Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,719 times

Advertisements

Are there any reasonably priced apartments in the Austin area that are less likely to have kids or noisy adults? I have owned my home for the past 20 years here in Oregon and am a very light sleeper, so I think it would be better to find a place that caters to "grown ups"...in the sense that the residents are considerate of their neighbors.

I'm just about to turn 55, so I would qualify for senior housing, which is a consideration. That sounds odd to me since my idea of fun is to pop in a video game on my console, go lay out by the pool, or hit 6th Street for some music entertainment...not exactly the stereotypical senior citizen activities.

I'm looking to pay between $700-900/month for rent. I really want a nice, quiet place with a pool (maybe fitness room and free internet business office included). I see a lot of nice places on line, but I know they tend to post file photos on their websites. I would prefer to get insight from locals so I can narrow down my search before I relocate to Austin in a couple months.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Sun City Georgetown, and there is also a senior complex in the Meuller Development.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM

77 posts, read 219,407 times
Are you looking for something close to Austin? If so, then I doubt you would find anything in that price range that's doesn't have a few noisy tenants. Maybe further out is possible.

I live in a duplex close to downtown that's been pretty quiet with a range of different tenants next door, but I could never find something like it for $700-$900 mo. You're probably looking at more like $1200 to $1800 mo. or thereabouts for a duplex or condo. Smaller apartment complexes with private owners might be less noisy, but they generally don't have any amenities.

I run a box fan at night which helps drown out the neighbor noise and I almost always get a good rest. But my neighborhood is pretty quiet to begin with.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
For a quiet apartment look for a corner unit on the top floor facing onto a greenbelt. And if possible one where the bedroom does not share any common walls with another apartment. That can cut down on your noise a fair amount.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,673 times
Probably your best best is senior housing apartments. All the others seems to have noisy people.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Avoid complexes built during the boom in the 80s! I once lived in one with paper thin walls, terrible! Then moved to a much sturdy complex built in the 70s, much much better. Otherwise as was mentioned above look for a corner unit on the highest floor and away from a parking lot!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
What part of town are you looking to move to? That will help us narrow it down. Riata off Research Blvd (US 183) is a pretty nice complex with all the amenities you mentioned, but it's northwest, about 25 minutes from downtown. All apartments are noisy to some extent, but having good neighbors helps.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM

34 posts, read 55,388 times
Stay away from Villas Tech Ridge, make sure to ask the landlord if any construction is planned in the future near the apartment complex.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

773 posts, read 1,260,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Avoid complexes built during the boom in the 80s! I once lived in one with paper thin walls, terrible! Then moved to a much sturdy complex built in the 70s, much much better. Otherwise as was mentioned above look for a corner unit on the highest floor and away from a parking lot!
Isn't that the truth?! Some of those apartments seem to have wafer-thin walls. Been there, done that.

My current complex was built in the 70s, and while it's nothing to look at, I cannot hear anything on either side of the wall. It's also well-insulated and retains A/C and heat really well.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Isn't that the truth?! Some of those apartments seem to have wafer-thin walls. Been there, done that.

My current complex was built in the 70s, and while it's nothing to look at, I cannot hear anything on either side of the wall. It's also well-insulated and retains A/C and heat really well.
Could you please private message me the complex name? We may be moving at some point here in Austin and I'd love to live in a place like that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin