Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 PM

202 posts, read 352,504 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who lives in Tarrytown, and has for the past 25 years. We were driving around and she pointed out that many people have bought homes there, and have completely torn them down and rebuilt new, contemporary style homes (even though several of the homes were in fine condition-no need for a complete overhaul). Now I totally get that people can do as they wish with their property, but it kind of saddens me as Tarrytown and Clarksville and such have some gorgeous old style and southern style homes....and to me it just seems ill fitting to put a super modern contemporary style home in that type of neighborhood. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 04:46 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Doesn't really matter what I think, unless there is some historic significance, the property owner should be able to do what they like. All the new homes have to meet impervious cover limits, McMansion size limits, set backs etc. Tarrytown had some big lots and as a result, they can support big homes. Most of the new homes are much more energy efficient and easier to live in (up to date HVAC, low VOC paint, robust electrical systems etc). I have dear friends who live in older Tarrytown homes and friends in brand new ones. There is significant annual expense in maintaining those older homes.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:57 PM

29 posts, read 27,792 times
I too believe that homeowners should be able to what they want with their property, to an extent. I also believe The CoA and neighborhood organizations need to be doing more to protect neighborhoods from developers who are only interested in $$$. When living in Atlanta, I was an active member of the planning and zoning Team form an exemplary civic association in my neighborhood. We combatted this very thing there and has a surprising success rate. I wish Austin residents were more active in preserving what we have, while still embracing change and growth.

It made me equally mad that these same developers are exploiting residents of the east side. We need to be doing more to protect the residents and the homes found in the east side to make sure we still have relatively affordable, modest size homes in this city and diversity within our neighborhoods.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:47 PM

202 posts, read 352,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_in_atx View Post
I too believe that homeowners should be able to what they want with their property, to an extent. I also believe The CoA and neighborhood organizations need to be doing more to protect neighborhoods from developers who are only interested in $$$. When living in Atlanta, I was an active member of the planning and zoning Team form an exemplary civic association in my neighborhood. We combatted this very thing there and has a surprising success rate. I wish Austin residents were more active in preserving what we have, while still embracing change and growth.

It made me equally mad that these same developers are exploiting residents of the east side. We need to be doing more to protect the residents and the homes found in the east side to make sure we still have relatively affordable, modest size homes in this city and diversity within our neighborhoods.
Great points Kev. I agree everyone needs to take an active role if they want to make something happen!! and of course I agree about the affordable housing!

Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_in_atx View Post

I agree with this.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
From what I personally know about in TT and tear-downs - it isn't developer driven, it is homeowner driven. And the two homes that I know of personally that came down were pretty hazardous due to age/lack of upkeep.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 PM

I have seen new homes built that, while not identical to the neighborhood, were respectful of it. And I've seen monstrosities that it sure seems would have driven down property values in the immediate vicinity, although I'm sure the homeowners who built them were very proud of them and thought they were "improving" the neighborhood, even a neighborhood like Tarrytown - some people just have to pee on everything and change it to make it "theirs" before they feel comfortable.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
From what I personally know about in TT and tear-downs - it isn't developer driven, it is homeowner driven. And the two homes that I know of personally that came down were pretty hazardous due to age/lack of upkeep.
Yes, this fits with I know too. Yes, developers drive a lot things in many neighborhoods, but those Tarrytown tear downs are mainly driven by homeowners. There can be discomfort and disconnect even then, folks doing a tear down to build a 2 million + home are often quite different in outlook from those long-time homeowners who bought their home 25 years ago and I've seen that dynamic play out from both sides too.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
I think it is great. Many of those old houses are just old and dont even fit our climate. We dont have snow so the steep roofs are are pointless.

Character of the neighborhood is just opinion.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think it is great. Many of those old houses are just old and dont even fit our climate. We dont have snow so the steep roofs are are pointless.

Character of the neighborhood is just opinion.
Oh, you must be a delightful neighbor to have. Probably one of the ones I referenced in my comment.

For the record, character of the neighborhood has actual financial impact on property values. So not "just opinion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin