Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:43 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Is ESPN really this unprepared to cover F-1? This is SAD!
They just took "On the Grid" off the grid. Can they get things sorted out before race time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 02:49 AM

121 posts, read 89,264 times
Really interesting race. Hamilton will feel he was robbed or at least unlucky, but Vettel was close enough, fast enough and good enough to prevail. Red Bull not as quick as they hoped and Alonso back to being competitive. Looks good for the season.

But what is going on at Haas, wheel nuts on both cars!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 AM

5,467 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Most of the finishing order was not determined by driver skill, but by grid spot penalties, unusual events, serendipity, and the near impossibility of passing, even by Bottas who, with the far superior car, couldn't pass back-markers.

Terrible TV presentation by ESPN.

Liberty Media wants to make F1 a big thing in the United States and gain a lot of young fans. Good luck with that. How could any young, new potential fan make sense of what is going on?

Last edited by karlsch; 03-25-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
I'm willing to give Liberty/Sky/ESPN a little slack on the first go-around, but that wasn't handled well. At least the race was aired on the channel listed at the time listed. Really annoying the whatever happens on commercial breaks doesn't get recapped, though.

The front wings this season are ridiculous.

Of course, ESPN will never prioritize F1 over a ball-related sport and I think this will be a theme for the season.

And, hey, the grid kids were cute.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-25-2018, 11:38 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
I so miss Hobbs, Matchett, and Varsha, I doubt there's aver been a better broadcast team in any form of racing. I'm not optimistic that F1 will keep me interested much longer.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Liberty is planning their own feed, so the use of the Sky feed is temporary - not sure if that is true for all the feeds in a weekend, like all practices, qualifying as well as the race. Not sure if the graphic on the left side of the screen during qualifying and the race is fed directly from Race Control or if it is Sky's graphic, but it lacks a bunch of useful info - who is on what tire, how many pit stops, what the delta is. Of course, in Australia, most everyone was one the same tire and had the same number of pit stops, so that probably wasn't as useful as it is at other races.

Martin Brundle is fine (although I dislike his "pit walk" - or what I saw of it, thanks to ESPN truncated showing - as much as I disliked Will Buxton's). REALLY dislike Croft, although he wasn't quite as bad during the race as he was during qualifying. I'd really like someone from the engineering side of things commenting as well. DiResta was fine but not used nearly enough and he is sort of a "newer" Brundle, commenting more from a driver's perspective.

Buxton is on a weekend preview show that Liberty Media puts up on their Youtube page

I miss Hobbs and Matchett as well. Liked Varsha far more than Leigh Diffey.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 PM

My fear is Liberty will seek to make F1 a 'happening', it won't surprise me if we start seeing more time given to what 'celebrities' are in the paddock than to what the teams are up to. If they ever take points away from a driver earned on the race track for something they said as NASCAR has done, that will be the end of my F1 interest.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,735,374 times
Mercedes is blaming a software glitch for Hamilton's loss. My view was that Hamilton was rleatively harder on his tires than Vetel, while not gaining a large advantage before the first pit stop. Vetel made the most of it and sojourned on for another number of laps before he pitted, making up the lead and coming out in front of Hamilton...and staying there. Hamilton did get close, but tire ware (or his own furstration at not being able to get close enough to Vetel to engage him) finally beat him in the last 4-5 laps, and he slowed. This isn't the first time it's happened.

The wheel lug mystery, what a tragedy! Without this, Magnusen and Grosjean would have figured to finish 4 and 5 (in any order). Look at the problems Red Bull had overtaking both of them.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Mercedes is blaming a software glitch for Hamilton's loss. My view was that Hamilton was rleatively harder on his tires than Vetel, while not gaining a large advantage before the first pit stop. Vetel made the most of it and sojourned on for another number of laps before he pitted, making up the lead and coming out in front of Hamilton...and staying there. Hamilton did get close, but tire ware (or his own furstration at not being able to get close enough to Vetel to engage him) finally beat him in the last 4-5 laps, and he slowed. This isn't the first time it's happened.

The wheel lug mystery, what a tragedy! Without this, Magnusen and Grosjean would have figured to finish 4 and 5 (in any order). Look at the problems Red Bull had overtaking both of them.

For me, overtaking is an issue they've failed to address for far too long other than instituting the gimmick of DRS. Looking at the complexity of today's front wings OI have to wonder how much they contribute to the dirty air stymieing following cars? IMO they need to take a hard look at changing the aero rules so dirty air is not such a hindrance to overtaking.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:13 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,824 times
Well that was frustrating. I was thrilled for Haas then suddenly I see them both out of the race and have to figure out what's going on because of poor coverage from ESPN. With the amount of flack they're getting on social media though, I'm hoping they will change it. I've even seen some people mention that watching coverage on Spanish stations was better than what had been offered from ESPN. Can't blame SkySports, they're not broadcasting to tailor to the US audience.

Also - the length of the commercials. I felt like they were much longer than what we've seen in years past.

Overall though I'm excited for the season. First, Hamilton lost. Second, and more importantly, Haas looks extremely promising. If they can keep the Red Bulls behind them again that will be incredible.

We've started watching Formula E though because it's got both Matchett and Varsha. All they need is Hobbs and we've got the original team back in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing