Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM

156 posts, read 331,322 times

Advertisements

The third photo you posted is in Brentwood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xqnjhyat4

There are tons of new tear-downs and rebuilts in Brentwood and Crestview at the moment. Maybe just drive around and see what new projects are popping up. They're usually sold before they're completed though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:47 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaaries View Post
The third photo you posted is in Brentwood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xqnjhyat4

There are tons of new tear-downs and rebuilts in Brentwood and Crestview at the moment. Maybe just drive around and see what new projects are popping up. They're usually sold before they're completed though.
That may have been true a while ago, but the particular "developer" who's responsible for many of the scrape and slaps in the area is having a tough time unloading them for the astronomical asking prices. Many are reduced and still languishing unsold.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
The last home in the OP is in Highland Hills:
Dick Clark Architecture: Bright Leaf Remodel

You definitely want to check out Highland Hills, Balcones (very pricey), and maybe some older parts of Northwest Hills (78731). Lots of original mid-century homes which have been renovated nicely.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:51 PM

37 posts, read 88,930 times
OP: Glad you're in town, checking things out. Those cool modern styles, including some passive versions, are also east of Airport Boulevard in the up + coming 78721 ZIP. The 78721, 78702 and 78704 ZIPs offer some of the best bets for close-in, new, modern architecture, but prepare to pay-ay-ay.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 32,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
OP, if you are serious you should pick up a copy of the latest Austin Home and bring it back home. You can find the magazine in most grocery stores.
Thanks yes, I bought a copy at Whole Foods two days ago and just finished reading it this morning.

I also looked at a website "austinmodern.com" and then went through the various architects listed there and looked at their own projects on their websites. Cool stuff.

We toured around yesterday with a friend of my sister who is an Austin local and a realtor/builder himself. He loves the same style we do and he took us by some great homes, some of which we were able to visit because they are for sale.

We started in Windsor Park, then on to North Allandale. Then to Northwest Hills, Highland Hills, Highland Park West, Tarrytown, Pemberton Heights, Old Enfield and then Clarksville.

One home we got to tour in Highland Park West is thought to be designed by Fehr Granger, who I do not know of. But the house it pretty classic mid century modern, though sadly it is very dilapidated. It's for sale for $649k but would have to be torn down to the studs and rebuilt to make it safe.

Our guide did point out some homes done in the Modern Hill Country style and those are very cool indeed.

Dr G

Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 PM

319 posts, read 610,284 times
Modern hill country is definitely neat, as are modern farmhouses. They blend two polar opposite styles and almost desecrate the traditional style. That aspect is very fulfilling since traditionalists fight so hard to stymie the movement, even in a modern mecca like Austin. My neighbors were furious when a builder announced plans for some new modern developments around here. The main drawback is that living in hill country, you have to look at all those hill country houses. They're not pretty. You've never seen so much beige and brown in your life. They leave no surface untouched, not even the ceilings or trim! It's hard to imagine more primitive looking buildings.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 32,008 times
In Tarrytown, which strikes me as an old traditional upscale neighborhood, we saw very majestic traditional homes, with just a little modern twist, like a metal roof, or new modern looking windows. To me it was fascinating.

Dr G

Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
In Tarrytown, which strikes me as an old traditional upscale neighborhood, we saw very majestic traditional homes, with just a little modern twist, like a metal roof, or new modern looking windows. To me it was fascinating.

Dr G

Metal roofs are very practical here --- which you will fully understand when you experience your first hail storm.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I was driving through Highland Park today and saw several houses that the OP might find appealing.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:39 PM

440 posts, read 714,622 times
Precisely why long-time Austinites are frustrated. I have lived here 30 years and have volunteered in the community and been active in city, county and state government issues - to help make Austin the place it is today. But I'm now priced out of anything central.

I could not have moved before now due to family circumstances (caring for terminally ill parent, divorce, children) and now that I can move, people are coming in from California with huge budgets compared to what someone native to Austin would have. Yes, this has been going on for some time. Yes, it's capitalism.

But it hurts to be priced out of the city you built. I still have a bit more time here and then I'm leaving. Making central housing even *more* expensive by doing tear-down new builds is depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin