Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,985 times

Advertisements

I'm primarily looking at Austin for the musical opportunity and school. I got accepted to UT Austin and had to decline acceptance. I now have too many credits to transfer there and may try to do a masters program there. In the meantime, how does Texas State University-San Marcos stack up? I've read on the boards that its mostly "frat boys and blondes with spray tans that say "like" alot." ?? and that its comprised of students that didnt get into UT. Does that make a degree from there less valuable to employers in Austin? I dont mind commuting from San Marcos to Austin but is that really how you would categorize San Marcos? A college town? Are there other colleges near Austin in less of a college town setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM

260 posts, read 904,503 times
I lived in San Marcos from 2005-2007 and during that time, felt the "party vibe" of Texas State. TX State is working on its reputation of being a party school and I've never heard of anyone graduating from TX State having a hard time locating a job. It is easier to get into than UT so the degree won't carry as much weight, but that also depends on what you are after. TX State tuition is also cheaper.

If I were young, had opportunities between the two schools, and could afford UT, I would definately choose UT.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 PM

thanks for the input.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:20 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
I graduated from TxSt with a 2.9 and within 3 years had 9 UT & TAMU honor grads working for me at half my salary. Take it for whatever it's worth.

Your school of choice may help you a bit on getting your first job, but after that no one even looks at your degree anymore. There's great students and dumb asses at every school (i.e. the Dumb Guys at Harvard Club for bad students that got in due to their family connections) and quality managers know this.

Also, what college ISN'T a party school?

Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 AM

260 posts, read 904,503 times
Quote:
I graduated from TxSt with a 2.9 and within 3 years had 9 UT & TAMU honor grads working for me at half my salary. Take it for whatever it's worth.
I agree with the above. Normally, the degree/school matters the most right after school, then expertise/knowledge combined with people skills, networking, and ambition become the critical factors in success.

I would visit both schools and do a full comparison of the programs offered in your area of study.

There are also several smaller colleges in San Antonio.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post

Your school of choice may help you a bit on getting your first job, but after that no one even looks at your degree anymore. There's great students and dumb asses at every school (i.e. the Dumb Guys at Harvard Club for bad students that got in due to their family connections) and quality managers know this.

Also, what college ISN'T a party school?

This post really helped me out. Maybe Ive been too concerned. I will look at both colleges and look at the specifics of the programs. Thanks for the help

Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 PM

90 posts, read 472,011 times
Have you thought about Southwestern University in Georgetown? I am not sure if that is the "musical opportunity" you were looking for. A quality school none the less.

Southwestern University | A Leading Undergraduate Liberal Arts College (http://www.southwestern.edu/home.html - broken link)

Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
University of North Texas is THE MUSIC school of Texas and it is recognized nation wide.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 PM

126 posts, read 408,737 times
^^^
That is true! In Texas, if you want to study music, UNT is the school to attend.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM

41 posts, read 120,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
I'm primarily looking at Austin for the musical opportunity and school. I got accepted to UT Austin and had to decline acceptance. I now have too many credits to transfer there and may try to do a masters program there. In the meantime, how does Texas State University-San Marcos stack up? I've read on the boards that its mostly "frat boys and blondes with spray tans that say "like" alot." ?? and that its comprised of students that didnt get into UT. Does that make a degree from there less valuable to employers in Austin? I dont mind commuting from San Marcos to Austin but is that really how you would categorize San Marcos? A college town? Are there other colleges near Austin in less of a college town setting?
Mind you, it's Texas. Nobody needs a spray tan. It is made up of a bunch of Texas rejects, however, that doesn't make it a bad school. It also offers different areas of studies than Texas does. Criminal Justice is a huge major down there, for example. If you look at the stats, San Marcos residents average age is 23, versus 30+ for Texas as a whole..... Yes, I'd categorize it as a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin