Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 04:48 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,009,173 times

Advertisements

Currently looking to buy a house with a couple acres to locate my home business to and live. Looking in marble Falls area ... Currently own a house in Cedar Park. Ive been pre-approved to buy a 2nd house without having to sell the house... thinking about renting current house out? Just have a feeling renters will trash it, plus I wont be able to cash out on the tax advantages.

Opinions , thoughts? Similar situations?

Thanks,
JP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Hard to say. There's not as much benefit with the new tax law. Will you be able to generate cash flow?

I currently have two properties that we are renting that are out of state. We are in the process of selling one that's we've owned since 2006. We never missed a beat on rent in the entire time we owned it (fairly low maintenance costs also). With that said, I've never managed my own property. A good property manager can properly screen clients for you and hopefully ease your feelings that your house is going to be trashed.

We will be using the proceeds for a down payment on a house in the area. We will be renting it as it's a 1031 exchange and we don't want to incur the tax hit.

Why won't you be able to cash out on tax advantages? Did you not live there for 2 of the last 5 years?
Sure,

we bought it as a foreclosure in 2015 . We have been living here. If we begin to rent it out though. Doesn't it turn it into an investment property? I have pumped some money into it...New Roof, Landscaping, Irrigation, New Kitchen, new flooring... etc.... it was unlivable when we bought it lol....

What do you pay for property management company? I read it something in the 200 a month range? but that varies for austin?

Our neighborhood is already a rental neighborhood as I only border 1 house that has a owner . We just feel like we cant have neighbors because everyones in and out ...doesnt feel like a neighborhood.

So your properties are not in Austin?

Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Neither property is in Austin so I wouldn't be of any help on what they charge here (I'm in the process of finding that out myself and seeing about finding a good property manager).

One properties are in Salt Lake City and the SF Bay Area. We pay 10% of rent on Salt Lake City and 6% of rent in the Bay Area.

And yes, if you rent it out, it turns into investment property.

The Salt Lake City property served its purpose for us (some cash flow and a nice tax writeoff). With the new tax law, last year was the first one in the last 25 years we were not able to itemize (so it was a good time for us to sell it).

In order for us not to have to recapture the depreciation and the gains, we will have to rent it out for 2 years and then we can move into the new house without any tax consequence.
Its hard to tell with those housing markets though! The SF housing market only has so much to offer . We Already have 100k equity in this house and its been 4 years! SLC is a good market though. Just tryin to judge how this Austin market it heading. Its been on fire and owning property in the area does not disappoint. Its currently back on fire though.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:18 PM

724 posts, read 533,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Sure,

we bought it as a foreclosure in 2015 . We have been living here. If we begin to rent it out though. Doesn't it turn it into an investment property? I have pumped some money into it...New Roof, Landscaping, Irrigation, New Kitchen, new flooring... etc.... it was unlivable when we bought it lol....

What do you pay for property management company? I read it something in the 200 a month range? but that varies for austin?

Our neighborhood is already a rental neighborhood as I only border 1 house that has a owner . We just feel like we cant have neighbors because everyones in and out ...doesnt feel like a neighborhood.

So your properties are not in Austin?
Sell it. Just take your equity and run.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,166,277 times
also your mortgage and insurance might not be ok if you transition to an investment property. Your mortgage is supposed to be for a primary residence.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,166,277 times
Quote:
Jimmy, have you lived in this home for at least 12 months? If so....fahgetaboutit.

You're not under any risk of mortgage fraud by converting your place to a rental. Most mortgage contracts have a "intent to occupy" clause which simply states that you are the original owner and live in it for a length of time (which is typically 12 months). If it's any type of traditional mortgage, this shouldn't be any problem at all. I'm guessing you qualify on this.

And yes, you should contact your insurance company.
Its probably fine, it might not be. It only takes 10 minutes to read your contract to make sure it is ok.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Jimmy, have you lived in this home for at least 12 months? If so....fahgetaboutit.

You're not under any risk of mortgage fraud by converting your place to a rental. Most mortgage contracts have a "intent to occupy" clause which simply states that you are the original owner and live in it for a length of time (which is typically 12 months). If it's any type of traditional mortgage, this shouldn't be any problem at all. I'm guessing you qualify on this.

And yes, you should contact your insurance company.
Ive lived here for about 4 years .. We did not get a FHA loan. We went conventional . So im pretty sure theres no restrictions on renting it out but I can double check.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 AM

724 posts, read 533,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ive lived here for about 4 years .. We did not get a FHA loan. We went conventional . So im pretty sure theres no restrictions on renting it out but I can double check.
If you've paid it off entirely, or intend to move back there at some point, then I'd rent it out.

If not, I'd sell. Being a landlord is not very fun when you own your own business as well.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM

4,421 posts, read 6,277,371 times
Sell it. Ask yourself do you really want to be a landlord? It's a major headache. You don't need that.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,596,107 times
Save yourself the headache; make the world a better place. Sell it to a young family that just needs a chance to build equity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin