Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 05:38 PM

198 posts, read 153,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not if said persons can get to the mall on foot. Not if said persons can bike to the mall or lock their bikes up somewhere close to the malls. And sometimes it isn't always parents taking kids to the mall. Sometimes it could be someone of adult age with them. And consider this. Plenty of people ages 18-23 who cause alot of crime at malls. What then?
Where did I claim my suggestions would eliminate 100 percent of the crime at Lenox? Making it less convenient for non-shoppers to access the mall is a step in the right direction.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:10 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
Where did I claim my suggestions would eliminate 100 percent of the crime at Lenox? Making it less convenient for non-shoppers to access the mall is a step in the right direction.
This is Buckhead we're talking about. Plenty of ways to get to the mall without a car (or one's own car). Your solutions won't eliminate 100 percent of crime. It also won't really make that much of a dent. Consider how many people go to the mall WITHOUT their cars. If this was Arbor Place Mall in Douglasville, maybe it might work. Lenox Mall can be reached easily without a car.

If you really want to put a dent, I would spring for a larger and armed security force in the mall. And I would have someone standing at the door checking ID's of everyone going to the mall.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
You do realize that this incident with the security guy, that the teens parked a car at the Westin, a paid parking deck, and walked over?

Old 06-16-2021, 07:07 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Exactly. An approach doesn't have to eliminate 100% of crime to be effective.

Complex problems are usually resolved by taking multiple measures that all contribute to the decreased likelihood of crime.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:12 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Anyone who says things like that, I'm going to take it seriously. Said poster gave no indication, NONE, that he was joking. I need to know if you're joking, because this kind of stuff isn't funny to me at all.
This time I wasn't joking. That's how I honestly feel. I don't see America as one single country, but more like 50 separate ones. Of course this country won't split up or let any state secede, not anytime soon.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:19 PM

198 posts, read 153,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You do realize that this incident with the security guy, that the teens parked a car at the Westin, a paid parking deck, and walked over?
Where did you read they parked a car at the Westin? To my knowledge, they only fled there. Either way, the most recent shooting is one of many incidents at Lenox and irrelevant to my argument for paid parking.

Lenox has morphed from a shopping destination into a quasi-club. Unfortunately, clubs in Atlanta attract a criminal element. Disincentivizing people (via parking fees) from roaming around the mall bagless for hours on end would hopefully shift the focus back to shopping and result in a less volatile environment.

Last edited by K1404; 06-16-2021 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 07:21 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What’s the source that two 15 yr olds parked at the Westin? Pretty sure that’s just the direction they fled.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:19 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
So I'm going to share my theory with CD. Just follow me... Here's what I see happening.

After talking about all this with people that work in security and law enforcement (i.e.: The security guard that was shot at Lenox works for the guy that gave me this info I'm about to share), I'm told that a lot of the crime that's been happening is being caused by people that aren't even residents of Georgia. Often times, they're here in town temporarily.

Brings up the question: Why on Earth would someone travel all the way from Memphis to Atlanta, just to rob someone or kill someone? Seems like a bad plan. And it is a horrible plan... But that's because it most likely never was the plan at all...

So here's the theory...

Not to blame Hip Hop because I LOVE Hip Hop. Grew up on Hip Hop. It's not the fault of Hip Hop at all... But there is a relation... Often in the world of entertainment, in order to make it or catch your break in the industry, you need to be where the industry lives and thrives... People move to LA to be an actor. People move to New York to dance... In Hip Hop, once upon a time, people left Atlanta and went to New York to try to be a rapper... Then in the 90s that changed and people left New York to go to LA to be a rapper...
Quick story: Bone Thugs In Harmony... They grew up in Cleveland. All from rough upbringings and not a stranger to crime. But to make it as rappers, they left Cleveland and lived temporarily in LA to try to make it and they got lucky...
In today's Hip Hop landscape, that place you go if you want to make it in the industry is Atlanta... No better place to be if you want to be a rapper.

The problem that comes with that is, a lot of these kids (like those two 15 year old kids at Lenox were from Chicago) that want to be rappers as their means to reaching wealth are from dangerous or poor or just places where they're exposed to crime often. AND, (who knows, many but not all) are sometimes involved in crime themselves. Be it robbing or selling drugs or gang life...
Then they come to Atlanta with stars in their eyes hoping to become a rapper... They took whatever money they had, made their way to Atlanta and rented a home that them and their partners all live in together working on trying to generate a buzz for themselves... Problem is, once that money they had runs out and they have no income, guess what.......

Now, keep in mind. You're not coming all the way from Englewood, Chicago to Atlanta TO rob somebody. But now that you need money in the city, and what you did in Chicago to get that money was rob a store, you're most likely going to do that here too... You're not coming all the way from Englewood, Chicago to rob someone in Vine City, Atlanta. There's no come-up in that. And the ENTIRE POINT of robbing someone or somewhere is to gain a come-up. You're going to go where the wealth is.

I have lived in and own a home in Vine City. Internet will tell you that Vine City is and English Ave are the most dangerous neighborhoods in Atlanta... Yeah yeah... Whatever. I'm sure they think that because crime does happen there, usually by people that aren't living there though. But Vine City is not where the criminals are going to do crime... There's no value in that.

I had someone approach me a couple of years ago about renting out my house in Vine City. He said he had a group (was going to be 6 non-sibling young adults) living there in my 3 bedroom house. Again, they were just one of thousands of these stories of people coming to Atlanta to try to be a rapper. And they were willing and ready to pay me far more than my price to rent the place... It all fell through because they found "a better place" in Gwinnett...

Keep in mind that this is more of a thing today that it was in the past due to such things like Airbnb and VRBO, especially in areas of value.

In today's Hip Hop, most rappers are talking about Lamborghinis and Gucci and money this and money that, blah blah blah... If you're trying to be a rapper, you just arrived in Atlanta and you are going for the whole image, you don't want to be seen in Vine City... Most likely. Instead, you want to rent a house in Buckhead if you can, and park your rented Aston Martin out front so you can shoot your videos that you're going to post on YouTube with you talking to a stack of cash (like a phone I guess...? Cause money talks? Idk...) out front so everyone can see and think you're rich...
So now that you and your partners have put together money to get yourselves from Chicago to Atlanta and rent a big McMansion in Dunwoody, you bring along with you all your problems. All the beefs you may have with whoever else... If you sold drugs, you don't stop just because now you're in a wealthy Dunwoody neighborhood... IF you have beefs to worry about, you need protection so you bring or buy guns to keep in your house and take out with you... IF you were in a gang, that didn't end just because you're now in Dunwoody... So guess where the gangsters start showing up...

This is how all this happens in Buckhead and Gwinnett and so on...

So how to fix that situation???
Well, not entirely sure. But the one thing I DO know is Buckhead seceding from Atlanta isn't going to do ish to fix it. The environment remains the same, but the city loses much needed funding which will result in deterioration of the city... Which will have a wider effect on the entire metro area as a whole when it eventually starts to lead to loss of business...

One thing that could happen to help the situation is start having better vetting of people that are renting these places. Not a fix, but just saying. People will rent a big house to anyone with money, not realizing that you just rented your house in a quiet Roswell neighborhood to a guy that is a well known gangster and drug dealer from Miami, then wonder where the crime is coming from when the beef that followed him to Atlanta shows up.
Quote:
and think about this.........

If they're right that those kids were in Atlanta from Chicago, technically the crime in Chicago has gotten so bad that Lenox Mall has become a victim of Chicago's crime.

Atlanta can't be faced with having to solve crime in Chicago to make Buckhead safer. But we can try to look into what condition exist that allows for a criminal to travel from Chicago to Atlanta and decide that doing a crime is the choice he should make.
Quote:
But in Atlanta, it's not just Chicago. People are coming from all over to Atlanta. Usually coming to try to be a rapper. But their lives follow them.
From an APD officer I know tells me "half the time" he makes an arrest, the person is a resident of some other state. (again, these things I say are just from what I've been told. I have no true data to support other than the words of someone I know that "should" be creditable).

They're coming from Chicago, New York, DC, Miami, Memphis, New Orleans, Philly, Detroit, Alabama, South Carolina, LA, Houston, Kansas City, St. Louis, etc...
You hit the nail right on the head with your comments about much (but not all) of the crime being committed in Atlanta (including Buckhead) during the ongoing current crime wave being committed by out-of-state residents, many of whom may have come here to attempt to make a name for themselves in the extremely high-profile Atlanta Hip-Hop/rap scene.

Atlanta is an extremely highly transient city/metro that attracts many people from other cities and states all over the country.

Just as an extremely highly transient city/metro like Atlanta attracts many generally well-adjusted citizens of other states who abide by the law and make positive contributions to society, an extremely highly transient city/metro like Atlanta unfortunately also attracts a noticeable non law-abiding/criminal transient element from other states.

Some recent examples of other cities and states exporting their social problems to Atlanta are Chicago rapper King Von who was shot and killed in a dispute outside of a nightclub in Downtown Atlanta back in November 2020, and Houston rapper Chucky Trill who was shot and killed while riding on Interstate 85 in Gwinnett County back during NBA All-Star Weekend back in March 2021.

RAPPER KING VON KILLED IN ATLANTA SHOOTING ... Video Surfaces (TMZ)

Houston rapper Chucky Trill killed in Atlanta shooting, manager says (Cox Media Group)

Another big example of other cities and states exporting their social problems to Atlanta is how when New York City officials reportedly were shipping much of their homeless population to Atlanta by giving many of their homeless residents one-way Greyhound bus tickets to Atlanta during the Giuliani and Bloomberg mayoral administrations.

Because Atlanta has basically morphed into the Hollywood of the South over the last 3 decades, not to mention Atlanta’s seemingly unshakable reputation as a major national hub of illegal street racing, other cities’ (New York’s, Chicago’s, Detroit’s, Philadelphia’s, Miami’s, L.A.’s, Houston’s, etc.) major social problems often become Atlanta’s major social problems.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:08 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Up to no, I associated cities like Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and Des Moines with criminals who travel from Chicago. Chicago gangs would recruit in Milwaukee during the early 1980s. Those gangs went to Minneapolis and Des Moines later on. Chicago gang members spread into Indiana as well.
I’ve got lots of family in Indianapolis, which is a city that has been under constant siege by Chicago gangs (including and especially Chicago drug cartels) for decades and continues to be under siege by Chicago drug cartels led by aspiring (yet always severely misguided) drug kingpins today.

Indianapolis had 245 homicides in 2020, a new all-time record for homicides that eclipsed previous homicides records set during the late-1970’s, the 1990’s and the 2010’s.

Indianapolis is a very attractive city for Chicago gangs (particularly Chicago drug gangs) because it is the closest large city located down the Interstate headed south of Chicago and has a Sun Belt-like economy that frequently features robust economic growth rates in a generally slower-growth region of the country in the Midwest.

Indianapolis’ consistent robust economic growth rates especially makes it an attractive market for illegal drug sales to residents with good paying jobs and much disposable income.

Because of those factors, Indianapolis is under constant violent siege by Chicago-based aspiring drug kingpins and gangs who desire to takeover control of what is perceived to be a lucrative illegal drug trade in a high-growth lower Midwestern city that is one of the first stops on the Interstate headed south towards the higher-growth Sun Belt.

Chicago-generated drug gang activity often seems to intensify and the resulting homicides often seem to worsen in Indianapolis when either the economy is booming and rapidly expanding (as was the case with the record-setting homicide spikes in the city during the extremely prosperous decades of the 1990’s and 2010’s) or when their may be a major economic disruption (like was the case with the record-setting homicide spikes in the city during the major economic disruptions in 1979-1980 and in 2020-2021).

Quote:
I think this is the first time Chicago criminals have made such a large impact on Atlanta.
This may be the first time that Chicago criminals have made such a large impact on Atlanta, but it is not the first time that the criminal element of a major Midwestern city has made a significant impact on Atlanta.

BMF (Black Mafia Family), a flamboyant drug cartel who had direct ties to Detroit and Los Angeles, made a big splash in Atlanta’s hip-hop scene and took over most of Atlanta’s illegal drug trade for about 2 years back in the mid-2000’s before their excessively flashy behavior (including extravagant parties with live exotic large wild animals) attracted the attention of the feds and led to their legal demise.

BMF - Hip-hop's shadowy empire - part 1 (Creative Loafing Atlanta, December 2006)

Old 06-17-2021, 04:22 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
You hit the nail right on the head with your comments about much (but not all) of the crime being committed in Atlanta (including Buckhead) during the ongoing current crime wave being committed by out-of-state residents, many of whom may have come here to attempt to make a name for themselves in the extremely high-profile Atlanta Hip-Hop/rap scene.

Atlanta is an extremely highly transient city/metro that attracts many people from other cities and states all over the country.

Just as an extremely highly transient city/metro like Atlanta attracts many generally well-adjusted citizens of other states who abide by the law and make positive contributions to society, an extremely highly transient city/metro like Atlanta unfortunately also attracts a noticeable non law-abiding/criminal transient element from other states.

Some recent examples of other cities and states exporting their social problems to Atlanta are Chicago rapper King Von who was shot and killed in a dispute outside of a nightclub in Downtown Atlanta back in November 2020, and Houston rapper Chucky Trill who was shot and killed while riding on Interstate 85 in Gwinnett County back during NBA All-Star Weekend back in March 2021.

RAPPER KING VON KILLED IN ATLANTA SHOOTING ... Video Surfaces (TMZ)

Houston rapper Chucky Trill killed in Atlanta shooting, manager says (Cox Media Group)

Another big example of other cities and states exporting their social problems to Atlanta is how when New York City officials reportedly were shipping much of their homeless population to Atlanta by giving many of their homeless residents one-way Greyhound bus tickets to Atlanta during the Giuliani and Bloomberg mayoral administrations.

Because Atlanta has basically morphed into the Hollywood of the South over the last 3 decades, not to mention Atlanta’s seemingly unshakable reputation as a major national hub of illegal street racing, other cities’ (New York’s, Chicago’s, Detroit’s, Philadelphia’s, Miami’s, L.A.’s, Houston’s, etc.) major social problems often become Atlanta’s major social problems.
Don't forget, the shooter of the 7 year old girl right before last Christmas was a Virginia resident. The reason why I said what I said is people stress so much about the international borders, especially to the south of us. This is wishful thinking but if they had similar screening at our state lines and HJIA airport, and denied entry to anyone with a criminal background, we would see our numbers drop, guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta