Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,668,155 times

Advertisements

For me, there has to be a rooting interest. Someone to root for and follow throughout the race. See their lap times, how far behind the leader they are.. Are they gaining, or falling further behind.. are they passing cars or getting passed? What's the pit strategy.. 2 tires or 4... ?

It's always crunch time when your driver goes in the pits because you know one missed lug nut can ruin a day or put them far behind. There are anxious moments for race fans during a race similar to a 3-2 pitch with 2 outs in baseball or a 4th and goal in football and not just during a pit stop. A big crash can cause fans to hold their breath until they see their driver come out of the melee unharmed... nothings worse then seeing your driver and his car mangled up against the wall... it's just like a Pick 6 in football, only worse.. the game is over for them.. and I have been known to turn the TV off after such an event.. only to turn it back on in about 30 minutes to see who wins the race..

Your NOT just watching cars go in circles.. your watching your driver and his car get better or worse.. its really no different than any other sport once you have someone to cheer for.. If your not a big fan and you stumble onto a race on TV, if you don't have someone to root for, your likely not gonna stay long. Heck, I love basketball but hardly ever watch it on TV.. I love to play it but don't have a favorite team any more so I have little interest in watching on TV...

If you read up on the drivers a little and find someone to root for.. even if just the sponsor on the hood, watching a race will be 10% more fun.. My little girl likes M&Ms so you know who she is rooting for... My son likes JJ simply because he was the Champion when I took him to his first race.. but now he has that 48 Lowes to root for and it makes the race much more enjoyable for him to watch...

Once you have a driver to root for, watching a race can be very exciting.. of course, you could double dip and root for one driver and against another.. in fact, that's fairly common in all sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
While the feat of horsepower in drag racing is impressive I don't find it that appealing. When was the last time the complexion of a drag race was altered because of fuel mileage?
well not fuel economy(whats that in top fuel though? they use 22 gallons of fuel per 1/4 mile run, which means they get 88 gallons per mile) . but traction, a hanging intake valve, a blow over, and tire shake have changed the complexion of a drag race. imagine leaving the line ahead of your competitor, only to lose traction, but you pedal the car, regain traction, but because your competitor had some tire shake, and then an intake valve hang open and pop the blow panels, you still ended up winning the race, all in just under four seconds.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,838,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Please, i don't mean to bash on the sport or anything. I was never really exposed to NASCAR. Alot of people do bash on it and say it is a boring sport where all you do is just watch cars drive circles around a racetrack . I don't really criticize things that i don't know of.
The same reason why mowing the grass to many people is entertaining.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,750,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The same reason why mowing the grass to many people is entertaining.

mowing grass would be very entertaining if the lawn was big and 43 riding lawn mowers were mowing it at 200 mph.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
mowing grass would be very entertaining if the lawn was big and 43 riding lawn mowers were mowing it at 200 mph.
now now, it doesnt have to be at 200mph, 195 will do just fine.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
I enjoy multiple styles of motorsports including stock car, rally car, monster trucks, drag racing, drag boats, tractor pulling, rally car, stadium super truck, motocross and short course truck racing. I like each for different reasons. What I like about NASCAR is it is an non convoluted endurance race that pushes the limits of man and machine and invoke strategy. Like when do you put, when do you try to take position, do you block, do you try to wreck the other driver, etc. Fyi, to me LeMans and Ruled racing is too convoluted with the several classes of cars on the track at the same time. I can barely pay attention to one race on tv out in person, let alone at least two.

Fyi live is the way to become a fan.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM

the nationwide race today is an excellent example of why nascar is fun. tagliani ran out of fuel with two laps to go right at the pit road entrance on the caution flag. he had to start at the back of the pack for pitting while pit road was closed. his team put on slick tires, and gassed him up. tagliani went from the back of the pack to second place in two laps on the road course, and i think if he had a slightly longer track he would have won that race, it was that close.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,668,155 times
I enjoyed both NASCAR races this weekend but was really disappointed in TNT's broadcast on Sunday. Too many times there were pit stops that TNT simply didn't cover. There is no reason a top 10 car should pit during a caution without TNT letting the audience know and that happened several times..

Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I enjoyed both NASCAR races this weekend but was really disappointed in TNT's broadcast on Sunday. Too many times there were pit stops that TNT simply didn't cover. There is no reason a top 10 car should pit during a caution without TNT letting the audience know and that happened several times..
TNT has always flubbed that up in some form or fashion. I remember when they first started broadcasting races they would cut to commercial during a caution. That didn't last long.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
I watched drag racing this weekend as I don't care nany more for on road especially NASCAR on road. Only road racing now days I like is Moto GP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing