Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 02:23 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,220,293 times

Advertisements

Year Replies Views
2016 118 5169
2015 180 10875
2014 228 15661
2013 583 23285

Has the complicated “power unit” formula with countless rules and regulations and development restrictions made it boring, or is something else at play.

TV viewership is also down.

I know for the first time I usually no longer sit in front of the TV and watch the whole race. I just leave it on within earshot while I do something else and watch when something exciting happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 06:29 PM

10,655 posts, read 16,077,277 times
It needs to have a American driver to become popular in the USA.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,865,760 times
Well, CD has a strong US bias (in that most posters are from the US somewhere) and I suspect this particular subgroup might be too small to be a valid marker for much of anything. I have followed F1 since about the 70s/80s, back when it was just shown in clips as part of a multi-sport show (Wide World of Sports). I stopped watching during the bulk of the Schumacher years because I was bored and because I got rid of cable.

In general, I don't think the single team or car domination (Schumacher, Red Bull, Mercedes) does the sport much of a favor as far as viewers.

As far as attracting new US viewers - without more US races (which are of marginal benefit to F1), I don't think you are ever going to generate a lot of interest in a sport that has to be watched via recording (unless you are in to getting up at 3am to watch live).

Open wheel isn't as popular in the US as it once was (something I think Tony George was directly responsible for) and sports car series like IMSA, TransAm starting dying in the 80s and never came back. NASCAR has marginally survived, but I believe they are hurting, as far as live attendance and TV revenue.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,638,841 times
Actually NBCSN is reporting stronger ratings, so I'd chalk it up to coincidence (maybe overall CD traffic is declining?)

Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 PM

154 posts, read 133,029 times
Formula 1 had to degenerate to the point of satisfying a bunch of blood thirsty savages who couldn't appreciate a motor sport where driver skill was more important than HP. Hence the latest formula 1 that emphasizes thrills over skill, the crowd wants to see wrecks and blood, put your foot down and turn left, no skill involved, just guts. .

Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,428,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardoXV View Post
Formula 1 had to degenerate to the point of satisfying a bunch of blood thirsty savages who couldn't appreciate a motor sport where driver skill was more important than HP. Hence the latest formula 1 that emphasizes thrills over skill, the crowd wants to see wrecks and blood, put your foot down and turn left, no skill involved, just guts. .
^^^ BS,
Race fans want competition, cars coming from behind late in the race to put on a show. This happens in almost every NASCAR race.
I saw it one time this past season in F1. I don't remember the driver but he was coming from behind and passing cars every lap. It was one of the most exciting races I ever watched.
Much better than watching the two front row starters exchange the lead for 1.5 hrs.

This equates to the same reason Americans prefer football over soccer. It's just more exciting.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:24 PM

10,655 posts, read 16,077,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I saw it one time this past season in F1. I don't remember the driver but he was coming from behind and passing cars every lap. It was one of the most exciting races I ever watched.
18-year old Max Verstappen from the Netherlands driving for Red Bull Racing Team, the race was in Brazil it was raining the entire race and he went from 16 to 3 in the last 15 laps.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 AM

115 posts, read 98,644 times
I have a friend who's a fan of F1 racing. He's in South Africa these days and texted me about how he can watch the grand prix in SA. Can someone tell me what advice should I give him? I think he's not on cable TV.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deankendrick View Post
I have a friend who's a fan of F1 racing. He's in South Africa these days and texted me about how he can watch the grand prix in SA. Can someone tell me what advice should I give him? I think he's not on cable TV.

The following is listed as the F1 airer in South Africa, not sure if it's cable, dish. streaming or?

https://www.dstv.com/

Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 AM

115 posts, read 98,644 times
I found SuperSport through DSTV but it's a dish TV, so it says. I Googled for streaming channels and came up with this blog https://www.purevpn.com/blog/formula-1-live-streaming/. I am thinking of referring him this to stream from BBC Sports UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing