again.. Rick's a smart guy.. Right kind of companies. don't go towards the ones that could have vitriol directed to them and affect them. Cessna would be a good one. if I say I'm boycotting Cessna, who gives a rats ass? There's probably 100k people in the US who could boycott Cessna in the first place. (Ok, I'm making that number up. I have no idea how many private pilots own Cessnas in the US)

One leads to two, two leads to three.. That's the mindset to have here. Larson could be considered 'back' when he gets a consumer based sponsor.. One that the general public could organize a boycott against and affect them. Once a company like that is willing to take the risk.. Then I'd consider things over.
Thats an interesting criteria Labonte... I will stick to, running up front and winning solves everything. Except of course for those who want to keep making an issue out of a 20 something kid said a bad word. I can imagine a scenario where Larson is running very well and another driver that nascar desperately wants to be the SuperStar isnt, fans of the latter would continue to raise a fuss about the former. As you said Hendrick is a smart guy, for all we know he may have sponsers that are in the "wait and see" hopper.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Thats an interesting criteria Labonte... I will stick to, running up front and winning solves everything. Except of course for those who want to keep making an issue out of a 20 something kid said a bad word. I can imagine a scenario where Larson is running very well and another driver that nascar desperately wants to be the SuperStar isnt, fans of the latter would continue to raise a fuss about the former. As you said Hendrick is a smart guy, for all we know he may have sponsers that are in the "wait and see" hopper.

You think.. M&M's will be sponsoring him anytime soon?

McDonalds? Pizza Hut? Afro-Sheen? Sorry, had to slip that one in there.

everything is proceeding right now.. about as well as could be expected. Honestly, he's about a year ahead of where I thought he would be. I thought he'd be out this year as well. Perhaps a matter of that his issue happened early in the season last year.

Now, I wasn't dead on right about how things would go.. I thought the #41 was where he'd wind up.. Again, owner who is also the sponsor.. Sponsor who is not a consumer level company.

We all know that Hendrickcars.com will be on the #5 this year. Now.. that.. *IS* a consumer company. An organized boycott against Hendrick dealerships could be.. bad.

But, that's another good thing. Hendrick is putting his money where his mouth is. If there's backlash, it's gonna come against him. Which.. Down the road will allow a better selling of Larson to other consumer based companies. Hell.. They ought to be talking to Zest, because, sooner or later, he's going to come out of this clean.. So long as there are no more incidents.

I suspect there'll be shots of him talking to Bubba a few times on broadcasts this year.

Hendrick has all his PR people working on it.. Probably working harder than they've ever had to in the past. I mean.. How hard was their job when it was Junior, Johnson, Gordon and Martin? Could you FIND a more uncontroversial foursome?

I suspect Larson will be mostly sponsored next year.. I just.. Don't think he's getting Budweiser or Tide or something like that for quite some time.

Now, I called earlier that his sponsors this year would be along the lines of Lucas Oil or State Water Heaters or something.. Freightliner I'd certainly rank higher than that. So.. if I haven't said it already.. I am mildly surprised at where he sits now. I didn't think he'd be at this point for another 6 months at a minimum.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You think.. M&M's will be sponsoring him anytime soon?

McDonalds? Pizza Hut? Afro-Sheen? Sorry, had to slip that one in there.

everything is proceeding right now.. about as well as could be expected. Honestly, he's about a year ahead of where I thought he would be. I thought he'd be out this year as well. Perhaps a matter of that his issue happened early in the season last year.

Now, I wasn't dead on right about how things would go.. I thought the #41 was where he'd wind up.. Again, owner who is also the sponsor.. Sponsor who is not a consumer level company.

We all know that Hendrickcars.com will be on the #5 this year. Now.. that.. *IS* a consumer company. An organized boycott against Hendrick dealerships could be.. bad.

But, that's another good thing. Hendrick is putting his money where his mouth is. If there's backlash, it's gonna come against him. Which.. Down the road will allow a better selling of Larson to other consumer based companies. Hell.. They ought to be talking to Zest, because, sooner or later, he's going to come out of this clean.. So long as there are no more incidents.

I suspect there'll be shots of him talking to Bubba a few times on broadcasts this year.

Hendrick has all his PR people working on it.. Probably working harder than they've ever had to in the past. I mean.. How hard was their job when it was Junior, Johnson, Gordon and Martin? Could you FIND a more uncontroversial foursome?

I suspect Larson will be mostly sponsored next year.. I just.. Don't think he's getting Budweiser or Tide or something like that for quite some time.

Now, I called earlier that his sponsors this year would be along the lines of Lucas Oil or State Water Heaters or something.. Freightliner I'd certainly rank higher than that. So.. if I haven't said it already.. I am mildly surprised at where he sits now. I didn't think he'd be at this point for another 6 months at a minimum.
Well , I definately agree he will probably NEVER get a Mcdonalds , Coca Cola etc.. deal, and right , wrong or indifferent that is largely due to the state of large corporations today... I guess at the end of the day , I just dont see it as (for lack of a better term) that big of a lasting issue. I mean we're not talking about being arrested for beating his wife or some other heinous crime... he said a word ! A word that a lot of people use. Having said that , I understand in todays culture, the nature of corporate sponsers and all the rest, but I dont see any real threat of some kind of significant boycott (not that they work anyhow) unless drummed up by those in NASCAR itself. I get what you are saying, and do agree corps might shy away not necessarily because of threat of boycott, but just to show their woke bona fides. I also believe we will here the same sentimate from drivers , owners etc... like Tony Stewart, Harvick and that will go along way to putting the whole thing to rest. I will go on record right here on this post, with my prediction. He runs very well this season, well enough to compete deep in the chase. The broadcasters will have their obligatory comments ad-nauseum about his indiscretion and sitting out most of last season. Larson will be gracious, humble and handle it all with class and before the end of the season Hendrick will have lined up full sponsership for him moving forward... Consumer based or not he will be back!

Old 02-05-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Well , I definately agree he will probably NEVER get a Mcdonalds , Coca Cola etc.. deal, and right , wrong or indifferent that is largely due to the state of large corporations today... I guess at the end of the day , I just dont see it as (for lack of a better term) that big of a lasting issue. I mean we're not talking about being arrested for beating his wife or some other heinous crime... he said a word ! A word that a lot of people use. Having said that , I understand in todays culture, the nature of corporate sponsers and all the rest, but I dont see any real threat of some kind of significant boycott (not that they work anyhow) unless drummed up by those in NASCAR itself. I get what you are saying, and do agree corps might shy away not necessarily because of threat of boycott, but just to show their woke bona fides. I also believe we will here the same sentimate from drivers , owners etc... like Tony Stewart, Harvick and that will go along way to putting the whole thing to rest. I will go on record right here on this post, with my prediction. He runs very well this season, well enough to compete deep in the chase. The broadcasters will have their obligatory comments ad-nauseum about his indiscretion and sitting out most of last season. Larson will be gracious, humble and handle it all with class and before the end of the season Hendrick will have lined up full sponsership for him moving forward... Consumer based or not he will be back!

He'd be better off if he did beat his wife. This was worse. From a PR standpoint, of course.

Kurt Busch only got a 3 week suspension. Obviously, not a good comparison because.. that b**** was lyin!

Speaking of.. She in jail yet? I know she was convicted.. Driscoll? Oh crap. They reversed her conviction?

Ugh.. Sorry.. Sidetracked there, but it popped into my head.

Take being caught with a hooker.. A number of people (not in NASCAR) have recovered from that. Slapping your wife around.. He'd have some serious problems in the garage.. But, it'd have probably blown over in the public eye by now. Drugs? Hell, Almendinger made it back.. Randy LaJoie didn't have horrendous effects from it. Shane Hmiel if he hadn't damn near killed himself likely would have been reinstated. The only reason Brian France was forced out was because of how bad he was at his job. And.. When you're the top dog setting the policy, well, you're gonna be held to a higher standard. Mayfield would have been back driving if he had just fessed up.

Short of some form of sex assault.. This was as bad as it could get.

Now, within the class of what he said.. It was on the lower end.. I mean.. At least he didn't pull a Hulk Hogan. Or spout out a "Kill all N's" or something like that. but that's not an area you want to find yourself in whatsoever. Hogan's stuff was near Marge Schott level. I'm still somewhat surprised he made it back.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:58 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,708,818 times
Don't forget, Kyle Larson, while an incredible sprint car driver, has won 6 races in 7+ years. He's a really good top ten guy, but they take pictures in the winner's circle.

And yes, he'll be in Hendrick equipment, but that doesn't always play out. Remember how many championships Jr was going to win in the 88?

Old 02-08-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Don't forget, Kyle Larson, while an incredible sprint car driver, has won 6 races in 7+ years. He's a really good top ten guy, but they take pictures in the winner's circle.

And yes, he'll be in Hendrick equipment, but that doesn't always play out. Remember how many championships Jr was going to win in the 88?

CGR is.. let's be honest.. An upper mid pack team. They might jump up and win one race a year or so.. That's their sky at the moment.

Larson did elevate that program. As did Kurt Busch. Credit where it's due.

But, they're just not a top tier program. Hendrick is. Even though they had a few down years, they seem to be back on the upswing. Now.. You never know. Joey Logano won 2 races (one a rain shortened) in his 5 years at Gibbs. In the 20 car, which was vacated by Stewart.

Suddenly, he goes to Penske and in 8 years has 24 wins.

You never know how things will mesh together. Look at Kahne.. He couldn't really do much at Hendrick... Martin had an incredible first year then 2 rather blah years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing