Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,600 times

Advertisements

Please, i don't mean to bash on the sport or anything. I was never really exposed to NASCAR. Alot of people do bash on it and say it is a boring sport where all you do is just watch cars drive circles around a racetrack . I don't really criticize things that i don't know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,136 times
I enjoy watching it, it's relaxing and I suppose to me it's more than just watching cars go around in circles. There's some strategy involved like adjustments, how many tires to get or fuel only plus it's interesting to see if certain drivers who have had success at certain tracks can do it again. Things can change like is the car better on short runs or longer which brings about the possibiity a leader can be run down or pull away. Of course restarts and the last laps are the best. It's the color and pageantry of it also.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I think its the fact that there is passing a lot and so much going on from adjusting the car constantly to importance of the team members. You can have the best driver and the best car at start of the race but all the team has to preform during the race itself. Basically reason you have multiple winners and numerous leaders in any race. Its the only racing my wife got hooked on after watching a lot of different racing.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Oval racing is much more interesting in person than on TV. As opposed to road courses which do well in both.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I enjoy watching it, it's relaxing and I suppose to me it's more than just watching cars go around in circles. There's some strategy involved like adjustments, how many tires to get or fuel only plus it's interesting to see if certain drivers who have had success at certain tracks can do it again. Things can change like is the car better on short runs or longer which brings about the possibiity a leader can be run down or pull away. Of course restarts and the last laps are the best. It's the color and pageantry of it also.
well said. the people that bash nascar, are the ones that usually dont really understand all the nuances of the sport. of course a lot of those people also watch because where else can they observe several cars getting into a wreck and not be in the wreck themselves.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Oval racing is much more interesting in person than on TV. As opposed to road courses which do well in both.
I'd have to say oval is much more like TV in watching while on road is wait for them to come into view and if they don't get to scoring board to see what might have happened out of view. On road is much more limited as to what you actually see at race.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
It's the appreciation of speed and brute horsepower in a comparatively primitive chassis. You hold your breath during green flag/restarts wondering if they will make it through the turn. It can be compared to 43 elephants running the Kentucky Derby.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
NASCAR is not only interesting. It is educational, social, skilled, and requires good fitness. It has brought many improvements to the cars on the highway with brakes, safety, gas mileage, etc. What I have written here is just the tip of the iceberg.

Have you ever driven 600 miles in one day in 100 degree temperatures at 200 mph? Sometimes the cars are in good shape but sometimes the driver loses one or two gears and has to use his skill to make up the difference. Sometimes the brakes go. Sometimes they are not sure about whether the tank of gas will hold to the end but know if they go to the pits to get more gas they will certainly lose so they drive with a light foot to preserve gas. The pit crews have to have mechanical, mathematical skills and do them fast.

It is an endurance test and the best crew, not just the driver, wins but he has to be good. When you hear someone fussing all the time about the other drivers or his car; you know he is not much good.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's the appreciation of speed and brute horsepower in a comparatively primitive chassis.
well then, you should be always looking forward to top fuel and funny car racing then. talk about speed, over 300mph in the 1000ft, and brute horsepower, try 10,000. and a chassis that is even more primitive than a nascar chassis.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well then, you should be always looking forward to top fuel and funny car racing then. talk about speed, over 300mph in the 1000ft, and brute horsepower, try 10,000. and a chassis that is even more primitive than a nascar chassis.
While the feat of horsepower in drag racing is impressive I don't find it that appealing. When was the last time the complexion of a drag race was altered because of fuel mileage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing