Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 AM

196 posts, read 231,598 times

Advertisements

Yeah, like I said, those 140 Starbucks jobs mean nothing because they were negated by those businesses closing.

The unemployment is 10% and losing more jobs is not helping 23K find work.

I fail to see how Augusta is rising so fast...

Last edited by cozzy; 11-13-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
Nort... Just ignore him or get a mod involved so this guy can make another screen name and continue trolling. Anyone with a computer can google the Georgia Department of Labor and see the Augusta unemployment rate is not 10% currently. You know it and I know it, if this guy wants to look illegitimate and not research anything... let him have at it.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Nort... Just ignore him or get a mod involved so this guy can make another screen name and continue trolling. Anyone with a computer can google the Georgia Department of Labor and see the Augusta unemployment rate is not 10% currently. You know it and I know it, if this guy wants to look illegitimate and not research anything... let him have at it.
True.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is pretty short-sighted. GRU will be a welcome addition for sure, but it can't compare to the collection of notable institutions of higher learning in the Raleigh-Durham area which was the basis for the creation of RTP. The developments Augusta is landed are great, but the Triangle in NC has a very large and wide knowledge base and that's what Augusta lacks in comparison.

I can't imagine that similarly-sized cities in the Carolinas were considered for a statement like that to be made.
The statement is mentioned by transplants in the Augusta area. I didn't want you to think it's just some native Augustans who've visited Raleigh before, or have family members living there. Raleigh is certainly much bigger than Augusta, and offers more in terms of this industry. If were comparing the metros pound for pound then you can understand the statement.

Both Nathan Deal and the Board of Regents are behind Augusta this decade. The new university is only one of four comprehensive research universities in the state, and only third to UGA-GA Tech in terms of budgets. Gov Deal is pushing for GHSU to enter the top 50 in terms of NIH funds(#69 at the moment), included $5 million for the existing cancer center, and will make Augusta the home of the second NCI cancer center in Georgia(Emory)

The major point is Augusta(under 600k metro) just opened a $112 million dental school last year. The $100 million cancer center, $76 million medical commons, and $1 million Laney Walker pedestrian park is right behind(medical commons starting this year). Academic buildings, recreation areas, dorms, parking decks, etc on two different college campuses(ASU East/West campuses). A performing arts center, research center, dorms, etc on the Riverwalk(not to mention the site might include a mixed use development(Jim Jacoby) & multi-use sports complex(Cal Ripken).

Quality of life can be determined in several different ways. I know the crime rate of metro Augusta is always usually lower than Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Winston Salem, and Greensboro(Durham too, but I thought you were included it with Raleigh).

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM

35 posts, read 46,811 times
Kids! Why are we quibbling over semantics? Can't we all just get along?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post

Says right here, 10%...

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Which is pretty short-sighted. GRU will be a welcome addition for sure, but it can't compare to the collection of notable institutions of higher learning in the Raleigh-Durham area which was the basis for the creation of RTP. The developments Augusta is landed are great, but the Triangle in NC has a very large and wide knowledge base and that's what Augusta lacks in comparison.

I can't imagine that similarly-sized cities in the Carolinas were considered for a statement like that to be made.
Agree.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
That's the unemployment rate of Richmond County, and not metro Augusta.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
That's the unemployment rate of Richmond County, and not metro Augusta.

It says Augusta-Richmond county. I guess the Augusta part doesn't include Augusta. Strange.

Couple months old, but supports the 10% number.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/U...163927976.html

And again, 10%...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The statement is mentioned by transplants in the Augusta area. I didn't want you to think it's just some native Augustans who've visited Raleigh before, or have family members living there. Raleigh is certainly much bigger than Augusta, and offers more in terms of this industry. If were comparing the metros pound for pound then you can understand the statement.

Both Nathan Deal and the Board of Regents are behind Augusta this decade. The new university is only one of four comprehensive research universities in the state, and only third to UGA-GA Tech in terms of budgets. Gov Deal is pushing for GHSU to enter the top 50 in terms of NIH funds(#69 at the moment), included $5 million for the existing cancer center, and will make Augusta the home of the second NCI cancer center in Georgia(Emory)

The major point is Augusta(under 600k metro) just opened a $112 million dental school last year. The $100 million cancer center, $76 million medical commons, and $1 million Laney Walker pedestrian park is right behind(medical commons starting this year). Academic buildings, recreation areas, dorms, parking decks, etc on two different college campuses(ASU East/West campuses). A performing arts center, research center, dorms, etc on the Riverwalk(not to mention the site might include a mixed use development(Jim Jacoby) & multi-use sports complex(Cal Ripken).
All of this--which is good for Augusta--simply means it will make the city more of a college city, not another Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham has three research institutions plus a smattering of smaller colleges and universities. That's still a huge difference from Augusta.

Quote:
Quality of life can be determined in several different ways. I know the crime rate of metro Augusta is always usually lower than Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Winston Salem, and Greensboro(Durham too, but I thought you were included it with Raleigh).
Without checking the stats, it wouldn't be lower enough to make quality of life something overwhelmingly in Augusta's favor. At any rate, it definitely sounds like smaller places in the Carolinas were considered, like Hickory, High Point, Sumter, Florence, etc.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
All of this--which is good for Augusta--simply means it will make the city more of a college city, not another Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham has three research institutions plus a smattering of smaller colleges and universities. That's still a huge difference from Augusta.

Without checking the stats, it wouldn't be lower enough to make quality of life something overwhelmingly in Augusta's favor. At any rate, it definitely sounds like smaller places in the Carolinas were considered, like Hickory, High Point, Sumter, Florence, etc.
The research center, NCI cancer center, top 50 in the US for NIH funds, $100 million cancer center, $5 million towards the existing cancer center is more in line with research than being a college city.

I seriously doubt the smaller cities in NC/SC were considered, because one of Starbucks plants is located right outside of Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area