Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 AM

308 posts, read 601,538 times

Advertisements

Becareful if you are looking at buying either an Centex or Pulte home.
They seem that they are doing bad practices for not paying wages to the the labor contractors.

This was held here in Austin:

Check the video:
Social Justice x Citizen Journalism: Workers Defense Project - Action Against Centex/Pulte Homes for Unpaid Wages in Austin

Austin News: When a House Is Not a Home - AustinChronicle.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 AM

809 posts, read 1,864,781 times
wow. I thought Pulte was a good builder at one point.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM

308 posts, read 601,538 times
Yes.. they were, but I guess the merger was not a good deal.

Also... HB's... don't think of yourself when you buy. Look at the one's who built your home from the ground up. This is not good business and it really does stink to see this happen.

And..... this is happening is Austin, which really kicks me up!!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
Becareful if you are looking at buying either an Centex or Pulte home.
They seem that they are doing bad practices for not paying wages to the the labor contractors.

This was held here in Austin:

Check the video:
Social Justice x Citizen Journalism: Workers Defense Project - Action Against Centex/Pulte Homes for Unpaid Wages in Austin

Austin News: When a House Is Not a Home - AustinChronicle.com
I don't particularly care about Centex or Pulte one way or the other. But I have spent my whole life in construction and have seen many of these kinds of disputes. I did not see any evidence in either of those articles that Centex or Pulte was responsible for the four workers not getting paid a total of $2,700. This is not an indication of a significant problem. It appears Centex/Pulte are being targeted simply because they are the "deep pocket" here.

What the blog did say was:
Quote:
In May of 2009, Marcos Cuevas, Franklin Barahona, Salvador Gamiño, and Santos Arriaza worked for a subcontractor of Centex to perform carpentry work on Centex homes. The subcontractor never paid the four workersnearly $3,000 in wages.
There could be any number of reason the workers did not get paid. Faulty workmanship for one, work that had to be torn out and redone because it did not meet the requirements of the drawings or specifications.

In any case it was an independent subcontractor who failed to pay them. Why isn't the subcontractor even named in these articles? There is no indication that Centex or Pulte did not make the appropriate payment to the subcontractor.

There is absolutely no legal reason Centex or Pulte should make a payment directly to these workers. They should be pursuing the subcontractor, that is who owes them the money.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-17-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
Yes.. they were, but I guess the merger was not a good deal.

Also... HB's... don't think of yourself when you buy. Look at the one's who built your home from the ground up. This is not good business and it really does stink to see this happen.

And..... this is happening is Austin, which really kicks me up!!
These kinds of contract disputes happen all over the world every day, why should Austin be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin