Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,882,041 times

Advertisements

"No sooner had Austin Dillon captured the pole for Sunday’s Daytona 500 than the Black Helicopter pilots began to circulate. Rather than allowing Dillon and his Richard Childress Racing teammates to bask in the glow of their much-deserved accomplishment, a small but determined band of cuckoo birds chose to shed their aluminum-foil hats long enough to declare the accomplishment too good to be true."

The Godfather's Blog: COMMENTARY: The Sad, Strange Life Of The NASCAR Conspiracy Theorist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
It's been 14 years since a driver has won from the pole (unless you include Jr. who moved up to the first spot after Biffle had to change an engine in 2004).

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,528 times
Fan = fanatic, NASCAR fans really define this. Dale Sr has been dead 13 years its time to move on. RCR owns the number he should do what he wants with it. That's like if Troy Polamalu died and fans thought no Steeler should ever wear number 43. Live in the "is" not the "was." Jimmie Johnson will win the 500 or the championship, or both, the same 12 cars will be competitive in all the races and NASCAR will continue to suck and ratings and attendance will continue to plummet.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Most major league sports retire the "greats" numbers. Babe Ruth was #3 and no Yankee wears that number, no one on the Bulls will wear the #23. In NASCAR most of the great drivers want to see their numbers continue, such as Petty's 43. Earnhardt Sr. once said he wanted the #3 to continue also after he "retired".

I believe most fans (especially Earnhardt fans) would want to see the #3 retired. But it's not up to the fans as we have all well known. There is more emotion with the #3 due to the circumstances of losing Sr. It comes down to the owners of the numbers (and $$$) and if they can put a driver in the car that can understand the significance of what that number means, rather it be #3, #22, #43 or one day the #24 or #48.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Most major league sports retire the "greats" numbers. Babe Ruth was #3 and no Yankee wears that number, no one on the Bulls will wear the #23. In NASCAR most of the great drivers want to see their numbers continue, such as Petty's 43. Earnhardt Sr. once said he wanted the #3 to continue also after he "retired".

I believe most fans (especially Earnhardt fans) would want to see the #3 retired. But it's not up to the fans as we have all well known. There is more emotion with the #3 due to the circumstances of losing Sr. It comes down to the owners of the numbers (and $$$) and if they can put a driver in the car that can understand the significance of what that number means, rather it be #3, #22, #43 or one day the #24 or #48.
Excellent point USNRET04! Its an emotional thing for the fans. Fans don't run teams.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,668,155 times
I get the #3 on the pole conspiracy theory.. i don't buy it, but i get it. I also am glad to see the #3 back on the track. I think its time... I don't think Earnhardt fans would be nearly as upset had Jr been the driver instead of Dillon. I think many Earnhardt fans feel that Dillon simply has not earned the number, I guess that is true. But the number belongs to Richard. That was his number when he was the driver of a 1 car team. I know Jr gave his blessing and I am sure Sr would do the same.. and if they are ok with it, then so am I.

IMO, Richard and Dale together made the #3 what it was and neither would have been nearly as successful without the other...

I know I will be cheering for Dillon as he leads the pack down the back stretch to start the Daytona 500 and no doubt there will be some boos, but I am willing to bet there will be more cheers than boos..

Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Apparently NASCAR didn't fix Dillon's car enough because Truex came within .004 of knocking him off the pole. Austin may not be a crowd favorite, but the kid has more talent than Paul Menard and John Wrecks Weekly...the other two drivers who got their rides because of money and name recognition.
If Dillon won the pole (he did) then apparently NASCAR did in fact fix the car well enough. So assuming your conspiracy theory is a possibility, your statement is incorrect.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:43 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If Dillon won the pole (he did) then apparently NASCAR did in fact fix the car well enough. So assuming your conspiracy theory is a possibility, your statement is incorrect.
I'm not big on NASCAR conspiracy theories. I was merely trying to point out that had Truex not bottomed out in 1 & 2 on his 2nd lap, he would have likely won the pole. RCR engines were strong all throughout offseason testing, and Furniture Row is affiliated with them. They no doubt benefited from Hendrick throttling back their engines a bit when Stewart and Patrick went up in smoke, but Austin winning the pole wasn't a stretch at all.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'm not big on NASCAR conspiracy theories. I was merely trying to point out that had Truex not bottomed out in 1 & 2 on his 2nd lap, he would have likely won the pole. RCR engines were strong all throughout offseason testing, and Furniture Row is affiliated with them. They no doubt benefited from Hendrick throttling back their engines a bit when Stewart and Patrick went up in smoke, but Austin winning the pole wasn't a stretch at all.
Had XYZ not ABC in situation 123 he/she would have won the pole/race/championship. Racing can always be a matter of thousandths of a second between drivers.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
But was he spotted anywhere near the pace car last night?
Are you thinking shoe bomb?
C4 on the coil pack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing