Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 PM

114 posts, read 475,861 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all (practicing my Southern drawl!),

My boyfriend, who is currently living in Midtown in Atlanta, will be attending graudate school at Emory this fall. I'm currently living in DC and plan to move to Atlanta in the next few months. I'm looking to buy a place within the perimeter, and my price range is 300-350k. I've been out with a realtor a couple of times, and we've looked at many of the areas near Emory, and I'm starting to branch out and explore the Oakhurst (City of Decatur) and East Lake areas. I love the bungalow style of homes, and they seem like charming communities that have really come a long way in the past decade. However, I'm still wondering about the safety of those areas -- I want to be able to go out for a walk or jog at dusk in my neighborhood. Would I be able to do that in Oakhurst and East Lake? Some of the streets seem like they're well-kept, but it varies so greatly. Are there other areas of Atlanta that you would recommend?

Also, if it matters, I am an Asian American female in her mid twenties.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Thumbs up www.atlanta-midtown.com

East Lake Neighborhood Association>>>
http://www.eastlake.org/index5.html

I think East Lake and Oakhurst are safe, stable and expensive. Very desirable neighborhoods.

There is also Medlock Park, off N. Decatur Rd --close to Emory. And another similar subdivision--50's, 60's homes. Quite charming--might be more family oriented than midtown.

You might look at some areas of Avondale. Great older homes--craftsman style bungalows--IIRC.

Avondale>>>
http://avondaleestates.org/

Good luck.

sls

Old 05-14-2007, 06:14 PM

40 posts, read 353,091 times
Smile I live in Oakhurst

I live in Oakhurst with my husband and three kids. I would not hesitate to go out at dusk to jog at all - in fact I do it all the time. It is a diverse neighborhood (for the time being - prices are going sky high so I don't know how long diversity can last), but it is very safe. Decatur has it's own police force, and they are amazing, so it generally has low crime compared to surrounding areas. Nobody gets away with much of anything in Decatur.

Good luck! - I would also recommend Winnona Park or Lenox Park - though they don't have the restaurant/shopping area as close by as Oakhurst. Kirkwood and Eastlake are also awesome, but I think that they are larger so a little spottier safety wise. Kirkwood's commercial area is coming along nicely too. With these areas, you are generally OK if you stay north of Memorial, east of Rocky Fjord and west of Candler.

Check out Candler Park and Lake Claire too. They may be out of your price range - but it might be worth a look to see if you get lucky.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Where exactly is Oakhurst Park? Is it near Clairmont? Can you walk to restaurants? That's one area I haven't really explored either.Thanks!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 AM

114 posts, read 475,861 times
Thanks, sumiller and bhs. I really like the area, and it helps to hear the opinions of those living in the area right now. I'm seriously looking at both Oakhurst and East Lake, though I know Oakhurst feeds into the City of Decatur schools, so it may be more desirable. I'm not planning to have kids anytime soon, but I suppose it's something to think about for the future and for resale value.

sweettea, according to the Oakhurst neighborhood association:

"Oakhurst lies in the southwest section of the City of Decatur. College Avenue bounds it on the north, S. McDonough Street on the east, and the Decatur city limit on the west and south. Arts and Crafts bungalows predominate on most streets, punctuated by a few early ranch-style homes. New construction typically replicates the Arts and Crafts style. Front porch swings are common, as are 50, 70, and even 100-year old trees, and every street has sidewalks.

“Downtown Oakhurst” is at the corner of East Lake Drive and Oakview Road, and several businesses are also located on College Avenue. Along with a growing base of professional concerns—graphic designers, architects, the YWCA headquarters—the neighborhood is home to restaurants, art galleries, hair salons and barbershops, dry cleaners, and a wide variety of other retailers."

Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 AM

40 posts, read 353,091 times
Smile Oakhurst

Glad you found some good info. Re the schools.... Oakhurst Elementary is awesome. They are an ELOB (Expeditionary Learning/Outward Bound) school and their scores are really good. I had one just finish there and another in 1st grade and we are very happy with it. If you live in Eastlake or Kirkwood, you would be looking at either Toomer or Eastlake Elementary. They are both getting much, much better and there is a great deal of community interest in those schools, so there is a good chance that by the time you had kids of school age they would be great schools also.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Thanks, Nerak31. Will have to check it out sometime!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM
lor

7 posts, read 22,597 times
I'm a 25 year old female looking at possibly renting an apartment on East Lake right before downtown Oakhurst. The problem is the only parking is to the side of a gravel dtype path that cuts through Oakhurts Park. Is this going to be safe at night going to and from my car. Do people often cut through there and should I be worried about car break-ins??? If anyone has any knowledge of this area I would greatly appreciate it. thanks!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
I'm going to propose a different slant on this- you're moving here to be close to your b/f. He's in graduate school (2yrs?) then what? Working in Atlanta? Or is there a possibilty that (you)he may end up going someplace else? With the real estate market in its present state, are you sure you want to purchase? Granted, its a good time to buy- and will probably get even better. Which is not good for you if you end up in a home for a short period of time. Just a thought.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:19 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,873 times
K'ledge makes a great point. I wouldn't buy ANYWHERE in the U.S. for at least a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta