Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 14,242 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I and my wife are planning to move to Atlanta in sometime. We are currently living in Bethesda Area in MD. We are really concerned about how life would be after the move, specially after reading some comments in this forum. I know the house prices are much cheaper in Atlanta as compared to NOVA but what about the quality of life. We don't have any kids right now so we are not worried about schools and other stuff but one area of concern is the life style and safety. How safe is Atlanta as compared to NOVA ? Is it worth moving from NOVA to Atlanta for a little more money?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,545,798 times
Thumbs up Come and See for Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricinfo123 View Post
Hello All,
I and my wife are planning to move to Atlanta in sometime. We are currently living in Bethesda Area in MD. We are really concerned about how life would be after the move, specially after reading some comments in this forum. I know the house prices are much cheaper in Atlanta as compared to NOVA but what about the quality of life. We don't have any kids right now so we are not worried about schools and other stuff but one area of concern is the life style and safety. How safe is Atlanta as compared to NOVA ? Is it worth moving from NOVA to Atlanta for a little more money?
Thank you
I don't really know what life is like in Bethesda, MD... expensive and military?

Atlanta is a center of commerce with a progressive attitude.
You really need to find employment in metro Atlanta prior to moving here. The quality of life can be very good but not inexpensive. It is best to live as close to your place of employment as possible--there are significant traffic problems.

Areas of Atlanta with less crime can be found North of the city. The Northwest quadrant is probably the more affluent. Many IT professionals have settled in Alpharetta, John's Creek and adjacent areas.

The communities around Lake Lanier--Cumming, Buford, Suwanee and beyond are nice places to live. Gwinnett and Forsyth counties are experiencing major growth---expensive homes/subdivisions.

FWIW, whether you have children or not, you should always be concerned about the quality of the schools--affects resale value of homes, for one thing.

sls

Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,080,948 times
Hi, my daughter, husband and little children moved from Springfield Va to Roswell GA four years ago for job reasons, and they will NEVER move back. Not just because a return to the north would be expensive, but because they are soooooooo happy. School system is good and the neighbors in their beautiful development are mostly from up north also. Great family area. Do your research before you settle. Hope this helps...

Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,753,984 times
Bethesda is unique in its mini city center with restaurants and stores situated w/in a small radius. Atlanta doesn't really offer that. But Roswell is a great place to consider and has somewhat of a similar feel. Peachtree Street is akin to Wisconsin Avenue; Dunwoody akin to Rockville; parts of NOVA have similar suburban feels to Atlanta. But...no water so you won't see anything like Old Town Alexandria. Come check out Roswell, Historic Norcross, Alpharetta, Dunwoody and even some intown communities and see for yourself. Of course all of this could change depending on where your jobs are located.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Thank you all for your comments and thank you sweettea for drawing such a comparison. Bethesda is by far the best cities in the US that I have lived in. It has a small downtown with over 350 restaurants. It is so safe that you can walk alone in the night even at 3AM on a friday or a saturday night... We will be moving to some place North of Atlanta .. close to zipcode 30339.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Any more inputs will be appreciated

Old 05-24-2007, 01:56 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,545,798 times
Default Did you see this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricinfo123 View Post
Any more inputs will be appreciated
Here>>

'Is ATL more 'Southern' than NoVA?'

http://tinyurl.com/2z2f4p (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta