Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 PM

102 posts, read 302,082 times

Advertisements

Hello all, as many of you know, NE Austin is relatively undeveloped. Namely in the Parmer Lane, 290, Sh130 corridor. It is relatively close to downtown and at one point there were a bunch of developments coming to that area.

SH 130 retail boom - Austin Business Journal:

I know there is a new subdivision called Whisper Valley which will be breaking ground in 2010. Does this part of town have potential in the next 5 - 10 years to be a good investment? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:56 AM

593 posts, read 1,379,290 times
Technically that's in Austin/Manor depending on where you're looking. There were alot of developments going in there but because of the SH 130 Corridor, property taxes have shot through the roof. I'm talking $1,000 an acre to 10 grand over the last 4 years. I'm sure developers have to look at the cost benefit ratio of investing money to build homes in that area and then HOPE people will move there. Really, that is sandwiched between Reagan HS, PearceMS on the west, Pflugerville to the North, Del Valle to the South and Manor/Elgin to the east. I wouldn't let my children go to any of those schools. Certainly wouldn't buy property or house there becausee you would have to travel all over the place just to get anything. Nearest grocery stores and resturaunts are in Austin. So, if I'm going to spend alot of money, I might as well just bite the bullet and live in Austin proper. You might look at the new developments at the old Austin Mueller Airport at I35 and AirportBlvd.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
I disagree that you have to drive to Austin for everything if you live in Pflugerville or Elgin.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 674,136 times
That area will grow tremendously in the coming decades with suburban sprawl. A commuter rail line to Manor, with stops along the way to Austin, will only make the area more attractive.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM

593 posts, read 1,379,290 times
Yeah, you're right Roses. You don't have to travel if you're in Elgin or Pflugerville.

Also, I incorrectly wrote taxes and that should be property values.

So, yeah, things will continue to grow, get more valuable and become more attractive over time. I just think there are better places in and around Austin to invest.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Those are all good points. From my understanding, there is a neighborhood called Harris Branch that in Northeast Austin. It has an Austin address, but it is in the manor school district. It seems to be about a 15 minute drive (not during rush hour, I'm sure) to downtown Austin. Any thoughts on this neighborhood?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:57 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,742,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
Those are all good points. From my understanding, there is a neighborhood called Harris Branch that in Northeast Austin. It has an Austin address, but it is in the manor school district. It seems to be about a 15 minute drive (not during rush hour, I'm sure) to downtown Austin. Any thoughts on this neighborhood?
I might be mistaken but that may be the neighborhood where most of the homes have foundation problems due to the clay content of the soil.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Yeah, I have heard something about that. I thought the foundation issues were in some of the Hutto areas. Anyways, I will continue to monitor this area. Curious to see what will end up happening to this part of Austin. Could be good because of the relative proximity to downtown, especially because of sh130 and the projected 183a. But who really knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin