Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,771,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I understand what you're trying to say, and I wish I were as optimistic. And I think that what a lot of people are trying to say -- myself included -- is that horse is already out of the barn. We can no longer control the sprawl, and it doesn't appear as though our city leaders even want to control it. To my knowledge, there's never been any mention of curtailing the growth of cheap, far-flung 'burbs that add so much traffic/congestion/pollution to the roadways and the city in general. On the contrary, The Powers That Be have done everything in their power to make sure that Austin DOES turn into another asphalt wasteland glutted with freeways and strip malls.
The good news is the course can be corrected. And, in fact, the tide of history is against sprawl - at some point sprawl will be recognized for being wasteful and unsustainable and will be relegated mostly to the dustbin of history.

Things do reverse course. Highland Mall began a retrofit last year. w/n 10 years it will go from a prison of a building set behind acres of concrete to a urban village.

S. Lamar is undergoing a radical transformation - in 5-10 years it will no longer be a strip but auto shops, adult book stores and strip malls but a grand boulevard leading to downtown. Burnet and Riverside will undergo similar transformations in the next 10-15 years. In 20 years Airport Blvd from Mueller to Highland Mall will be a long development filled will VMU. And if light rail gets passed in 2014, within 20 years of that you will see TOD everywhere a station is build interconnecting the city and making for a true urban experience. Waller Creek will be redeveloped to be a true urban park lined with shops and restaurants and homes for people who want to be downtown. If the State can get its act together the entire Capitol Complex could be redeveloped in 20-25 years. In 10 years we'll have a new med school. And in the next 20 you could easily see the Brackenridge Tract and Camp Mabry be redeveloped similar to Mueller. The Domain has already announce plans for up to 50 mid-highrise buildings in a second downtown.

That's a small sampling for what's on tap for Austin in the next 25 years.

Now - imagine what can happen 75 years after that.

We know how to stop sprawl - all it takes is vision and the political will to do so.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,384,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The good news is the course can be corrected. And, in fact, the tide of history is against sprawl - at some point sprawl will be recognized for being wasteful and unsustainable and will be relegated mostly to the dustbin of history. ...

We know how to stop sprawl - all it takes is vision and the political will to do so.
I don't disagree with anything you've said -- or your vision for these historically ignored areas of the neighborhood. And I agree, sprawl is just about the most wasteful use of earthspace one can possibly imagine. The era of modern day Levittowns are over and done, and if the rising cost of fuel isn't a testament to this, then I don't know what else is. People need to get real and decide to pare down and make do with what's available.

But there's only one big, looming problem: people love them their sprawl.

I'm not one to question others' tastes in lifestyle. But I've heard a lot, and I've read a lot ... and like it or not, there's a huge influx of people moving in who will not be content to live in condos and townhomes close to the hub of everything big and exciting. No, they will want their McMansions outfitted with 2,500 square feet of Berber, a big yard of St. Augustine, and a satellite dish in a quiet little 'burb next to a strip mall.

And I suspect that there will be far more of them than there are of us old Austinites who want to see the city stay unique, vibrant and sustainable. How, pray tell, do you solve this?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 AM

384 posts, read 1,414,753 times
good thread. interesting dialogue and discussion. really gives insight into the heart n struggle of austin.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM

625 posts, read 1,135,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Xanadu is a dirty old abandoned skating rink, if I recall correctly.
VMU+TOD=XANADU!

now we are here...

Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,135,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Curses! Now I've gone and earwormed myself.

*goes to rinse brain with lye*
*oops*

VMU+TOD=XANADU!

now we are here...

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,516,313 times
You have to stop caring about the overgrowth to continue living here. My husband, a native Austinite told me this. I keep caring and therefore I keep feeling the pain.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,921,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
good thread. interesting dialogue and discussion. really gives insight into the heart n struggle of Austin.
Left Austin (Pfluggerville) in 1987 - since then have worked/lived in 20+ states. For the last 12 years have spoken and analyzed personal financial situations on people living in different states across the country.

Yes there may be problems as the OP is stating, this can happen with any individual living elsewhere. Austin has many opportunity's that are not available in other city's. It depends on the individual to take advantage of the opportunity's available how successful they will be.

It took moving away to appreciate how special Austin is. I am proud to say where my roots are from....

Austin, Texas is one of the better places to live in compared to other city's across the country.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times
Hey! Native heer. Just wanted to tell you that I've only had time to read what I just stumbled across 1/3 of the way-must go back to work-but I like what you have to say so far - with very FEW exceptions! If the rest is good (in my opinion) then please don't go unless you and your's just need to go exploring.
Don't give up.
I traveled and love sooooo many places but this is where I came back to raise a VERY fine young man. Without you and people like you (me), what will happen?
I am a little bit older and remember far more. Such a beautiful place was bound to grow and change.
It is SO true that there are people that move here that take it for granted...use and abuse...litter...etc. Our "City Council" focuses on code compliance and shutting down home grown businesses instead of handling REAL problems!
I digress.
Don't go.
Help us.
Sincerely,
Colleen Quigley
Must go back to work...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM

300 posts, read 414,969 times
Default Why tax continues to increase??!!

I have been in Austin since 1983 when I went to UT. I really like the city and have gave up many opportunities to be relocated to West and East coasts.

However, one thing bother me the most is that why tax continues to increase when there are many people moving to Austin? Someone might argue that it costs more to support the population increasing. I agree partially. But in most of cases, we pay much more for the same service. One of the reasons that the city promotes itself for business relocating to Austin is that more business means more job and more tax revenues. There are more people to share the cost of public services and the tax should decrease. Otherwise why we want other moving to Austin?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:58 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,061,392 times
Houston here with property in Austin (love Houston) - who in their right mind wishes for a month of snow? a month of snow is called a blizzard and is a horrible situation. you ever live in a place with a month of snow? try Minnesota on for size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin