Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 19,361 times

Advertisements

Im looking to move to Georgia from California where they are now letting out prisoners due to state money issues. Can anyone give me any info about the safest places to live with good schools on a modest income level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 23,015 times
I am in the same boat as ready2makeachange. I will be moving using a Section 8 voucher. I am currently pursuing my degree online and will be finished shortly. I work to cover my expenses here in Portland, Oregon and I will do the same when I get to Atlanta. I have 3 children 10,6 & 4 and all I need is the names of good middle and elementary schools and I can take it from there.
I would prefer a mix of urban and suburban, I prefer public transit and I'm looking for a mixed area- if not available African-American. P.S. I have been looking at 30314 area code. Is that a safe area or should I look elsewhere? Thank you for all the help I've already gotten from previous posts. I'll follow up on ANY suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.

Last edited by movnritealong; 02-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 AM

859 posts, read 2,124,403 times
To be completely honest the 30314 area code is generally not a very safe area. It is in the west end area. Personally I feel ok in the area, but then again I've been in the area several times and most importantly use common sense and caution when in the area. The area is in-town in the middle of the future beltline project, prime for future turnaround (whenever that may be), but it wouldn't be my first choice now. Can't help you on the schools but here's a few links that might be able to help when using the vouchers.
Georgia Section 8, For Rent, Landlord, Voucher Program, Housing Authority
AHA

About schools check the top thread on school ratings.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 39,986 times
Quote:
first try apartmentratings.com or another site about bug concerns, check back after you've found a few and we may be able to help with concerns about the surrounding area. I hate bugs too, it would bad if you found a great apt in a great area but the had maintenance or pest issues.

Thanks for the info. I will look into it a bit more.....

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 30,423 times
Wink Possibly transferring with job in Novermber to Atlanta

Quote:
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget: $80,000
2. House/Condo/Townhome? I'd like to initially rent, but need a home(townhome). Is they a rent-to-own policy with living arrangements.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) I will be commuting? My current job will have me working near the Airport this November.
4. Children(public school vs. private) 1 child-he's 17..public High school
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two-I'd like a diverse neighborhood.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Will have a car, but still would like to commute via transit if need be.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. would like to be in the Metro area or near the suburban area with access to the metro.

I'd like to know what type of area would be a good place to live if my job will be likely near the airport. I'm thinking about coming down for a visit in the summer. I'm a single mother of a 17 year old son who's in his junior year in high school. I was thinking about either letting him stay in Boston with his dad to finish out his last year or have him move with me and transfer to a new high school in his last year. Of course he doesn't want to move. I am in my mid 40's and would like to live in a diverse neighborhood. I pay 1200.00 a month now just for renting a two bedroom -very old house. I would like to get away from the cold winters and come to a warmer climate in Atlanta. Is is true the the traffic in Atlanta is notorious? I would like some advice. I appreciate your help. Thanks for your help. Have a great day!

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM

To be honest you could find a house for 80K in the city that's close to the airport and public transit but it won't be in the best neighborhood or school district. Search homes. Atlanta MLS, No Registration, No Agent Calls, No Email Spam If you go the apartment route with the $1200 example you could definitely find a two bedroom place in the city, better area, access to Marta(public transit-with direct access to the airport) and better school districts, check out the sticky at the top of this forum for more school info. Another member mentioned equity apartments, which basically use some of your rent money as credits to assist with downpayment of your future home (up to 3%) Apartments for Rent: Search for Apartments by Equity Residential

also try apartmentratings.com apartments.com or promove.com

If commuting by car to area around airport try smyrna/vinings area for apartment hunt, nice area relatively diverse-more so in smyrna area. See in your job has a shuttle service from the airport, if so possibilities for other areas around town would open up without the need to fight traffic since marta goes straight to the airport, if that's the case, try decatur area(downtown area) or midtown atlanta for a good mix of people and things to do.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 72,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Lady1 View Post
Im looking to move to Georgia from California where they are now letting out prisoners due to state money issues.
What were you in for?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, there are a lot of us with the same question in this thread. I wonder if the people with answers have moved on to some other part of the forum...

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 72,334 times
I want to make a cash purchase at no more than $40k (to include whatever updates/repairs are necessary to make the house move-in ready.)

I've been looking on the MLS sites (Realtor.com esp) and HomePath (Fannie Mae houses). Problem is, homes in my price range are being snapped up as soon as they come on the market by investors who buy them, sight-unseen. More than once, I've called the day a "New Listing" was offered at Realtor.Com, only to be told it sold a week or two ago.

Another problem is that listings in the Atlanta market don't always identify short-sale properties. You see what you think is a selling price, and have to call to find out that the bank hasn't approved the listed price.

By now, I know I can't conduct this search long-distance without an Atlanta agent. Haven't found one yet who expressed much enthusiasm for helping me buy a $30-40k home. I can't blame them. Why spend hours of research and a day or more showing cheap houses to a one-time buyer, when you can sell ten of them to an investor who won't require inspections, etc.?

I did meet one eager broker who suggested I send proof of funds and a check and trust her to put a deposit on an 'appropriate house' to hold it until I can take a look. Call me a skeptic, but I can't bring myself to put a deposit on a house I've never seen.

Suggestions? For what it's worth, I joined Angie's List just to locate a reputable agent. The ones I talked to were certainly nice and professional, but I'm not spending enough to make them want me as a client.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 38,273 times
Default Moving to Atlanta, need some help.

Hello!

My job is asking me to move to Atlanta. I am not sure whether that's the best for me or my family... but I don't have a job anywhere else and jobs aren't that easy to come by these days. So please, let me describe what I'd like to have and tell me if it's possible down there. My job would be in Alpharetta and though I do relatively well, I am no doctor or lawyer. Think a bit sub 100k.

Also I have asthma and allergies and from reading other parts of this thread I am concerned that might be worse in Atlanta. The asthma goes away when I'm not in our coal/deisel fuel soaked valley and I never had any serious allergy problems when we lived in Orlando years ago but I am definitely allergic though primarily to weeds, especially the fall kinds like timothy and ragweed.

Finally, as you might tell from my user name; I am politically liberal and would prefer to have some people to connect with in my local area. I don't like golf or shooting things either.

1. Budget: I currently live in PA and pay 950/mo to rent a 4bd/2ba home which is walking distance from my office. I'd really like to keep under 1k.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?: I'd prefer to keep us in a house. We have a dog and he is kind of important to us, so there is that also.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute to work in Alpharetta, though I'd prefer to minimize my commute as much as possible. I hate cars and driving.

4. Children(public school vs. private): We currently have two little ones that we home school in the PA state system and I suspect my wife would want to continue that, though we would have to buy a curriculum. It would be nice to have the option of a solid public school though, in case we decide to change things.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: I don't really know how to answer this. I'd like to have a yard and a house that doesn't but up against someone elses... I am ok with driving 20-30 minutes to get groceries once a week. We don't need to be close to everything. So I suppose we're suburban/rural people, though we currently have all the things above while living in the heart of a PA city.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: That would be great. We only have one car and it would be nice if I didn't have to monopolize it. I'd rather not be forced to buy another car.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.: I don't know, families with children would be best I suppose. I have no preference for race or color, but I'd prefer to avoid any areas that are completely one color/race. So mixed.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Since you hate cars and driving, prefer a family oriented environment and for a better chance of finding a home in your price range(would you consider a 3bd/2bth house?) I'd stay in the alpharetta area, no commute, and good schools. homeatlanta.com/atlanta_mls.htm or realtor.com and search for homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta