Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 12:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I respect his talent.. No question about that. But, kinda like Kurt and Kyle Busch and some others.. Just something about them that makes it kinda hard to like them sometimes.

Larson is lucky that he's driven for owners that allow him to race elsewhere. JGR is pretty famous for restricting what their drivers can do outside of the organization. That no doubt played a small part in Stewart leaving. Obviously, there were bigger reasons, such as team ownership, that caused him to move on, but I'm sure that was a small piece of it.

I think they tried to get Kyle out of Xfinity and Trucks when he had the accident at Daytona. They only succeeded in keeping him out of the plate races.

Is he a Gordon/Johnson/Stewart/Busch level driver? He's getting there. No question. I will caution that it's pretty common for someone to go to a new team and tear it up only to have a massive falloff the next year. Look at Kyle at JGR.. Mark Martin at hendrick..
But, kinda like Kurt and Kyle Busch and some others.. Just something about them that makes it kinda hard to like them sometimes. I find that interesting Labonte... for me its not a mystery at all what makes/made the Busch brothers unlikable, both had very large attitude problems , probably something to do with how they were raised, you, I'm sure are just as familiar with their antics through the years than I. Kyle was the epitome of a sore loser... remember the time he left the race when he was driving for Hendrick and Jr got in his car and finished it. Kurt's attitude obviously cost him several very good rides. I would throw Hamlin and Wallace in there with them. Side note; It seems that when a driver goes to Gibbs they develop that attitude when they may not have had previously, Truex, Carl Edwards, even The amiable Matt Kenseth seemed to develop a bit of an attitude when he got there.... maybe its just me. But I digress. I dont really see any of that with Kyle Larson... hes certainly confident but I wouldnt say cocky, he seems to own up to his screw ups. I get the vibe that he is fairly humble.
Is he a Gordon/Johnson/Stewart/Busch level driver? He's getting there. No question. I will caution that it's pretty common for someone to go to a new team and tear it up only to have a massive falloff the next year. Look at Kyle at JGR.. Mark Martin at hendrick
Good points but one could argue Kyle Busch has been tearing it up pretty consistently for some years now. Martin was probably lightning in the bottle that year and said himself he should of quit after that season.
We will see, I just thought Tonys take on him spoke volumes. To say that he was pissed at Ford for not letting him hire Kyle is probably a gross understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 05:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
HELL YEAH!! It was a year and half ago that posted this thread. I had to read through all the responses on this post and remember all the doubters and naysayers.
What A feat this kid/team achieved! We probably just saw the first of probably multiple Championships by this kid.
And to all those Sponsors that wouldn't take a chance … The price just went WAY UP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing