Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM

325 posts, read 1,021,045 times

Advertisements

My doctor finally diagnosed me with SAD about 2 years or so ago. I have known for many years I had it to a point, but when it took over my life, and made me so weak, I thought is was something more. My husband thinks it is something more too, but I get much better when I go south. We just hate to leave our family in Wisconsin.

Thank you for your concern, I appreciate it. We are closer to moving than ever because he got a job that allows him to transfer where there is an opening. I just know he would rather not move, but I really have to. I feel bad my problem affects him so greatly.

Finally, sunshine in Wisconsin, Yeah!!!!!:

I am always looking for suggestions on nice places to live with lots of sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,401,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Finally, sunshine in Wisconsin, Yeah!!!!!:

Yeah, but it was cold! Must have been in the high 40's low 50's in Madison today. I know exactly what you mean about it taking over your life. Just hope I'm brave enough to make the leap. I don't know if I can survive another winter here.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Just hope I'm brave enough to make the leap. I don't know if I can survive another winter here.
Just do it, otherwise you'll wonder what if...

You know the old saying:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships were built for".

Old 10-17-2019, 05:24 PM

35 posts, read 44,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLopez1006 View Post
I want to thank you for your posting. I too live in Wisconsin, and find myself getting more and more miserable with every year. I spend a majority of the year in despair, and my husband has suggested that I have SAD because it is so extreme.

I have been begging my husband to move to the Big Bend Country in Texas, specifically Alpine. He is reluctant for numerous reasons.

I fear my future existence if this does not happen soon. Even in early April, I am barely getting by.

No body understands or fully cares. If we move, my husband, boys, employers and family will be unhappy. Yet I am more miserable than people can imagine here.

Whatever the case, thank you for your posting, and for letting me know that there are other people out there-- even here in Wisconsin-- that are in the same boat.

--JLLopez1006
I tried suicide from SAD twice, trust me, it is better to move and really explain the heartfelt need to your family that it is a MUST to your survival. If they dont believe you tell them you have to go and they’re welcome to come along. Moving is better than suicide. I finally moved to CA away from Virginia and my SAD is completely gone two years straight!. I consider moving an expensive all natural medication to keep me alive.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,050,549 times
This is 12 years old (yes indeed over a decade ) ---but I cant help but throw in a comment.

When I moved to Seattle back in 2011, One thing that shocked me was how obscenely long days could be there during the Summer Solstice period. It was literally still sunshine at 10pm.

Winters on the other hand were dark by 5pm.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,116,334 times
Such an old thread! I'm surprised that I didn't comment on it before. But FWIW I suffered from SAD as a teen in the midwest and then an adult in the upper midwest. Latitude is indeed key! Living first overseas in a low latitude and then in Texas (300 days a year with sunshine) made a HUGE difference.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,748,681 times
Was never diagnosed with SAD, but have a big problem with winter darkness and cold. One nice thing about Austin isn't just the latitude, but the late sunset due to being in the western portion of the time zone. The earliest December sunset is around 5:35pm, almost an hour later than Los Angeles.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:32 AM

1,062 posts, read 983,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Was never diagnosed with SAD, but have a big problem with winter darkness and cold. One nice thing about Austin isn't just the latitude, but the late sunset due to being in the western portion of the time zone. The earliest December sunset is around 5:35pm, almost an hour later than Los Angeles.
Yes people don't seem to realize how much this varies from place to place. I recently found out how early the sun sets in California in winter and I googled to see how people there cope with it, and I found nothing. No forum threads, no complaints, nothing.

A lot of places are even worse. Sunset in much of Britain is before 4pm on the winter solstice. Can you imagine the sunset at 3:45pm? By the time you leave work it's been night for over an hour

Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Kind of tangential, but it may not be just the time of sunrise/sunset that affects people; my wife travels to northern Europe a couple of times a year, and she has always remarked on how much brighter it is here than there, even during the same conditions/time of year. Mid-summer days may be longer there, but they are not as bright, and in the winter it is even dimmer. She says she doesn't really notice it until she gets back, but then everything is blindingly bright. She has never needed sunglasses in northern Europe.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:44 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,141,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Kind of tangential, but it may not be just the time of sunrise/sunset that affects people; my wife travels to northern Europe a couple of times a year, and she has always remarked on how much brighter it is here than there, even during the same conditions/time of year. Mid-summer days may be longer there, but they are not as bright, and in the winter it is even dimmer. She says she doesn't really notice it until she gets back, but then everything is blindingly bright. She has never needed sunglasses in northern Europe.
Im from up north and the sun is much brighter and stronger here. It is due to the angle relative to the sun. The closer to the equator the more the sun is directly overhead.

Quote:
UV rays are strongest in the summer months. Latitude – The sun's rays are strongest at the equator where the sun is most directly overhead. This is why in southern states, like Florida or Texas, you may be more likely to get sunburned than in northern states like Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin