Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM

17 posts, read 75,055 times

Advertisements

In Austin, I am looking for a fun and reasonably priced neighborhood to open an office and be able to walk home. I am in my thirties, hetero, single, love live music and would ideally spend $500 for around 300 square feet of office space and another $400+ in rent for a total office/apartment budget of $800 to $1,200 a month. Please give me your input on a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood for work and play. Thank you.

Riverrock sounds fun and affordable but I just left a Los-Angeles area where all the singles were college kids or restaurant workers. Is that how Riverrock is? If so, is there a neighborhood like Riverrock but with late-twenty/thirty-something professionals?

SoCO sounds great but I would probably have to combine my apartment with the office to afford it based on what I've heard. That would eventually require employees to come to my residence (kind of weird), plus there might be tax and legal issues depending on Texas laws about doing such a thing.

Just looking for a neighborhood that combines nightlife, with a bit older singles and has office pricing reflective of the tougher times. BTW, if there are concerns over another "I am coming to Austin to over-congest it like Atlanta"-post I would just say: 1.) I will be getting down there and researching before making a final decision on where in the country to go. 2.) I will be bringing a job or two with me and 3.) I won't be driving a car until I meet a cool enough girl that MAKES me get a car so no more road congestion outta me. Heh. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,594 times
I think 400 for rent in the city would be an awful dump. You might want to try to find a roommate wanted type situation.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,066,732 times
You budget isn't realistic for what you desire. Anything walkable will be Central, which is expensive.
Good Luck,
Steve

Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Perhaps instead of renting an office we all just work out of our homes. I will have some employees back in my homestate doing that. It leaves me with a whoooole lotta unused furniture and stuff though.

Problems. Problems. It makes it all worth it though when you get settled into a fun place. Work is work but you gotta let loose after 5pm. We aren't real good at the after-5 stuff in my town.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,892,555 times
You can do a shared-office type arrangement for your price range. There are different ones all around town, from artist studios to cubicles to offices. You might pay $300-400 per month and get an business address, a workstation, some shared common areas/storefront, etc.

That would leave $800-900 for your apartment. Definitely enough to rent a 1BR in SoCo, which is fairly walkable for Austin and certainly a "fun" area.

Another option would be to look for live+work space. If you don't mind a bit of a "rougher" area (by Austin standards), and schools don't matter, try East Austin. It's rarely mentioned as a walkable area, but in reality it very much is. I believe that part of town uses the most public transportation (buses), and lots of people walk. Artists, hipsters, and other "urban pioneers" seem to find it a pretty fun and lively area. Lots of restaurants, artist studios, etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Thx for the outta the box ideas, ATXCIO. The first time I left michigan for 3 years I hired a manager and had a real nice office space. Then, 2008/2009 hit and I had to move back here and downsize. This time, though, I'm going to sell my house, put my existing employees out of their homes and just find a way to make a move out of here happen.

I guess the trick is to approach it conservatively enough to where I don't have to keep moving back here to fix problems, but not so conservatively that I play it safe sit here and am bored to tears by my after-5 life! So, literally ATXCIO, your reaction to give some out-of-the-box suggestion rather than a kneejerk, "You can't afford it...now I'm on to the next thread" is literally a lifesaver. Heh. If you did nothing else today, please feel good about that!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,021,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Another option would be to look for live+work space. If you don't mind a bit of a "rougher" area (by Austin standards), and schools don't matter, try East Austin. It's rarely mentioned as a walkable area, but in reality it very much is. I believe that part of town uses the most public transportation (buses), and lots of people walk. Artists, hipsters, and other "urban pioneers" seem to find it a pretty fun and lively area. Lots of restaurants, artist studios, etc.
We've eaten out several times on the east side in the past month and my wife and I both commented how gentrified it has become in the past 10 years. Used to be you worried for you car if you ate at Juan in a Million. Now there's dozens and dozens of good restaurants and I don't feel unsafe parking my car anywhere. There's few places in near east Austin where I would give walking a second thought.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 AM

433 posts, read 1,658,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Used to be you worried for you car if you ate at Juan in a Million.
I'd be more worried about my digestive system than my car if I ate at Juan in a Million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: