Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 62,454 times

Advertisements

We got a home 2 years back and sealed the grout when we moved in. I clean the floor every week with the steam mop. The grout still looks dirty. Could someone please suggest a way to clean the grout or any recommendations on the professional cleaners? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM

648 posts, read 1,182,822 times
I would say have it replaced with gray or brown grout.... Problem solved forever. What fool invented the 'brilliant' idea of white carpet, white floors, white grout, etc......?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM

5,873 posts, read 12,048,980 times
I used a company called Grout Stone & Tile Masters. They came and evaluated my floor in the kitchen and dining areas - the grout had gotten really dirty and the tile was dirty as well despite regular cleaning. He evaluated the situation and used a solution to clean the floor and grout and then re-colored the grout and sealed it. It looked like a brand new floor. Cost was about $325 for a 650 sq ft area but the cost was well worth it. He also gave recommendations on how to keep it looking good.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,697,061 times
We were pleased with Steam-It and their steam cleaning process as well as the grout re-color and sealer. We had the grout color changed to match the 'sandstone' tile. I'll bet there's a DIY color change/sealer kit out there. You just need to get the grout really clean first. The Steam-It folks extracted the steamed cleaning solution shortly after it went down. I think that's the key to getting the grime out of the grout...vac-ing it up before it can settle back into the grout. Those 'zero' grout joints we had in the last kitchen were great. Our current grout...not so much. Look for a Steam-It coupon in Val-Pak.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM

1,601 posts, read 3,004,017 times
Ahhh....at least I'm not alone in this! Our house is only two years old and why I had them install grout named 'sand' I will never know...stupid! We have a large indoor dog, so I'm cleaning my floors constantly with a steam mop. For the grout, I've found the Miracle Cleaner (also used by professionals) is the best for cleaning - I just mix it stronger than it says to. I've also considered using their acid cleaner for a deep clean (as recommended by our flooring/stone installers) but I haven't jumped into that yet. Miracle Sealants Company

We have a lot of tile and I really don't want to pay to replace it yet, or pay to have it recolored darker. I hope someone tells about a DIY product they used!

Moonlady, did that fee also include the recoloring of the grout? Did he say it needed to be resealed periodically? If the cost was inclusive of recoloring, that's not too bad...although our area would be a lot bigger than that, and hence a lot more expensive. I need to just count the tiles in the whole foyer and kitchen to see what I'm looking at space-wise.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM

113 posts, read 372,683 times
I have this same problem and this is why I will never buy a house with tile again! It's really disgusting. I have had professional cleaners come in. They are expensive (and you pay extra for the sealing) and it does not last. I found it a waste of money. Who wants to spend $150+ per year on floor cleaning? I have found that the only way to clean it is to use a Borax and water solution and a stiff scrub brush and get on my hands and knees. It has to be rinsed as well because although it cleans the grout well, it will leave a residue on your tiles. I do this at least twice a year. We are selling this house this summer. I'm looking at real estate now and, seriously, if I see tile (or at least a lot of tile that would be hard to replace) I don't look any further. It's just too much trouble. And the colors that 'hide' the dirt... really, that's gross. The dirt is there, you just can't see it as much.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM

5,873 posts, read 12,048,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Ahhh....at least I'm not alone in this! Our house is only two years old and why I had them install grout named 'sand' I will never know...stupid! We have a large indoor dog, so I'm cleaning my floors constantly with a steam mop. For the grout, I've found the Miracle Cleaner (also used by professionals) is the best for cleaning - I just mix it stronger than it says to. I've also considered using their acid cleaner for a deep clean (as recommended by our flooring/stone installers) but I haven't jumped into that yet. Miracle Sealants Company

We have a lot of tile and I really don't want to pay to replace it yet, or pay to have it recolored darker. I hope someone tells about a DIY product they used!

Moonlady, did that fee also include the recoloring of the grout? Did he say it needed to be resealed periodically? If the cost was inclusive of recoloring, that's not too bad...although our area would be a lot bigger than that, and hence a lot more expensive. I need to just count the tiles in the whole foyer and kitchen to see what I'm looking at space-wise.
Yes, it included the recoloring. Our tile floor was about 7 years old so I thought it was well worth the money to have it look new again. I am hoping with the instructions he gave us I can keep it looking good for several more years but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You have to pay for carpet cleaning, so why wouldn't you do the same for tile?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM

1,601 posts, read 3,004,017 times
How long has it been since you had it done, MoonLady? Does it still look clean?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM

156 posts, read 333,260 times
Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser works well, but it's like a fine sandpaper and takes material off, so you have to reseal after you do it.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

113 posts, read 372,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Yes, it included the recoloring. Our tile floor was about 7 years old so I thought it was well worth the money to have it look new again. I am hoping with the instructions he gave us I can keep it looking good for several more years but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You have to pay for carpet cleaning, so why wouldn't you do the same for tile?
If you need to do it every 7 years, that's not bad at all. We've got wide white grout in between green tiles. Horrible! I can't handle it after 4-6 months. I wouldn't pay for cleaning that often... and don't have wall-to-wall carpeting, three floors of hardwoods (virtually maintenance free compared to the kitchen and sunroom tile). I use my Rainbow to clean my rugs myself anyway. If we were staying in this house, I would replace the tile floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin