Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM

80 posts, read 353,763 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has any pros or cons to share about
adding an additional room (or two) to a house by working with
a contractor. I was looking for information on:

- approximate price range/sq foot
(If I buy a home in a neighborhood of $150/sq foot homes, is it
fair to assume that the maximum expense will be $150/sq foot?
I am not counting the "land component" of the price, so
this should be a very conservative estimate.
- pros and cons of working with contractors
for example, do they finish on time, are they remotely close to
the estimates they provide, quality of construction materials,
where to check up on someone before signing up.
- approvals (permits and HOAs)

If I really like a neighborhood, but cannot find a home or price I like,
this seems like a good choice, but having never done this before,
I would love to hear from someone that has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
I have not done that (the expansion thing) but my parents have and several friends over the years. My number one suggestion is sort of a no-brainer, BUT - do not go with the lowest bid. Find a good contractor (by personal recommendation is usually best) and ask for references and CALL them to see how they liked the work.

Also, depending on what you are doing, it is sure nice to have all this done BEFORE you move in...it goes faster and is a lot less miserable. The dust, noise, temperature issues, etc. are a pain to deal with and can be really bad depending on how much area is affected and exactly where.

As for cost, I am not sure on specifics, but as you point out, you already own the land. In the pricier neighborhoods, the cost of the land is a significant portion of the house value, so you should get a lower $/sq ft cost than the house is valued at. Of course, an expensive contractor in a low price neighborhood may cost more, but I think that would be a relatively unique situation.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
Sorry, can't give you an estimate of max $ per sf based on neighborhood sales prices. They are not comparable. The sales price is a retail price of a complete home. Addon construction $ per sf will depend dramatically on what you are adding on and how you do it. Adding a bedroom will be much cheaper than adding on a bathroom or a kitchen. You can easily see the variables involved in determing the price of the added space when you consider the different components, and quality of the components desired, of different spaces and how you intend to use them. Depending upon the specific roof and floorplan, the same room addition can have drastically different costs based on how much modification must be done to the existing structures to integrate them and make them look good.

I don't think you will get a reasonable estimate in this general a discussion. You will have to bite the bullet and get actual estimates to get in the ballpark.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtech View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any pros or cons to share about
adding an additional room (or two) to a house by working with
a contractor. I was looking for information on:

- approximate price range/sq foot
(If I buy a home in a neighborhood of $150/sq foot homes, is it
fair to assume that the maximum expense will be $150/sq foot?
I am not counting the "land component" of the price, so
this should be a very conservative estimate.
- pros and cons of working with contractors
for example, do they finish on time, are they remotely close to
the estimates they provide, quality of construction materials,
where to check up on someone before signing up.
- approvals (permits and HOAs)

If I really like a neighborhood, but cannot find a home or price I like,
this seems like a good choice, but having never done this before,
I would love to hear from someone that has.
I could be totally wrong here, but I think you can build at a reasonable level of quality for about $100/sq ft (granite, wood/tile floors etc). At $200/sq ft you are in the extremely nice amenities range.

When we priced "dry in" i.e. enough to keep the rain out, the dry in cost was about 30/sq ft.

If you look at lower end houses, they often sell new for 80/sq ft. The land is almost worth zero so that pretty much sets the floor for construction in my view.

An addition should be less expensive than a remodel, but there is some demo that has to be done and they have to integrate with the existing structure which will cost a little more.

In an area of 200/sq ft sales price I think additions are a no brainer.

(This advice is worth what you paid for it).

Old 06-09-2007, 12:47 AM

701 posts, read 2,483,202 times
Also, with additions don't they base your taxes on the size of the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: