Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:23 PM

26 posts, read 49,055 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,
so i finally moved to austin, its been six months and im yet to get a job. Ive applied every where, state, travis county, private organizations, anything that looks legal on yahoo jobs and the list goes on. I see a whole lot of jobs being advertised on the texas state website and I wonder what im doing wrong. I know the economy is bad, but Im so frustrated and confused. Can someone advise please. Is there anywhere they are hiring? I used to be a state of florida social worker. Im not even trying to match my old paycheck, just wanna find something to do. Thanks ya'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
IRS often hires seasonal employees, with tax time coming that would be worth looking into.

Seasonal & Part-Time: Austin TX Part-Time Jobs with the IRS

Also check out this thread for lots of leads

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nt-austin.html

There are a number of companies around that do seasonal work such as decorating houses for christmas, decorating and selling christmas trees, you might look into that.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...88cb887e893d25

Shopping malls and large department stores often take on extra personnel during the holiday season.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-09-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I have a friend that works at the state as a department head, and he told me that the applicants for his job postings have gone from 5 or 6 to near 100 over the last year or two. There are A LOT of people applying for state jobs.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

247 posts, read 558,838 times
Careers

MSS

Old 12-09-2010, 03:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Office Depot? I saw a big "now hiring" sign on the door of the Anderson Lane location a week or so ago, but I've no idea if that's still the case.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM

26 posts, read 49,055 times
Thanks guys, your comments are much appreciated. I did apply for the IRS positions and got three correspondences from them stating that I qualified for three positions, and that I should look out for their email as to the next stage of the application. I havent heard anything back until today. Im just worried since tax filing season starts in January? I guess I can only stay positive and keep on praying. God bless

Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM

113 posts, read 238,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
IRS often hires seasonal employees, with tax time coming that would be worth looking into.

Seasonal & Part-Time: Austin TX Part-Time Jobs with the IRS

Also check out this thread for lots of leads

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nt-austin.html

There are a number of companies around that do seasonal work such as decorating houses for christmas, decorating and selling christmas trees, you might look into that.

christmas decorating austin tx - Google Search

Shopping malls and large department stores often take on extra personnel during the holiday season.
These are all great suggestions.

Maybe you've not considered this retail option but Wal-Mart is ALWAYS hiring especially this time of the year as well as H-E-B. I realize it's not a career path direction, but consider it just temporary until you find something your that you'll really be happy with. Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Sorry to say that the economy is pretty bad just about everywhere. My advice is keep on applying. It took me 250+ resumes before I landed a job, and that's out here in the Bay Area of Cali which probably has a better job situation than Austin. Keep applying. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
University of Texas has a temp agency (U Temps) where you can apply. Many a UT worker has started there to get a foot in the door.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have a friend that works at the state as a department head, and he told me that the applicants for his job postings have gone from 5 or 6 to near 100 over the last year or two. There are A LOT of people applying for state jobs.
Yeah, I had that happen to me when I worked for the State but out of those 100 applicants, I sometimes had 0 that were qualified. I seriously would get landscapers, mechanics, etc. applying for senior IT positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin