Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:19 PM

87 posts, read 167,213 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am trying to figure out which is the best option for us in SW Austin. Good schools are a must since my oldest is starting kindergarten next year. We are looking for a 4br, 2000+sf, 2 story (with a decent lot so the kids have room to play) for under $280k (although we MIGHT be able to swing up to $300k, but would definitely be aiming for $280k). I think my favorite neighborhood in this price range is the newer part of Western Oaks (near the Slaughter/Escarpment intersection). I am also interested in Circle C, but the houses in this price range are smaller and more dated. I would possibly consider Shady Hollow and the older part of Western Oaks, but I'm not sure about Bailey Middle School and the much older houses for Shady Hollow (nice lots, though!). As far as the older part of Western Oaks, well, it just doesn't look as nice as the newer part.

So my question is, would I be missing out on anything in these other neighborhoods if I go with Western Oaks? I would like a neighborhood with a good sense of community, with young families, where there are a lot of SAHM's (like me) and kids are outside playing. I would like an area where Trick or Treating is good at Halloween and people decorate for Christmas. I do wish Western Oaks had a pool, but we like Dick Nichols just fine, and it sounds like Circle C's pool is so crowded it's not even worth it to go. And don't you have to pay to get in, even after paying all the HOA fees? Oh, does anyone know who has the most laid-back HOA? I want an HOA, but not an excessively anal one. Last, I would prefer an area that's not too clique-ish, snobby, or conservative.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM

390 posts, read 671,815 times
You don't have to pay for the Circle C pool. Homeowners have a pass to get in and they allow grandparents to go for free as well.

I have never found it to be overly crowded. A lot of Circle C homeowners have pools of their own or friends with pools. We only went to the neighborhood pool a couple of times this year because we are good friends with a couple of families that have pools. Circle C is also building another pool complex at the corner of Spruce Canyon and La Crosse right next to Clayton Elementary.

Legend Oaks has a pool. Are you considering that neighborhood? If you end up in a neighborhood without a pool, you might want to consider joining Lifetime Fitness. The have a great indoor and outdoor pool with slides.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM

302 posts, read 691,135 times
Sounds like any of the neighborhoods you mentioned would be fine for you, quite frankly.

To add to what AMJ27 said, HOA here in Circle C is in no way anal, although if you do something egrigious they will do something about it.

Halloween and Christmas here is very cool. Halloween is like a small tidal wave of kids going from house to house. I haven't seen as many Christmas decorations this year as usual, but then again it's still early. We'll probably drive around Sunday night to see how the decorations are doing. If it's anything like last year, some areas will look like really nice (even a bit overboard, really... which is sort of cool, actually).

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
For Halloween, Wampton Way can't be beat (near Escarpment and Slaughter). Honestly, you are fine in any of those areas. The older portions of western Oaks are older houses, but the trees are more mature, which is nice. Circle C is going to cost a bit more the Western Oaks but have a bit nicer build out, even if not remodeled. I live in the newer part of WO and we love it. I can't say that there are a LOT of SAHMs, but they are there. We will be going to Mills next year for K, so although it has a good rep, we haven't had any personal experience yet.

The HOA is pretty laid back and pretty much doesn't do much unless it is egregious or there is a complaint. Also very cheap, around 250 per year. We use DN pool, and although it can also be crowded, the free part is nice - the COA doesn't charge entrance for that pool. The 2-story, 2400 sf houses are going for around 270-280 right now. I would stay off of Taylor Crest if you do look in WO, it is kind of a major route and some people drive too fast on it. Salcon Cliff a bit so, too, but not near as bad. Sommerland seems to have quite a few 'outdoor' kids in the pre-K/early elementary years.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 PM

675 posts, read 1,906,451 times
We absolutely love the newer part of Western Oaks. We live in the newer section near Neider Drive and Hitcher Bend, and couldn't be happier. We have two young boys, and the neighborhood is full of kids. Across the street, next door on both sides, all the way up and down. Halloween is a blast, even the adults get into the spirit. There are some stay at home Moms on our block. We live within walking distance of Dick Nichols park and it's great. There's also no denying that the HEB on Slaughter is one of the best in Austin. We're zoned to Mills, which is a great school, then Small Middle which also is considered very good, and then Bowie High. All the parents in our neighborhood are very involved with their kids, and involved in Mills, which I think helps Mills to have the great reputation that it does. We ultimately didn't want to live too far south so ruled out Circle C. Even though the northern part is just a few blocks from us, there's something nice about exiting on Davis rather than sitting through the traffic on Slaughter. I would say to look as far south as you can within Western Oaks, near the HEB or right by Dick Nichols just south of it.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone! I am definitely leaning towards Western Oaks. The houses (in my price range) are newer and bigger! I do like Circle C a lot, but the only houses that are coming up in that price range (well, for the most part) are about 5 to 10 years older than Western Oaks. I also like that it is a little bit more north. That information about which streets are busy is very helpful as well! I'd definitely prefer a more quiet, less traveled street.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post

Halloween and Christmas here is very cool. Halloween is like a small tidal wave of kids going from house to house. I haven't seen as many Christmas decorations this year as usual, but then again it's still early. We'll probably drive around Sunday night to see how the decorations are doing. If it's anything like last year, some areas will look like really nice (even a bit overboard, really... which is sort of cool, actually).
I DO like neighborhoods that go overboard for holidays! I'm curious - If I were to buy an older house in Circle C, would it be possible for me to do some remodeling to the exterior to make it look more updated later on? How does the Circle C HOA feel about that kind of thing? Do they go all out for the holidays in the older areas, or are you in the newer areas that go to Clayton?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,539,974 times
Every part of Circle C, old and new, goes all out for Christmas. I would not have concerns about buying an older home in Circle C. Many of them were well built in their time and have already been updated. We absolutely loved our time there. Our neighbors were like family to us and after 4 years of being gone, we still visit and keep in touch with all of them. It's that kind of neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM

675 posts, read 1,906,451 times
I'd agree - you'll see more Christmas spirit in Circle C (or Western Oaks, or anywhere in the suburban areas for that matter) than you see in the urban core. Same with Halloween.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 PM

I will definitely be taking a drive to see Christmas lights in a couple of weeks! Take note all you Circle C and Western Oaks residents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin